Sign in to follow this  
Joneseo7

Question from a noob

I was wondering if there was a ranking system for online multiplayer. The last game i played like this was OFP:CWC. I really liked bf2142 cuz of the ranking system where u unlock more things as you go, and was wondering if this game had anything similar to it.

Cool, thanks. I dont play a ton of online games, but i just built my first computer and wanna get a game to play for the rest of the summer. I really like bf2 and 2142 and i really like fps on my 360, so do you think that i would like this game? I have only seen one review and that was from ign. Also i played OFP:CWC and loved that game back in the day.

Cool, thanks. I dont play a ton of online games, but i just built my first computer and wanna get a game to play for the rest of the summer. I really like bf2 and 2142 and i really like fps on my 360, so do you think that i would like this game? I have only seen one review and that was from ign. Also i played OFP:CWC and loved that game back in the day.

This game is the sequel of OFP:CWC by the makers of OFP:CWC.

Some points are missing from OFP experience, though, namely the campaign which, while being a bit better than ArmA1 one, is far too much buggy and has features that shouldn't be there in the first place, going away from the immersion and story telling OFP:CWC had.

As for unlocks as described above, be aware that they are nothing like BF2 unlocks, they are not permanent, they are there on a per mission basis : you start at the beginning of the mission without any reward, gain some by doing objectives and thus gain access to more stuff, etc... At next iteration of mission, you start it all over (though the mission is very long, so it's not all to be redone 20 minutes after start)

Try the demo if you can I think is the best advice I can give.

But there's no rankings or acheivements like the ones in Battlefield. What weapons or other material you field, as well as everything else for that matter (objectives, location, ai/players, etc), is completely specific to the mission, and any mission may be designed to give you anything or everything.

Now I know you said the rest of the summer, but this is not like your average FPS... If you loved like COD it gives you maybe 10 to 30 hours. If you end up loving arma, say goodbye to your wife, girlfriend, kids, family, friends.. no that's world of warcraft. But still, 1000 hours, 3 years, easily. You've been warned! :)

Thanks for the help guys. When u say that everything is specific to the mission what exactly does that mean. I mainly want to play this game online and that is wat im asking about. So if there is no ranking system, is there anything that tracks your stats like KDR and things like that?

No there isn't. It's nothing like the BF series in any way.

This game does not support persistent stat tracking in the sense that the information is stored locally clientside and is able to be transferred to other games. On Evolution, the stats are tracked and kept as long as the mission is still in progress, after it finishes...everyone resets to 0. On some Domination maps, they have all weapons available.

There are no unlocks in this game, per se. You either get into a server that has all of the weapons unlocked and usable...or you get into a server that you have to rank up to get new and better weapons/vehicles.

When they say specific to the mission. They mean that the mission has it's own ranking system that can have a whole different system than another mission does. and like Cheeba says. The ranks don't get saved online. It is only for the server you are on. and if the server goes down. So does your stats.

Best thing that I can tell you is that OFP/ARMA/ARMA2 is nothing like the Battlefield series. I've played 1000's of hours in BF2 and BF1942 and it is a totally different gameplay. ARMA2 is based on more realism, strategy and patience. Whereas BF2 is more of a run and gun style game (except for the Project reality mod. That mod rocks).

As Wamingo said. give the demo a try. it is very limited to that you get in the retail copy. But you do get a good fiel to what the game is about. if you are a person who craves for realism. This game is well worth your money. But make sure you have the PC to play it. Mine is borderline (Intel E6600 - Geforce 8800GT). But then again. you will find this out too in the demo.

Good luck and have fun ;)

Nothing like BF 2142. BF is a good series for what it is, but this is not in the same ballpark. Watch YouTube vids and search this forum a bit and you'll soon see. Plus get the demo and give it a try.

When they say mission, compare to playing a map in BF

Nothing like BF. Nothing.

Missions take multiple hours most of the time and are spread across the whole map.

Ok, thanks for the help guys. One last thing, each server keeps track of your stats? So if you constantly play one server you stats/rank will be saved?

No... just forget about ranks and stats. There is no such thing.

By stats, everybody means the scoreboard, where your kills and deaths are shown.

You leave the server = You lose the stats.

If the mission maker implements a ranking system as in Evolution, you can get a higher rank. When and how you get a promotion is up to the mission maker, and again, only valid for the time being on this mission.

You end the mission (or server crashes/changes mission/restarts) = You lose the rank.

Only difference between the two is, that you keep your rank (on this mission) because it is user-scripted, while the stats are in the original game and don't have the intention to be saved and reloaded after reconnect.

For better comprehension, think of a "mission" as of a "round" in other games.

e.g. at BF map, round's over after 30 min. Or whatever. :D

Edited by Andi

Ok, thanks for the help guys. So each mission is like a few hours long and you have to try and take certain objectives and stuff? Like how does a typical round go? Also im not like a huge bf fan, just one of the few pc games ive gotten into. Im dling the demo rite now too so i will probably kno more once that is done.

honor/rank system only in cooperative mode like players vs bots (f.e evolution map) and only in current session (if you change the server you lose your rank). there is nothing similar in multiplayer (players vs players).

Edited by funkee