Sign in to follow this  
Headshot119

Osprey VTOL STOL

How in an osprey do you do a VTOL (Vertical take off and landing.) Properly. I can do the landing by engaging auto hover, but when you try to take off you go forward quite a way which isn't right.

STOL (Short Take off and landing) How do you this, as far as I know in the real world the pilot pivots the rotors to 45 degrees, then applies thrust. Anyway of doing it in game apart from the dodgy auto hover method. If not it needs doing in the patch IMHO, you can't take off on the LHD flight deck without STOL.

How in an osprey do you do a VTOL (Vertical take off and landing.) Properly. I can do the landing by engaging auto hover, but when you try to take off you go forward quite a way which isn't right.

STOL (Short Take off and landing) How do you this, as far as I know in the real world the pilot pivots the rotors to 45 degrees, then applies thrust. Anyway of doing it in game apart from the dodgy auto hover method. If not it needs doing in the patch IMHO, you can't take off on the LHD flight deck without STOL.

If it's the same as the F35B, you just need to set it to auto hover while on the ground, then apply thrust. You will take off vertically.

Which is something you would know if you played the training missions!

Seriously guys. Play the training missions. Sometimes the are very helpful!

If you apply auto hover then thrust you go up, but forward at the same time, that's not a real VTOL.

This is mainly for the LHD flight deck, if your on the side by the tower you need VTOL to avoid hitting other planes on the deck.

STOL is needed to get the speed and height to take off at the same times as other aircraft.

Turn on auto hover before you take off so the engines will be faced vertically. It WILL lift off on the spot.

Right Vtol sorted but what about STOL

Just start rolling forward (as if doing normal take off), the Osprey starts lifting at very low velocities even with auto-hover off.

You do VTOL on LHDs, you do STOL on short runways not on LHDs.

I was thinking about this, is there any way that in a future patch (please feel free to say if not) the Osprey and Harrier (don't know how f-35 operates really) could have a controller assigned to vector the thrust rather than just hover or not hover? Would be good to be able to vector in forward flight and add a bit more realism to the Harrier.

Is there anyway to do a vertical takeoff with the AV-8B? I appreciate that a full bomb load would make this difficult, dangerous, or impossible in real life. I'm just curious how AV-8Bs are expected to operate from the Khe Sahn.

I've landed and taken off in a Harrier from the Khe Sahn. You still need about 75m to roll. You can do a run up from the fantail and be airborn by the time you reach the superstructure. Of course operating off a crowded deck would be another story in game (but if you watch actual ops, they give them a lot of room to run up).

Here's a clip of the real deal (and it looks about like what we have):

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/617.cfm

(launch is at about 4:10 into the footage)

Edited by Thirdup

Good question. Aerodynamically, I'm not sure they'd do anything in real life VTOL given that the wings aren't really providing any lift until after transition.

I'd guess they have no real effect pre-transition in the game, either.

Perhaps they collect the reflection of the vertical blast to enhance the initial stages of lift off.

My memory is that flaps have a small but noticeable effect in nozzle-down harrier takeoffs.

I suppose that's the straightforward answer Thirdup. I am just not looking forward to deckhandling since we're going to need plenty of scripts to get the hangar deck, elevators, and aircraft tugs working.

Speaking of flaps, what does it even do on normal aircraft? In ArmA 1 the effect was very noticeable, not so much in ArmA 2.

Speaking of flaps, what does it even do on normal aircraft? In ArmA 1 the effect was very noticeable, not so much in ArmA 2.

Flaps change the shape of the wing to increase lift or increase drag depending on the degree to which they're applied.

:)

apply maximum flaps AND auto hover.

that way atleast i can do a proper Vertical Takeoff in the MV22

AV8 cant do a VTOL irl and neither in the game, STOVL is what it can do (Short TakeOff Vertical Landing)

I Of course operating off a crowded deck would be another story in game (but if you watch actual ops, they give them a lot of room to run up).

Here's a clip of the real deal (and it looks about like what we have):

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/617.cfm

(launch is at about 4:10 into the footage)

This is also the "real deal" and of course the AV-8B should be ABLE to make an on the spot Vertical Take off.

5Fh6SqNQsHQ

The reason for using a short run instead a pure vertical take off is related to the significat difference on the fuel burned on each manuver and also important, on the maximum take off weight. (Harriers as most fighters are very limited on fuel)

Since this is not a super realistic flight simulator, I would prefer to have the option to make VTOL with the Harrier.

By the way, why the F-35 can do pure VTOL in ARMA 2 while the Harrier no?

Is there any reason for this?

Flaps change the shape of the wing to increase lift or increase drag depending on the degree to which they're applied.

:)

I know what flaps do... I worded my sentence wrong. I am a going through flight school right now in real life, albeit for rotary wing.

ANYWAY, what I meant was in ArmA 2 the flaps don't seem to DO anything VTOL or not.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Flaps seemed to slow me down a lot faster when put down and coming in for a conventional landing. I was able to land the C-130 on the Balota airstrip fairly easily with them down and touching down at the very end of the runway and decreasing thrust the whole way.... turning it round to take off again was another story.....

Well yeah, that's what flaps are supposed to do, give good slow flight characteristics for a conventional landing. Every time I land in real life I use full flaps except for weird situations like a very strong crosswind or gusting.

Why the F-35B can do V T/O and the AV-8B can't... maybe the F-35B is crazy powerful and can do a vertical takeoff with a combat takeoff load. I don't know.

What I do notice is that the F-35B in ArmA2 will switch from conventional mode to ducted mode automatically in mid flight which is kinda goofy. Anyway, this means that the thrust vectoring varies from pointed aft to nearly pointed down just based on speed. The same applies to the V-22. You need to put on autohover to tilt the thrust vectoring completely vertical for the F-35B and the V-22.

The AV-8B is not like this (probably because the AV-8B was coded for ArmA1 and the F-35/V-22 were coded for ArmA2). When you put on autohover (at least on the ground) it does not direct the thrust completely vertical. Sure you can't do a vertical take off... but you can't even try.

F-35B should have the GEAR lit when they are OUT. Just like the flaps. I get confused and think they are out when its lit up lol.

Sorry for small OT.

(probably because the AV-8B was coded for ArmA1 and the F-35/V-22 were coded for ArmA2).

Sounds like the real answer.