Sign in to follow this  
Matthijs

Need some figures: shell speed and gravity

Hi,

I am currently working on a script for indirect fire (artillery). To accomplish this I need some information. I hope someone here can help me out...

- What is the gravity in OFP in meters/second square? (m/s^2)

- What is the velocity of an M60 tank shell in OFP in meters per second? (m/s)

- Does a shell decellerate as a result of air friction? (yes/no)

(OFP figures, not real life figures plz)

Kind regards,

Matthijs

It's probobly only the BIS team who knows. But why don't you do your own experiments? Like let an object fall from a known height and take the time. Take time between firing the M60-tank and impact of the shell.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sgt bastard @ Mar. 13 2002,14:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's probobly only the BIS team who knows. But why don't you do your own experiments? Like let an object fall from a known height and take the time. Take time between firing the M60-tank and impact of the shell.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I was planning to do that. smile.gif

But nothing beats knowing the real figures. I was only hoping for someone who knows the exact numbers to read this thread. wink.gif

Thanks for the input anyway. Ever tried to do artillery using tanks? It really beats spawning some shells in mid-air. You can actually hear the shells flying over your head. It's also a nice passtime to try the range at different inclinations. (I myself in a chopper, ordering a tank to fire away at 2,3 degrees inclination... soooooo cool... biggrin.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matthijs @ Mar. 13 2002,08:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- What is the gravity in OFP in meters/second square? (m/s^2)<span id='postcolor'>

9.8066 m.s^-2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- What is the velocity of an M60 tank shell in OFP in meters per second? (m/s)

<span id='postcolor'>

900 m.s^-1

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Does a shell decellerate as a result of air friction? (yes/no)

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but not much. Air friction decelaration is:

velocity^2 * k

where k = -0.0005 m^-1

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP figures, not real life figures <span id='postcolor'>

I hope you will find it is not much different.

Wow... OFP is far more accurate than I actually thought it would be... NICE! smile.gif

Hey Suma, uhm, sorry about my the outburst some time ago... (about Oxygen). I wanna take the opportunity to take back what I said about you guys. sad.gif

Good luck programming some more.