Sign in to follow this  
Murklor

Why isnt the English version in English?

Something I've been thinking about, when playing on Russian/German/etc servers.

The text is in their set language for pre-set voice commands. Why on earth for? Isnt it preset strings, they arent transmitted as pure text from the client to client are they?

But if I HEAR "Enemy spotted" in ENGLISH and I have my game set to ENGLISH I dont want to READ GERMAN!!! Even worse when you see a different language voice command for each chat line lol.

Just curious if anyone with more experience in Arma knows the reasoning for it.

Yup, for some reason the game sends the text strings instead of the STR reference.

Not sure why though. Possibly so that unavailable strings for other ppl, will show up when sent from one Machine.

you're reading/seeing German because that's the language that the server is using. If it was french, it'd be french. Russian, russian. I suspect that you see one language but hear another because the server sends you the sentance structure. To the server, it recieves "A1, B13, F8, G9!" from a player. It then translates that into text and sends the text over the system. And since it's less bandwith-intensive to send letters, it sends the code-string to you, where YOUR computer then repeats it in English, as that is your set language.

There might be a less-confusing way to do it (|Player: "XXXXXXX"| sent instead of |Player: "le blah!" & Player: "XXXXXXX"|), but that's not what BIS did it. Oh well. At least I can figure out roughly where the server is located now via the text language.

Sorry, but you're wrong, AJsarge. Nice try though. I have seen multiple languages (more than 2) used in a single multiplayer session. The clients dictate the language of their respective radio comms.

Won't this use much more bandwith?

Yep. The localization reference strings are usually much shorter than the text they represent, so sending them would use less bandwidth.

Maybe the calls themselves aren't actually calls but just simple text sends and as such if I type a message in the talk box I get whatever message I type and not your localised version ?

I have been avoiding being part of any team or squad so have to share the same crew of tanks and getting their native language text as commands. there is kind of possible to delete all other language strings lines in configs files, it worked me in oOFP.

Next thing you know people will want chat messages translated for them... :j:

Google translation ingame? We wouldnt be able to make out a single sentence of what they are saying :p

This isnt a matter of translation however. The strings are already there. The game just have to use them.

Google translation ingame? We wouldnt be able to make out a single sentence of what they are saying

Engrish funnies? :yay:

This isnt a matter of translation however. The strings are already there. The game just have to use them.

Duh. I was criticizing him for demanding that everything being in english.

Managed to snag an example picture, although I think everyone knows about the issue heh.

armatextex.jpg