Sign in to follow this  
Alex72

LHD or whatever its called

Yes the ship in Utes.

Just a random thing if someone missed it. I drove a boat up to it to look at it (nothing to do...) and behind it is a small opening close to the water surface (or more like 1 meter up), but when i got close i had the "GET OUT" option and it took me to the side of the deck! :) Walk one ladder down to the side looking at the boat took me down again and into the boat so i could drive away.

Not as good as have the back open but at least something. ;) Sorry if everyone knew this but me. Never seen anyone mention it. Good for some missions maybe.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Well, I didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up. I was just trying to figure out if there was any way you could get into a smaller boat from the LHD. You don't happen to know if there's an easy way to make helicopters land on the LHD deck as well, do you?

Best way to land choppers is to fly in parallel to the left side, count 5 once you pass the end, engage auto hover, turn not bank 180, turn off auto hover, gently press forward, once your over the deck, ease off and thrust down.

Guaranteed LHD landing.

Best way to land choppers is to fly in parallel to the left side, count 5 once you pass the end, engage auto hover, turn not bank 180, turn off auto hover, gently press forward, once your over the deck, ease off and thrust down.

Guaranteed LHD landing.

Sorry. Spur of the moment question. I was a wee bit unclear. I meant AI landings. I can make it happen with heavy scripting. Just wondered if there was any built in functions in the game that made it easier. But this is more of an editing related question, so I think I'll repost it in an other board, once I've done some more testing.

Just re-read your post, realized now what you meant. Still that's how land a chopper on the LHD :)

I was wondering about this as well. Of all the detail that was right about the LHD, they could at least make the well deck accessable to the LAVs/AAVs inside.

Just take the LHD as an unfinished addon that will be never finished.

Just take the LHD as an unfinished addon that will be never finished.

I do, and I think it works pretty well as is. As long as the mission designer is aware of it's limitations. I've found a scripted solution to the AI landing problem. In it's current state it's mission specific. I will release it if I find the time to make it generic. Right now I'm more interested in making missions though.

The LHD has certainly something that hasn't been used to it's full potential within the game.

But on armaholics there is already work happening on a driveable LHD, and will hopefully in the future have working lifts and deck catapults.

The only thing that I really want to see soon is a way to land non VTOL STOL capable aircraft on the flight deck, you can't land most of the jets as there's no catch cables.

But on armaholics there is already work happening on a driveable LHD

... that drives like a motorboat ...

The only thing that I really want to see soon is a way to land non VTOL STOL capable aircraft on the flight deck, you can't land most of the jets as there's no catch cables.

The Tarawa class was designed to take AV-8B, AH-1Z, CH-46, OV-22, CH-53 and UH-1N as far as I know. It's not meant to let F-18 or anything like that land on the carrier. You can call it a helicopter carrier. I guess this has been discussed for a very long time now.

But on armaholics there is already work happening on a driveable LHD, and will hopefully in the future have working lifts and deck catapults.

The Wasp LHDs and Tarawa LHAs do not have catapults, nor arresting gear. As Legislator mentiones they are only operating helicopters and Harriers.

Edit:

Or launching OV-10 Broncos :)

Edited by MBot

Point I'm trying to make is that ARMA 2 needs a carrier with a flight deck and all the gear to make it possible to land jets on the flight deck.

It's realistic to field a whole MEU's aviation element with just the LHD. I really don't see the need to utlize a force larger than an MEU on the little tiny island of Chernarus.

The best way I could think to get helicopters to land in the deck would be to put an invisible H-pad setPos'd around the deck height.

Don't forget though the bit of Chernarus that's populated is tiny compared to the full map, hopefully when it's all finished in future updates we will have a need for a bigger carrier.

A huge aircraft carrier wouldn't be limited to Chernarus. I guess there'll be much more islands coming up soon where a huge aircraft carrier would be sense. Take Sahrani for example, it's big enough for an aircraft carrier. In the ArmA I campaign an aircraft carrier was mentioned at least ;)

A huge aircraft carrier wouldn't be limited to Chernarus. I guess there'll be much more islands coming up soon where a huge aircraft carrier would be sense. Take Sahrani for example, it's big enough for an aircraft carrier. In the ArmA I campaign an aircraft carrier was mentioned at least ;)

Sahrani's landmass is in fact about 80km^2 smaller than Chernarus ;)

It's not about the landmass, it's about the amount of water and usable fight terrain for planes starting from an aircraft carrier. Imagine the whole Sahrani would be conquered by the SLA. RACS fled to Rahmadi. Now the only hope is an aircraft carrier that supports with air attacks while the RACS are reconquering their land.

LHAs (Tarawa class) are the predecessor of the LHDs (Wasp class). ;)

The actual mix of aircrafts depends on mission. The lengt of the flight deck is approx 250m. Imho LCACs are missing. Zodiacs (CRRC,PBX,RHIB) are good for small/SF operations but for bigger/combined operations they are useless.

@Legislator since PRACS there are quite enough planes to stop the SLA warmongering. :D

The area of Sahrani/Chernarus are too small to simulate modern air combat and air defence systems like the S-300/400.

I think if you have an entire MEU at your disposal and you can't completely dominate the entire Chernarussian landscape then there's a problem with the commander, not the force level.

It would be nice to have a "proper" aircraft carrier in game but also this would be pretty game breaking. Just consider for a moment the problems people are already having and then consider the scale of the conflict that would necessitate the air power that a nimitz class could bring to the theatre. Now think about the scale of the machine that you'd need to run all that smoothly...

I don't think it's been invented yet, or at least not for public use.

Other games feature proper aircraft carriers complete with lifts, catapults, arresting gear ect.

So there's no reason for it to not be in ARMA 2.

Other games feature proper aircraft carriers complete with lifts, catapults, arresting gear ect.

So there's no reason for it to not be in ARMA 2.

Realism

Arma 2 is not a naval flightsim. It would be really great to see this in the game but it would be overkill for pretty much any theatre the engine could support using current hardware.

Map would need to be 3-4 times the size of chernarus at least for a start.

I think if you have an entire MEU at your disposal and you can't completely dominate the entire Chernarussian landscape then there's a problem with the commander, not the force level.
Just consider for a moment the problems people are already having and then consider the scale of the conflict that would necessitate the air power that a nimitz class could bring to the theatre. Now think about the scale of the machine that you'd need to run all that smoothly...

As everything in ArmA II it has to be scaled down ... even in missions. Nobody would place the whole crew on the carrier. Even on the USS Khe Sanh you wouldn't see every chopper and every single crewman. Everything is scaled down in ArmA II - the country, the cities, the conflict ... basicly because it's a game ;) If we had a Nimitz class carrier I wouldn't place hundreds of planes too.

Maybe some people just like aircraft carriers and what they can offer the players :)

Even if the islands might seem to small for it to be realistic..

If people would have thought what would suit the original ofp islands and whay would have been the most realistic addons, Im sure we wouldn't have seen even half the amount of mods made for it.

So what Arma's not made as a uber naval flight sim but you shouldn't saw down peoples dreams and ideas cause of that, Imo the rough shapes for almost any kind of mod is in the Arma engine even with its limits of not making a to large object cause the engine can't handle it. :)

Aircraft carriers where made for both ofp and Arma 1 as addons, some even had catapults and hooks and samsites.

none where drivable and had some geometry bugs in the edges where aircraft could fall through the deck.

But as a mission makes you accepted the bugs and worked within the limits. :)

Putting out graphics that is supposed to get into a real time engine has its quirks and limitations or rules if you want to.

Some are rock solid others are more like quidelines to quote Jack sparrow :D

Edited by Commando84