Sign in to follow this  
ZeroXX7

Should i Purchase ArmA II

I love online Shooters but have never played a Military Sim before from what ive seen im very very interested in this game, also due to bad internet i cannot download the demo.

is online well populated? and how well does everyone co-operate online e.g. tactics ect

Different strokes for different folks. I enjoyed Arma. Arma II is a huge leap forward. Plenty has been written about the game in this forum.

Online is well populated but it is not a "twitch" instant action game. So comparing it to other highly commercial FPS's is not a fair comparison. Basically, there are plenty of servers and good population playing.

On-line co-operation is dependant on the server you join as with any game. Some have very little, others are well organized.

If you have never played a military sim then it's hard to say if you should buy it or not, also if your internet connection is that bad you will probably have a few problems playing online, or do you mean that your internet is bad in the sense that you have low traffic limits?

The online is what it is, some servers you get some bunch of retards others you get some very cool people, it's pretty much like all games, although in this one I don't see retards staying for long, after all it's not only a hard game but it's also one that is kind of community driven. Anyway getting to the question, it depends if you like realism or not, if you don't like realism then forget about it, if you like fast games forget about it, if you like games that are kind of forgiving forget about it, this game is very tactical, you need to be very careful if you rambo your dead, you need to play in a team, you need to be patient etc... if you like a more slow/tactical paced game with lots of teamwork involved and large scale conflicts then this might be a good game for you to buy.

BTW don't buy it if you only intend to end up playing single player, although the single player isn't horrible it isn't that great in my opinion, doing coop missions is a blast.

Since ArmA II is quite realistic game, it attracts lots of players who like realistic tactical co-operative style of gaming. If you are into this kind of hardcore team play, I think you will find quite many groups that play ArmA II this way. To name a few, Shack Tactical, 6th Sense and Tour of Teamrespawn. Many of these groups enforce strict rules that ensure a good gaming experience for those who look for that kind of gameplay. If you are not into hardcore tactical team play and look for something more "relaxed", you'll probably find a lot of semi-tactical and also some full rambo run 'n' gun servers.

In any case, you should definitely buy ArmA II, even if you'd only play it in single player. It's great! :)

Do you know someone with a good internet? D/L the demo game from them and put it on a flashdrive, to move it to your computer

I just got it a week ago and am obsessed. I'm new to the series, so I'm still figuring things out.

Single player is so good IMHO that I sometimes play the multilayer missions alone.

Multiplayer seems a bit chaotic to me the new guy, but I hear there are squads who use the game like it's meant to be played. Mostly I see server that give a lot of money so you can bypass infantry and go for the tanks. Or so it seems. Like I said I'm still figuring things out.

There are also a lot of frustrating bugs. I had to shoot a AI squad member today that stopped listening to me. AI Trucks seem to like forests more than roads sometimes, and things like that.

But other things never fail to amaze me. I'll tell my squad to move to a house, and start towards to it only to find my squad was smarter than me and used the gully and tree-line to approach.

Every few years I proclaim the best game I ever played. It used to be WWIIOL, now I think this is it for now. I think you should buy it.

By my internet is bad i mean me Isp had a national outage a week ago and there still fixing the servers -_-

and yes i love hardcore sims, Co-Op sounds fun i would really be in it for the normal multiplayer, How is that set out? like 2 teams competes for kills of taking objectives?

By my internet is bad i mean me Isp had a national outage a week ago and there still fixing the servers -_-

and yes i love hardcore sims, Co-Op sounds fun i would really be in it for the normal multiplayer, How is that set out? like 2 teams competes for kills of taking objectives?

Public servers, good ones, are hard to find but they are out there. Also joining a clan of some kind local to your country is the best way. Clans often book servers and play coop against AI.

The bottom line for a simulator like this is can you handle crawling for minutes at a time or spending 20 minutes or more getting your sniper into position before taking out a single target or before being killed without even seeing a target? I love going the distance, spending an hour getting into position, taking out one target then changing position.

Working with a squad with chat going is the best IMO, team work ,suspense, getting rides to places and being evacuated because too many team memebers are dead or injured (no longer a fighting force), regrouping for a 2nd assault etc etc.

Even single player with random mission generator I find is exciting, works really well actually but there is nothing like coop multiplayer in a good squad.

If that appeals to you then get it but if you like BF2 style games of nade spamming and quick deaths/kills and instant action then I would say stay away.

I think the only way to assuage you're doubt to certainty, is to try the demo; it's a solid demo and fairly representative of the retail game. I understand your Internet connection quality is poopy, but you can use a free download manager, or grab the demo on Bittorrent, or perhaps have a friend get it for you and have something you judge for yourself first hand.

If you like what you see but are annoyed or frustrated by any of the bugs, don't let that effect your decision too strongly as BI have pretty much set the standard for game support. ArmA was released with a similar number of issues and complaints (actually more), and BI has steadily patched the game to near perfection -- and in fact continues to support it.

:)

In Co-op you play with human players against AI.

In hardcore team play, we never calculate how many kills people get. :) Most important is the survival of the team and finishing the mission objective.

I love BF2 but whenever i play me and a few friends join a squad and try to play with real tactics, so im guessing ill love it, one more question is Voip supported ingame?

Also Dogtags is there any good Australian Clans, Hang on the earliest release ive found for over here is Game coming out next week

There is a in-game voice chat which has a direct talk option too, in which your lips are moving and if the guy speaking is on your left side you hear it from left. Also the sound fades with distance, so it's pretty realistic. In addition to this, you have different radio channels for group/side/vehicle etc.

Unfortunately VOIP has some issues currently and is not working as well as it should, but this hopefully will be fixed in the future patch.

By the way, you can buy the game in Steam.

I love BF2 but whenever i play me and a few friends join a squad and try to play with real tactics, so im guessing ill love it, one more question is Voip supported ingame?

Also Dogtags is there any good Australian Clans, Hang on the earliest release ive found for over here is Game coming out next week

I am a member of Jungle Wraiths http://www.junglewraiths.net/

Great group and they play many games including BF2. There is a group of us that love ARMA/ARMA2. Visit the forums there, I think there is a new member forum, make yourself known maybe? there is also an ARMA forum, not overly active recently just a lot of talk about people waiting on their ARMA2 to arrive but that will change.

I think this weekend we may get into a bit more ARMA2 as their games arrive in the post, you will be welcome to join in and see how it is done, often Sunday nights and Thursday nights as well.

@ Osmo yeh steam its out on steam but as an avid game collector i prefer to have a box and disk, ill just wait till next week.

@dogtags ty ill go check it out looking forward to playing

Should you purchase it? I'd say so-- I'm absolutely blown away by it. It's not very polished but the scope of the game is flabbergasting.