Sign in to follow this  
S_Z

Assigning targets using the mouse cursor.

Sorry if this has been asked before, i have tried search for it both here as well as on the community issue tracker page.

Im having some trouble assign targets using the mouse cursor as you could do in OFP/Arma. Selecting an AI solder in my command and then pressing the right mouse button while having the cursor on a (known) enemy soldier doesn't do anything.

For some reason it does seem to work if I bring up the menu and select a sub menu like "team" or "communication" and then right click on the enemy soldier. Does not seem very logical to me :/

Have something been changed since arma/ofp or is it a known bug?

i'm very disapointed with that

it was very usefull to assign target with RMB (infantry)

The new system menu is unplesant and confused

Spacebar + LMB does the same thing (as in, attack the target via the quick launch command menu system thing), doesn't it?

I can see how that's not quite as handy as RMB, but good enough.

Spacebar + LMB does the same thing (as in, attack the target via the quick launch command menu system thing), doesn't it?

I can see how that's not quite as handy as RMB, but good enough.

I don't want my soldier to engage/attack, just want him to target the enemy soldier so he is ready to take him out on my "fire" command.

Select unit, press 3-2 to hold fire.

Reselect unit, press 2 to open the target menu.

Select unit, press 3-2 to hold fire.

Reselect unit, press 2 to open the target menu.

Yeah, I guess that is pretty much the same way as I described in my first post. You select one of your units, select a sub menu (doesnt have to be the "target"-menu) and then right click on the enemy and your unit will target that soldier.

Im having a hard time believeing they intentionally added a pointless selection of a sub menu in order to make a unit target a selected enemy. It has to be a bug.

Hopefully I haven't misunderstood your issue, but you can select an AI squad member and left click on an enemy on the map to tell him to attack.

You can do the same in first person view, eg: Squad set to hold fire/disengage. Look at an enemy through your binoculars (or look at them normally, whichever) select your squad member(s) with the F keys or space and with the target/cursor over the bad guy the option to attack is top of the list.

Tell him to engage through menu 3 and he'll move into position. tell him to fire through menu 3 and he will take him out.

Have a play around with it in a very simple editor mission, it is really cool for co-ordinating attacks.

Hope that helps!

Hopefully I haven't misunderstood your issue, but you can select an AI squad member and left click on an enemy on the map to tell him to attack.

I'm afraid you have. In ARMA 2 there's a difference between TARGET and ATTACK/ENGAGE. The difference is that sometimes it's desirable to assign your squad targets without them actually attacking or moving to attack range/angle (ENGAGE). For example an ambush can become a routine execution when you assign your ten man squad individual targets while under a CEASE FIRE order.

1: 2, target that officer.

2: Ready to fire!

1: 3, target that medic.

3: Target acquired!

1: 4, target that machinegunner.

4: Ready to fire!

etc etc

1: All, open fire.

This was a simple F2, rclick on target, F3, right click on target etc in ofp and ARMA. Now it's an extra keystroke for each order given to escape the crappy spacebar "quick" menu.

Remember; LMB is ATTACK/ENGAGE, useful for quick and aggressive take-outs. RMB is TARGET, useful for targeting non immediate threats for when they come into range or view. CTRL+LMB is FIRE, probably has more uses but I only ever use it for when I'm tank commander. ALT+LMB is watch direction, always useful as it can be used on terrain (watch that direction), fixtures (watch that house, tree, rock), units (watch that Rifleman) and can even be used on the map for instance to quickly set your four man special forces squad to watch east, west and south while you observe your target to the north.

Thanks for clarifying my issue, synch_c :) This is exactly what I was trying to say.

Its not he end of the world but I hope it's on some bug list and will get fixed back to how it was in Arma/OFP when the more serious bugs are fixed.

To target with a mouse click. Select the unit or units in your squad, press 3 once (it brings up the engage menu, don't select anything from this menu) and then right click on the enemy that you would like your unit/s to target.

Edited by stun

To target with a mouse click. Select the unit or units in your squad, press 3 once (it brings up the engage menu) and then right click on the enemy that you would like your unit/s to target.

It doesn't matter which menu you select. It only matters that you don't have the quick menu open. The quick menu doesn't seem to be able to recognize RMB. More of an oversight than a bug, really.

It annoys me as I have absolutely no use for it and can't switch it off. The command menu system could've done with a rehaul but, honestly, the quick menu isn't the answer. All it adds is an impediment to people who are used to ofp and ARMA controls and a crappy visual cue to new players that will need to learn the detailed menus to get anything out of a squad anyway. Don't want this to sound like a rant but the system wasn't broken before it was just clunky. Now, because BIS slapped on another layer instead of rethinking the entire design, it's clunkier than ever with very little added functionality and afew added frustrations. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way about the quick menu and I'm sure BIS will address it when other, more serious, issues are resolved.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Ah just found out why. RMB is assigned, along with backspace, to the "back" control which exits command menus. Delete RMB from the "back" entry in controls and targeting works as before.

Yeah, thanks mate. I haven't played either OPF or Arma so I wasn't aware of the differences. When you described them I was a bit dissapointed because the current system, which I like, suddenly seemed less cool.

Reading on has cheered me up again, as I can recreate what you described for previous games.

Ta!

Ah just found out why. RMB is assigned, along with backspace, to the "back" control which exits command menus. Delete RMB from the "back" entry in controls and targeting works as before.

That did the trick! Thanks alot! :)

[/color]Ah just found out why. RMB is assigned, along with backspace, to the "back" control which exits command menus. Delete RMB from the "back" entry in controls and targeting works as before.

Indeed nice find ! :yay:

Yesterday, I could make the RMB thing work, today I couldn't anymore, it was a bit confusing. Problem solved now :p