Sign in to follow this  
ernesto

Texture loading/LOD logic

My system:

X2 6000+

4GB RAM

HD 3850 256MB

Vista x64

I know: low video memory = more need to texture loading "on the fly".

But I want to know why ArmA II graphic engine uses a "strange" logic to priorize what and when load LODs/textures... I can see near 3d objects with no texture, simple LOD, and far ones all rendered and with all polygons.

Is it a bug or simply the way the engine handle rendering/load? In modern games I do not see this kind of behavior. I think it's must be a bug. I don't bother to have LODs and textures loading in front of me, like in FarCry 2, etc, but with a little improved logic: far = simple LOD and minor priority in loading texture.

Anything I can do? People with a lot of VRAM have the same problem... Sounds ilogic to me...

Thanks!

Edited by Ernesto

The game engine has always done this and if they haven't fixed it by now then my guess it always will at varying degrees.

My system:

X2 6000+

4GB RAM

HD 3850 256MB

Vista x64

I know: low video memory = more need to texture loading "on the fly".

But I want to know why ArmA II graphic engine uses a "strange" logic to priorize what and when load LODs/textures... I can see near 3d objects with no texture, simple LOD, and far ones all rendered and with all polygons.

Is it a bug or simply the way the engine handle rendering/load? In modern games I do not see this kind of behavior. I think it's must be a bug. I don't bother to have LODs and textures loading in front of me, like in FarCry 2, etc, but with a little improved logic: far = simples LOD and minor priority in loading texture.

Anything I can do? People with a lot of VRAM have the same problem... Sounds ilogic to me...

Thanks!

Close objects are full texture, far objects are low lod... for me.

4gb of vram with 2gb useless..

Close objects are full texture, far objects are low lod... for me.

For me too, but only after above two seconds looking at the same direction and enjoyed all the drawing of my player model and weapon after zoom out, or a 5m away building or tree... :)

Some feedback of the devs if is it normal? As a consumer, I'm curious if this flaw will someday be fixed, assuming it's a engine peculiarity and not a simple bug in rendering.

Edited by Ernesto

For me too, but only after above two seconds looking at the same direction and enjoyed all the drawing of my player model and weapon after zoom out, or a 5m away building or tree... :)

Some feedback of the devs if is it normal? As a consumer, I'm curious if this flaw will someday be fixed, assuming it's a engine peculiarity and not a simple bug in rendering.

I have the same prob as OP.

I'm going to try some tweaks and maybe 182.50.

If that doesnt fix things I'm going to hold off until these problems are fixed.

it's sad but the demo ran way better than actual game.

After many tests flyin over Chernogorsk for the LOD explosion/FPS-killer, I just don't see how this problem can be overcome(?) If the data was somehow loaded at the beginning of the map load... hmm, but that would be the same as high viewdistance. :confused: Tough problem to solve. Good luck BIS.

I really want to hear some feedback for the devs.

My rig is really "modest" for the high-end today standards, but can run other FPS titles with long view distances like FarCry2 with no problems, good performance and visuals.

ArmA II is great at screenshots, but I really don't undertand the drop in performace and glitches even looking at simple scenes. It's obviously not "my rig's fault"...

I bought a game with a system with almost all specs better than these:

"Recommended specs:

• Quad Core CPU or Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)

• 2 GB RAM

• GPU (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM

• Windows XP or Windows Vista

• DVD (Dual Layer compatible)

• 10 GB free HDD space"

Why I can't have decent performance - even lowering the graphic settings to unbeliave simple for my rig - in the 1.02 patch?

It'll be fixed or I must ask for a refund?