Sign in to follow this  
DarkMater

Tank capture, non-threat

Anyone have this issue in game:

1) I disable an enemy tank

2) enemy crew disembarks

3) get in enemy vehicle

After one completes the following, if the vehicles mobility is disabled. You are able to fire on AI enemies from it without repercussion. AI will still view the vehicle as friendly to them. So you can just sit there and mow the AI enemy down, until you run out of ammo.

Now this changes; if you repair the enemy vehicle, it then becomes hostile towards the enemy and the AI will finally engage you.

Anyone else come across this?

2) enemy crew disembarks

3) get in enemy vehicle

After one completes the following, if the vehicles mobility is disabled. You are able to fire on AI enemies from it without repercussion. AI will still view the vehicle as friendly to them. So you can just sit there and mow the AI enemy down, until you run out of ammo.

Now this changes; if you repair the enemy vehicle, it then becomes hostile towards the enemy and the AI will finally engage you.

the AI dont shoot you because the tank is disabled and class it as not a threat..

2) enemy crew disembarks

3) get in enemy vehicle

LOL. OFP1 had the same problem at times with some vehicles but, how did you know the enemy AI will not engage you did you give the crew of the tank AT rounds.

Units with less fire power to take out a unit will never engage that unit. It's the old rock, paper scissior logic thing lol.

Try this.

1. Put a empty tank on the map, put three enemy AI with AT rounds in the tank.

2. You put your self in a tank behind them When they get in hit the tank so the get out.

3. This is the trick, You must then try to get into the enemy tank before they shot you. You must put your AI on hold fire and run you ass to the tank. Have fun lol. When you get into the tank they should engage you with the AT rounds.

4. You must have the enemy AI behaviors on engage and open fire at will.

Let me know how this works for you I don't have the game yet. I am an old OFP player and know a lot about the waypoints and behaviors from OFP1 and would love to know how much is different now. When I first got the game I just tested waypoint and behavior settings for a few months before I started making missions. If you understand the AI movements and behaviors with there limitations you can make really great missions.

Most people really don't fully understand the AI movement patterns, behaviors, engage rules and yes limitations.

Have fun testing that was the best part of the game for me and making missions for coop play.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

the AI dont shoot you because the tank is disabled and class it as not a threat..

WRONG, I love people who just say things to say things. Why would they shot at a bus/civilian vechicles when you or your AI are driving! You are a threat not the vechicle.

There was an old cheat in OFP1, if you shot a enemy unit in a vehicle and kept the body in vechicle and you got in and never got out the enemy AI will not engage you until you or one of your teammates gets out. You can do all the hit and runs all day long lol.

I hope BOHEMIA fixed this because people used this to beat missions all the time.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

WRONG, I love people who just say things to say things. Why would they shot at a bus/civilian vechicles when you or your AI are driving!

What does that have to do with what he said? He said the vehicle is disabled so they won't fire on it and nothing about a bus or you driving one.

I was able to shoot enemy tanks as they drove by:

ie: I was in a t-72 and was killing t-72s as they drove by, not caring that I was downing everything around it, waiting for it to show its back side for a kill shot.

What does that have to do with what he said? He said the vehicle is disabled so they won't fire on it and nothing about a bus or you driving one.

lol you replay a lot but do you really understand what you are saying!

It has everything to do what he said. The AI did not engage him because he was in a damage vechicle it was becasuse they had no fire power to take out a tank. WOW what a concept!

Did you not read my whole quote above. The bus thing was just trying to explain the game logic to him. The tank is not the enemy the men inside are so the AI target the men and not the tank.

I hope you understand what I am trying to tell you. I don't know how I can state this anymore simple for you to understand the game logic for targeting units.

FYI:

There was another bug in the OFP/ARMA1 that was funny. If you a human player ordered a human player into an enemy vehicle that the units got out for whatever reason, sometimes the AI units with you would at first open fire at the first person who got into the vechicle. You had to tell them to hold fire and then have the human player get in and then tell the AI to engage at will to have them ready for real enemy units.

Have a nice day and you should read and try to understand for you replay!

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

I was able to shoot enemy tanks as they drove by:

ie: I was in a t-72 and was killing t-72s as they drove by, not caring that I was downing everything around it, waiting for it to show its back side for a kill shot.

What AI movements and behavior waypoints did the T72's were set on . It was not on combat and or open fire and engage at will waypoints. I will bet anything unless this is a new bug with ARMA2.

So the enemy does not see a disabled tank as a threat, even though the threatening guns on it still work?

Why does that sound a little, illogical.

@AVIBIRD: You said he was wrong without giving a reason that he was wrong. Nothing you said proved that he was incorrect. Maybe the bus thing was correct too but just because the bus thing is correct doesn't mean he was wrong. They clearly had the firepower to take him out seeing as how they were T72s.

So the enemy does not see a disabled tank as a threat, even though the threatening guns on it still work?

Why does that sound a little, illogical.

Yep this is what I am experiencing. I should state this is in warfare.

Try jumping in a disabled vehicle and kill enemies.

You will get minus points for every enemy you kill as you show up as a friendly for them. Big bug and hope it is fixed in the future.

@AVIBIRD: You said he was wrong without giving a reason that he was wrong. Nothing you said proved that he was incorrect. Maybe the bus thing was correct too but just because the bus thing is correct doesn't mean he was wrong. They clearly had the firepower to take him out seeing as how they were T72s.

once again you are replaying to something you don't fully understand.

Go back and read the post!!!!!!!! please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first question from DarkMater was Tank capture, non-threat

2) enemy crew disembarks

3) get in enemy vehicle

What I stated to him was the crew from the tank that got out will not attack the tank when HE got into the damage tank because they have no fire power to take out the tank. If the crew had AT rounds he would be dead !!!!!!!!!!!

The second question was I was able to shoot enemy tanks as they drove by:

I gave him two answers for him to check

1. What AI movements and behavior waypoints did the T72's have. If is was not on combat and or open fire and engage at will waypoints they may drive by going to the next waypoint.

2. There was an old cheat in OFP1, if you shot a enemy unit in a vehicle and kept the body in the vechicle and you got in and never got out the enemy AI will not engage you until you or one of your teammates got out. You can do all the hit and runs all day long lol.

He needed to make sure all the enemy AI units got out of the tank and one was not dead inside.

I was giving him reasons why it could happen or maybe it's a new bug but I stated that. You my friend don't read you just replay to hear yourself. How sad but I still want to be friends with you lol.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Try jumping in a disabled vehicle and kill enemies.

You will get minus points for every enemy you kill as you show up as a friendly for them. Big bug and hope it is fixed in the future.

I experienced this in arma1 but haven't tested it in 2 yet.

I started shooting crewmen from their abandoned T-90 and they ran like bats out of hell. I had to follow one guy half a kilometer.

Since they weren't about to fire at armor with their rifles, it appears to work for infantry.

if i caputre a diesabled enemy tank...shoot some enemys...and dissembark the tank will explode after a while! (everytime).

sometimes i think the enemy tank got a device detecting support vehicles...and if one comes closer then 100m it explodes!

Lots of times, i was waiting like 15 min. beside a dissabled enemy tank for my support to arrive...and just bevore it gets there the tank explodes! why???

if i caputre a diesabled enemy tank...shoot some enemys...and dissembark the tank will explode after a while! (everytime).

sometimes i think the enemy tank got a device detecting support vehicles...and if one comes closer then 100m it explodes!

Lots of times, i was waiting like 15 min. beside a dissabled enemy tank for my support to arrive...and just bevore it gets there the tank explodes! why???

I noticed this in the campain missions. I think BIS used a timer for empty enemy vehicles to explode after a short time so you can't easily capture it and use its firepower to complete the mission too easily.

This is an old bug going back to the days of Operation Flashpoint. For some reason if you disable an enemy vehicle and get into it, you will show up as a hostile to your own forces and friendly to enemies. I've had this happen to me before where I jumped into an enemy MG nest only to watch as they walked past me without noticing. However, unlike what the OP said, if I fire upon a SQUAD of people and kill one, the rest of them WILL turn hostile to me eventually. This is regardless though of friendly or enemy. If I fire upon friendlies they will eventually turn and engage me as well.

There is a good point made though. If I'm in a vehicle that cannot be significantly damaged by an enemy, he will never fire upon me. For example, if I'm ina M1A2 Abrams and stumble upon a platoon of infantry, unless they have AT weapons they will attempt to break contact, either by fleeing or trying to hide themselves.