Sign in to follow this  
WhisperingDeath

What is the FPS Command in ARMA2?

Despite using google and the forum search I am unable to locate how to turn on the in-game frames per seecond. What do I need to do to see my FPS in game?

The game doesn't have an FPS command? That's unusual.

Is FRAPS what everyone else is using when they post fps?

I have everything disabled/low, memory on high, viewdistaince 500 and I'm in the city on the 3rd mission (hunt the sniper) with 25fps. That means it's unplayable for me because I get motion sickness when fps is under 32. I bought it through steam so I know I have the latest patch.

Specs:

Monitor 1680x1050 fixed resolution

Geforce 260 GTX (latest drivers)

Core2Duo E6600 oc'd to 3.0ghz

2 gigs DDR2 800 ram

Why is it I can run Cyrsis at high settings but can't get playable FPS out of arma with graphics turned to crap? What am I doing wrong?

Edited by WhisperingDeath

I have everything disabled/low, memory on high, viewdistaince 500 and I'm in the city on the 3rd mission (hunt the sniper) with 25fps. That means it's unplayable for me because I get motion sickness when fps is under 32. I bought it through steam so I know I have the latest patch.

Specs:

2 gigs DDR2 800 ram

Why is it I can run Cyrsis at high settings but can't get playable FPS out of arma with graphics turned to crap? What am I doing wrong?

Try the game in the editor / single mission / armoury and check your fps.

The campaign is very very very CPU heavy. All AI seen and not seen really eat the cpu cycles. I would expect some sort of fix down the road but atm some of the camp missions are very beefy.

I was getting a similar problem...any combat in a bigger town would destroy my FPS to unplayable (usually in the teens). I have since used Diskeeper to defrag my HDD (the stock one that comes with windows won't do the trick); and now I can maintain ~30 in the towns. Give it a shot and see. I'm pretty sure it's because of all the different textures on the buildings, and the game had to search my HDD to load them all and it was killing performance

Specs:

2 gigs DDR2 800 ram

Probably the nvidia driver bug, try some old drivers if it helps. I suggest getting an ATi card, they at least work in games.

Some also disabled PhysX with the 2xx cards. Could also test that.

Specs:

2 gigs DDR2 800 ram

I would tell you to overclock your CPU even more :)

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S8

look here, you can pump the voltage up to 1.5V which is considered safe by intel (which means there are reserves yet). They say about my Q6600 that the thermal specification is 71°C, but I usually have it on 80°C while gaming for about a year now without problem :)

About the AI using a lot of CPU in the town - I went through the Cernogorsk mission and I had fps around 25-35 (still playable), so now I tried just walking alone through Cernogorsk in editor and found out that AI does not take that much cpu power, because my fps was almost the same as it was in the mission! It's just that big number of buildings eating power.

How to make town missions faster - lower the shadow detail, object detail and terrain detail. Shadows are the most demanding, object detail and terrain have less effect.

CPU is the biggest performance bottleneck I tried lowering CPU frequency from 3.7GHz to 2.7GHz (via Easy Tune 6) while standing in Cernogorsk on one spot and fps dropped from 30 to 20! (1600*1200, fillrate 100%, details high or medium) Overclocking the GPU had no effect...

Lowering the fillrate or both 3D and interface resolution has also almost no effect compared to lowering details. At least on my system it was either 30 or 31fps in 1600*1200 or 1280*1024...

Edited by LoWang

Being a nVidia owner, I would suggest only to use 182.5's for this game. Its the only driver that has delivered any performance on my system and has been more stable then the others too.

As for physX, did nothing for me at all but everyones mialge varies

Lower your resolution. I have an LCD with the same physical resolution but I'm playing with 1280x1024, widescreen. It adds a lot of FPS.

Specs:

2 gigs DDR2 800 ram

Welcome to ArmA 2 :(

Being a nVidia owner, I would suggest only to use 182.5's for this game. Its the only driver that has delivered any performance on my system and has been more stable then the others too.

As for physX, did nothing for me at all but everyones mialge varies

PhysX? What are you talking about? :)