im new to editing and i have a question about init.sqf

do i just make it by hiting new->text document in my mission folder? or do i need to actually make an sqf file somehow?

Sorry this might be a really easy answer but im new to making missions and i want to add more complex things to them.

i made an init.sqf file for one mission and then made briefing.sqf file and did what it said in the other thread about it but it didnt work.

right click choose NEW and text document (notepad file). rename it and make sure you delete the .txt extension, might have to enable it in windows to show extensions. Then name it init.sqf and click yes to dialog box. You made it.

right click choose NEW and text document (notepad file). rename it and make sure you delete the .txt extension, might have to enable it in windows to show extensions. Then name it init.sqf and click yes to dialog box. You made it.

I just read your post randomly and checked for that problem and this is the reason why my init.sqf aren't working.

How does one delete the .txt extension?

Open a folder window and choose: Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Uncheck Hide Extensions of Known File Types -> Ok

You should see every file extension now.

I'm using vista. I haven't seen a ''tools'' option on any of my menus? Also once I see the extensions how do I remove the .txt?

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Yar. I'm a noob.

Umm.. in Vista I think it's under the Organize button? Then Folder Options? Or View? Pretty sure it's under Organize though. heh

I'm using vista. I haven't seen a ''tools'' option on any of my menus? Also once I see the extensions how do I remove the .txt?

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Yar. I'm a noob.

Yeah, my bad on assuming you're using XP.

Umm.. in Vista I think it's under the Organize button? Then Folder Options? Or View? Pretty sure it's under Organize though. heh

Yeah I can see where it says init.sqf.txt

I just don't know how to remove the txt.

right click and hit rename and then init.sqf will be highlighted

click on the right side of .txt and just erase that part and hit enter

right click and hit rename and then init.sqf will be highlighted

click on the right side of .txt and just erase that part and hit enter

when i goto properties... dispite renaming.. its still init.sqf.txt

I have at no time the opportunity to erase the .txt

Were you able to turn ON file extensions? So when you look at in Windows Explorer you see the .txt ending?

1. Open a folder or open explorer

2. Click the Layout button (to the left of the Views button) as shown in the picture below:

vistalayout.gif

3. Click Folder Options

4. Click the View tab

5. Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

6. Click OK

Or you can just open notepad and click save and browse to correct subdirectory and enter "Init.sqf" as file name.

-KJT-

Sorry, I'm new with all this so bear with me but... Where do I make the init.sqf folder?

Depending on what player profile you use:

...\My Documents\ArmA 2\YourProfileName\missions\YourMission

...\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\YourProfileName\missions\YourMission

And init.sqf is a file, not a folder.

You guys just made my friends and I's day (or night in this case). Thanks a heap

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have followed this and now I'm wondering how to know what to type in the init.sqf to spawn units from mods?

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7285

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8413

Trying to spawn the planes from those mods, would also like to include other mods in the future.

aw man, you really need to use the SEARCH function, its in big letter top of your browser.

simple search on spawn or spawn vehicle will yield manu manu specific results.

also your question couldnt be more off topic. :j:

Mr Murrays editing guide deluxe is something you should search for aswell to understand basics and more advanced editing/scripting in Arma2, guide still applies even though its for armed assault.