Sign in to follow this  
MasterChief096

Why do people prefer Warfare over Superpowers or Civil War?

I love both Superpowers and Civil War and yet I can't find a server w/ more than 2 people playing them. Everyone seems to be playing Warfare... what makes it more desirable?

My experience on the Warfare was that the interface was way worse and my AI didn't follow me, instead my guy commanded my AI to follow one of the AI in my squad... who never moved.

None of my orders worked and units that the Ai commander ordered before I controlled hte slot I couldn't disband nor command to any degree.

What feature makes warfare preferable? I'm not trying to rant here but I want to know why everyone is playing warfare, maybe I can be convinced to like it too.

I cant really answer your question, however I certainly agree that Superpowers and Civil War are missions that deserves more players.

I think crCTI is great though so I'm happy with it's popularity.

I love Superpowers, crCTI is more like BF2, take a flag and thats it. In Superpowers, you can take the bunkers out side the town to establish a foothold in the city. That way if your Killed you can get right back into the action, Same with the enemy. I think Superpowers has better Firefights and town battles last longer. I really wish more people would play it.

It's the whole "no respawn makes you more cautious" vs "respawn makes for more intense battles" thing.

I'm not sure I'd side with the no respawn crew today :)

I'm soon off from work so I'll be looking for some superpowers/civil wars servers l8r this evening. I guess the only thing to do if you want momentum on these missions is to join up urself.

What do superpower modes show up as in the server browser. I only see the usual Coop, CTI, CTF at the moment

What do superpower modes show up as in the server browser. I only see the usual Coop, CTI, CTF at the moment

listed as CTI I think

They are.

However I noticed the following. Superpowers and War Simple bog down the server without any actual player load on the server.

An Example;

I can run a 50 player AAS Hold game and the server runs at 50fps (full throttle), very little bandwidth in or out being used. This compared to Super Powers in which the servers FPS will drop rapidly from 50, to 7 (overload is 15) FPS.

This is without anything other then the mission running, no players connected except myself.

By comparision, While running the 50 Player AAS Hold mission at 50fps... I can then host an ArmA Warfare server at the same time (on the same server) and the servers FPS only drops to 34 FPS. Well above overload.

Hrm....

Warfare is the BI's official version of CTI.

As far as I know, it was made by one of the original CTI mission makers, Mike Melvin, hired by BI to add CTI mode into ArmA1. They called it Warfare.

So purists will tell you Warfare is not CTI. But they share the same origin, so Warfare is listed as CTI in the server list.

I thought Superpowers and Civil War were Warfare?

There is some confusion I think on the mission names and types (me included lol)...From what I can tell, Cival War and Superpowers are both versions of Warfare and are CTI modes. crCTI is also a CTI (Capture the Island) map, the difference is the crCTI is a mission that is community developed and provides a little deeper interface for AI and team management as commander, while Superpowers/Cival War are missions provided by BIS with all the default Warfare commands (minus the "T" options). The crCTI game has a smaller play area and centers around the major airstrip. Superpowers and Cival War both use the whole island and are a little bit slower in gameplay as players do not start with nearly the same level of funds that you get in crCTI...

L8r,

eem

There is some confusion I think on the mission names and types (me included lol)...From what I can tell, Cival War and Superpowers are both versions of Warfare and are CTI modes. crCTI is also a CTI (Capture the Island) map, the difference is the crCTI is a mission that is community developed and provides a little deeper interface for AI and team management as commander, while Superpowers/Cival War are missions provided by BIS with all the default Warfare commands (minus the "T" options). The crCTI game has a smaller play area and centers around the major airstrip. Superpowers and Cival War both use the whole island and are a little bit slower in gameplay as players do not start with nearly the same level of funds that you get in crCTI...

L8r,

eem

You got it ;)

They are.

However I noticed the following. Superpowers and War Simple bog down the server without any actual player load on the server.

An Example;

I can run a 50 player AAS Hold game and the server runs at 50fps (full throttle), very little bandwidth in or out being used. This compared to Super Powers in which the servers FPS will drop rapidly from 50, to 7 (overload is 15) FPS.

This is without anything other then the mission running, no players connected except myself.

By comparision, While running the 50 Player AAS Hold mission at 50fps... I can then host an ArmA Warfare server at the same time (on the same server) and the servers FPS only drops to 34 FPS. Well above overload.

Hrm....

Thats probly because, of all the AI in the game. I noticed if i join the crcti servers they just have player ran squads with AI. The superpowers servers i went into had AI squads running around. Maybe thats it?

BTW Supermächte is also Superpowers.. the same mission only in German. It confused me to begin with it may confuse others..

NObody knows about it.. that simple.

Ive been playing arma for a long time.. and havent heard of it...

If somebody creates something they need to get it out there to reach people!!!

Post the shit on youtube... forums... spam people...

Superpower and civil war have bigger battles, because the AI bots build squads for themselves. There are times I've had my ai squad not follow any orders, but that might be because of what slot I joined the game in.

Ah thanks for the replies people.

I prefer Superpowers/Civil War game modes. I like the interface better and I like the fact that you can take strongholds... its not about being able to respawn at city its that it adds more strategy to taking the city... ie. being able to capture it quicker if you have all the strongholds rather than none or just 1.

Very few people play these servers though, its disappointing. I just can't stand the WARFARE interface... it irritates me.

BI need to fix the bugs in these missions thats why there failing, I prefer official content but it need to work.

I had a go on a super power server last night. Mixed feelings about it really. On one hand it spawned me about 4000ft away from any type of action in them middle of a forest lol! After having to run for a good 20 minutes i finally got there and instantly shot dead ha!

I then respawned somewhere close which I was pleased about but it does seem a bit random in play. There didnt seem to be any team work goin on at all as what I now expect from the public servers which is a shame :( Every1 just attacked a different town so I decided to buy my own AI squad but what did they do? Ran off in the other direction and disobeyed all orders haha, I had to leave after that as I had spent an hour just running to places, was not fun!

Anyway that was my take on this new game mode to me :)

superpower is the little bugged brother of warfare, which is a community mission, warfare gets updated more frequently and has less bugs. not sure why the makers put out the spawnpoints/bunkers around cities, which were present in the ArmA version of warfare.

The problem is... when the server is overloaded, running less then 15 FPS... everything grinds to a halt. The AI stop moving, capture progress bars stop updating and various other server required things become lagged and unresponsive.

So is any1 from the community going to edit these missions or will we have to rely on updates from BIS (if they come)?

Similar missions were quite popular back in ArmA1 (the official Warfare and all it's offspring), maybe it's simply the magic word "Warfare" that is missing. Call it Superpowers Warfare and ppl will come :smileee:

First post. :bounce3:

I played almost only CTI during the last weeks, meaning the huger crCTI-Servers aswell as the Superpowers/Civil War Maps from BI. Both have several advantages over each other ... and i still can't decide which one i like more.

In crCTI:

- Much huger player number, servers with about 40 players => Thats nice!

- Less fights against AI teams and more against human team leaders

- Faster fights since map is much smaller

- More vehicles and stuff to buy and build

- More experienced players usually, so i can learn something and play in a team (if i want)

- Supports radar buildings

In Civil War / Superpowers:

- Its using (well, almost) the whole map!

- More troops allowed per team (20) then on most crCTI servers (10) i found, allowing me to do pure infantry attacks on more difficult targets. I suppose this also is one of the reasons people sometimes run around alone.

- It takes longer to take towns. I find it kind of dumb, that in crCTI you put a lonesome soldier next to a flag and the whole town belongs you side after about a minute. This usually leaves little time to react if you realize someone is attacking your town.

- Better economy system. Towns are connected in a network and supply from a certain town seems to rise, if you connect more neighbouring towns to it. This also gives you the option to disturb enemy supply networks and fasttravel if you attack the right spot.

- There are supply and salvage trucks actually driving around on the map. Meaning if you spot and destroy them, you can disturb enemy supplies again.

- I like fasttravel, which lets you and your squad travel to friendly town centers if the route is intact. The big map also makes this quite necessary.

- I also like respawning, since i'm to dumb not to get shot pretty often.

Well in the end you could say, that crCTI is a lot less buggier, has faster gameplay, especially in the first hour of a mission - and a lot more players playing it. It also looks a bit more balanced to me, if i compare unit prices and such.

Still i like the meta-strategies that the supply and travel system of Superpowers allows. I suppose all those trucks and AI-Units defending towns is also what kills performance on most servers. You could say, that mode seems to concentrate a bit more on the strategic component of gameplay, although the main-commander has some less options, as far as i have seen yet. And since you can't buy units outside of the base, you guard them a lot more carefully, even if the players itself has the option to respawn after taking a defence point in a town.

I really hope someone has time to fix the flaws those new warfare modes have ... if they would be able to put that things in, that are already written in my manual, it might help alot already. Oh ... and don't forget the planes and motorcycles! :D

Waahhh! Almost 3.00 ...

Time to go to bed.

Edited by Lerzpftz