Sign in to follow this  
kwhy

The unofficial My Rig PWNS ARMA2 ONLINE...

ok. I think its safe to say everyone is on the fence about Arma 2 and its performance right now.

My system is Mid to Low and I can get a 20-30fps on some online games until I get into a large town battle playing on mods like evolution on 50 server ect. I haven't even tried running the campaign yet.

Anyway how about some posts from the peeps that are seeing a steady 30fps+ across the entire board running HIGH res, high settings, AND playing LARGE 32-50 player multiplayer games online.

** NOTE ** Please make sure that steady 30+ fps is happening while your playing infantry INSIDE the towns and not sitting on the boarding edges of town outside the fight or up in the air way above.

Basically I'm wanting to know what is it going to take for me to run 1920x1080, my trackir5, high details, ect..besides a miracle patch or some special refrigeration unit and nuclear power reactor.

So What type of rigs are you guys using and what type of settings are you running?

ok. I think its safe to say everyone is on the fence about Arma 2 and its performance right now.

My system is Mid to Low and I can get a 20-30fps on some online games until I get into a large town battle playing on mods like evolution on 50 server ect. I haven't even tried running the campaign yet.

Anyway how about some posts from the peeps that are seeing a steady 30fps+ across the entire board running HIGH res, high settings, AND playing LARGE 32-50 player multiplayer games online.

** NOTE ** Please make sure that steady 30+ fps is happening while your playing infantry INSIDE the towns and not sitting on the boarding edges of town outside the fight or up in the air way above.

Basically I'm wanting to know what is it going to take for me to run 1920x1080, my trackir5, high details, ect..besides a miracle patch or some special refrigeration unit and nuclear power reactor.

So What type of rigs are you guys using and what type of settings are you running?

Not really relevant to troubleshooting.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Not really relevant to troubleshooting.

Eth

if there was a hardware discussion forum, I'd use that, but it seems this is where hardware/computer related items are typically discussed versus game play issues.

I'm sure it will get bumped down or moved if found inappropriate, but thanks for making that clear.

Eth how about a post of your system specs. I can't seem find one via search, but I do recall that you said your getting by ok with your setup.

Dont listen to that smartass mate ;)

This is the topic i was looking for too. Basically i got two pcs one high end the other not so bad at all.

Rig1

I7@3.5

4 GB DD3 1600 G.Skill

280 GTX

20-30 Mostly (HT-off, and other tweaks provided by the community)

Rig 2

E8600 @ 4,5

260 GTX (192 cores)

4 GB DDR3 1200 OCZ

30-60 mostly

------------------------------------------

Settings on both are:

Textures: Normal

Vram: Very high

AF: Very high

AA: Low

Terrain: Low

Object Details: Normal

PP Effects: Disabled

Resolution 1680X1050 on both rigs.

Windows 7 RC on both.

Steam version btw.

Drivers 186.50 Forceware

Version 1.02 of course.

Did the ArmA II Benchmark getting around 2200 on I7 while on rig 2 i get 3200

@2nd run it jumps up ~200 points but still quite choppy to play on both rigs. Distant soldiers look like blobs so i am hoping a patch might help me out there.

Hope this helps

if there was a hardware discussion forum, I'd use that, but it seems this is where hardware/computer related items are typically discussed versus game play issues.

I'm sure it will get bumped down or moved if found inappropriate, but thanks for making that clear.

Eth how about a post of your system specs. I can't seem find one via search, but I do recall that you said your getting by ok with your setup.

Fair enough :)

i7 975

Asus P6T6 Revo

12 Gigs Mushkin 12800 DDR3 RA

2 x Intel X-25 160 GB

2 x WD 1 TB "Black"

Plextor PX-B310SA

3 x GTX 280

NEC 2690WUXi Monitor

Auzentech Forte

Razer Mako speakers

X-52 Pro

Track IR 5

Windows XP 64 182.50 WHQL drivers

Resolution - 1920 x 1200

View distance - 3000

Texture detail - Normal (This helps alot. Having it any higher increases the chances of "texture lag")

Video memory - Very High

Anisotropy - Very high

Antialiasing - Normal

Object detail - Very High

Terrain detail - Very High

Shadow detail - High

Post processing - Off

Fillrate - 100%

Hyper Threading - On (doesn't seem to affect XP64)

Absolutely no performance related issues here or any kind of FPS drop under Win XP 64

I did have problems with stuttering related to CPU spikes under Win7/Vista 64. I've replicated that on more than one box.

Eth

Edited by jaundiced
reply made post irrelevant

Hmm, maybe it's worth a reinstall of XP to see if arma 2 performs better, only have the x32 version tho.

any more setups running ok? I'd like to base my next build on some input here...

Ok i just installed, winxp 64 bit. Nvidia 182.50 drivers. I now am running the game at VH all exept terrain on normal post processing off. :eek:

I am getting on 40+ fps, in all situations. I strongly recommend xp64 + 182.50!

I hope this helps some of you. I also must mention before distant trees looked bad now they are just sweet :D

Good Luck and see you on the battlefield:D

What? Changing OS is no solution. Im glad that you have more FPS and all but this is shit. Not that I have problems running A2 but me, personaly, I think I can never go back to XP, like I hardly play Arma1.

So you had 20-30 FPS with or without vista aero theme before? Another thig is why do you guys keep things so high if you dont get nice frame rate. Besides, textures and AA really isnt necessary to have on high-very high if you have HD res.

any AMD builds?

i7 975

Asus P6T6 Revo

2 x Intel X-25 160 GB

2 x WD 1 TB "Black"

Plextor PX-B310SA

3 x GTX 280

NEC 2690WUXi Monitor

Auzentech Forte

Razer Mako speakers

X-52 Pro

Track IR 5

Eth

By the way Eth, this build....holy shit man :eek:

Have you trained it to take care of the house yet?

I'm running an older amd system.

amd 5600

4 gigs ram DDr2 800

GTX280

Vista 32

lets just say with most settings on low or normal it runs like crap.

I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a new i7 920, evga mobo and 6 gigs of ddr3 1600 ram + vista 64 with free windows 7 upgrade.

Should be in tomorrow and I'm going to get it going and start doing some benchmarks. I expect to see a huge difference. I hope.:D

What? Changing OS is no solution. Im glad that you have more FPS and all but this is shit. Not that I have problems running A2 but me, personaly, I think I can never go back to XP, like I hardly play Arma1.

So you had 20-30 FPS with or without vista aero theme before? Another thig is why do you guys keep things so high if you dont get nice frame rate. Besides, textures and AA really isnt necessary to have on high-very high if you have HD res.

Tony i know what you mean with the os :butbut:

I play the game on those settings as if i put them lower i get less fps, + the buildings twitch or flash if i have textures on normal. I will post up some screenshots when i get home.

I'm running an older amd system.

amd 5600

4 gigs ram DDr2 800

GTX280

Vista 32

lets just say with most settings on low or normal it runs like crap.

I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a new i7 920, evga mobo and 6 gigs of ddr3 1600 ram + vista 64 with free windows 7 upgrade.

Should be in tomorrow and I'm going to get it going and start doing some benchmarks. I expect to see a huge difference. I hope.:D

I'm doing the same thing today. I've been window shopping the last few days...

on my way later today to put this together. I'm still on the fence about what video card I should get though.

I7-920 and

Asus P6T MB

1 Caviar Black HD 1TB (giving up on Seagates Barracuda. too many problems with 7200.11 drives)

I already own a BFGTECH 9800GT 512 (plan on getting something else, but can't decide. Maybe Radeon 4870. any recommendations on brand or better choice for video on I7-920 guys?)

just got trackir5 last week and works great with the game.

if anything I know I can SEMI play multiplayer on my crappy x2 4000+ machine now so with that CPU above I think I'll be ok.

Resolution : 1680x1050 (3d/2d)

Visibility : 3500

Texture detail : Low

Video Memory : Very High

Anti-aliasing : Low

Antriscopic Filtering : Low

Terrain Detail : Normal

Object Detail : Normal

Shadow Detail : Normal

Post Process Effects : Low

Average framerate : 30's in multiplayer

I'm doing the same thing today. I've been window shopping the last few days...

on my way later today to put this together. I'm still on the fence about what video card I should get though.

I7-920 and

Asus P6T MB

1 Caviar Black HD 1TB (giving up on Seagates Barracuda. too many problems with 7200.11 drives)

I already own a BFGTECH 9800GT 512 (plan on getting something else, but can't decide. Maybe Radeon 4870. any recommendations on brand or better choice for video on I7-920 guys?)

just got trackir5 last week and works great with the game.

if anything I know I can SEMI play multiplayer on my crappy x2 4000+ machine now so with that CPU above I think I'll be ok.

I got my new system last night (details in my sig) and oc'd the cpu with my mobo utility a little and I'm averaging 35 fps on high/med settings with high resolution. I scored 19257 on 3dmark 06 first run. My old score with an amd 5600 was 10,500 ish.

i7 975

Asus P6T6 Revo

2 x Intel X-25 160 GB

2 x WD 1 TB "Black"

Plextor PX-B310SA

3 x GTX 280

NEC 2690WUXi Monitor

Auzentech Forte

Razer Mako speakers

X-52 Pro

Track IR 5

Windows XP 64 182.50 WHQL drivers

Resolution - 1920 x 1200

View distance - 3000

Texture detail - Normal (This helps alot. Having it any higher increases the chances of "texture lag")

Video memory - Very High

Anisotropy - Very high

Antialiasing - Normal

Object detail - Very High

Terrain detail - Very High

Shadow detail - High

Post processing - Off

Fillrate - 100%

Hyper Threading - On (doesn't seem to affect XP64)...

Eth

about the same as eth, but ATi and 6gb

vista64

i675

6gb

2X 4870x2

ssd, and raptors, and samsungs (or samhungs...)

over priced plextor ...

xfi

21''sonyfd520

Last config used

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1440;

refresh=90;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1440;

FSAA=2;

postFX=1;

HDRPrecision=32;

shadingQuality=7;

shadowQuality=2;

soundEnableEAX=1;

anisoFilter=4;

TexQuality=3;

TexMemory=3;

sceneComplexity=1000000;

viewDistance=1784.0433; (sometime up to 3k but why?)

terrainGrid=25;

will be on xp 32 and 64 today to test the "issues" of ati...(Cdwow came thru.) vista64 works fine, 30+ mp, and towns can drop at first, but catch up fast, usually 360 spin with your zoom in and out fixes the slow down. get 90fps in SP bu the Campaign is a dog at some urban spots.

Yep, don't sell those anymore either. At one point I was getting a ~30% return rate on Seagate 1 TB and 1.5 TB.

Their quality control is not what it used to be :(

Eth

Edited by BangTail

settingsz.th.jpg

25-30fps

rig in sig

:(

I found lowering the res even tho im on native 1280x1024 tft was the best thing to do fps wise

I have

q6600 @ 3.3Ghz, 4 gig ddr2 800mhz

GTX280, Xfi Fatal1ty

Abit IP35 Pro

XP32 (ram registers 3 gig and is stable)

I have 2 monitors; a 22 inch LCD HD 1920x1080 res and a 22 inch CRT capable of 2048 x 1536.

If I run the game on the LCD HD, the refresh rate of 60hz generates a squiggle, very distracting and if I move fast on screen (especially mouse movements) my eyes feel sore. I buy Arma2 and I thought cool a slow game to use my HD monitor on. Bah, if I run it on HD with aspect ratio of16:9 it lags harder than granny pushing a shopping trolley.

Enter the CRT at 1600x1200 @85hz and 4:3 ratio, all settings maxed out and wow. The game runs like butter and looks awesome (fill rate is 100 percent only) there is no mouse lag unless heavily populated areas and dense woodland with many players. Still the frames are very playable.

Ok so I lose out on some screen area but it is certainly worth the sacrifice to play it maxed out. I can't tell you the fps as I have not measured them, yet; so all I can go on is the game play and it is fine.

I did try using my LCD monitor on 1280x1024 @75hz but there was terrible blurring even when I turned off post processing, squiggles were gone though :)