Sign in to follow this  
Drake3571

So will the expansion pack take place in Takistan?

Minor spoilers. After everything fades to black in the campaign some text plays across the screen detailing what happened to everyone involved afterwards.

Everyone in Razor team does a tour in a fictional place called Takistan. Particular mention is made of a mission called Operation Fiery Mountain where 1 member dies and another is wounded in "heavy street fighting".

I hope it's more Afghanistan than Khazakstan. Desert theme would be nice, although I would prefer the OFP1 style of more scripted missions that at least guarantee a decent battle rather than the free-form stuff.

And I think we can all agree that an expansion pack is inevitable, right guys?

I would like to see the western side of Cherarus including the capital in any addon.

I'm with you we need a desert map afghanistan would be great if your like me and been playing bis games since ofp I'm sick to death of Europe it sux time for a change bis

Desert warefare is boring! It was beaten to death in the 90s because deserts were always easy to render in game.

Tank shoots targets at 2000m kaboom, Airplane shoots target at 8000m Kaboom.

I want Afghanistan and talibans to shoot at.

Desert warefare is boring! It was beaten to death in the 90s because deserts were always easy to render in game.

It would be nice to have a vehicle in the game that could lock on from outside one hundred metres.

I want Afghanistan and talibans to shoot at.
+1 Me too...that would be really nice. :)

pls lord in pc haven no desert, no desert rats desert monkys desert storms, rains, cupcakes and napys i cant se no more desert.desert is boring bring the full chnarus with the west side and east and and and but pls god no DESERT!!!!

Duh, and I thought that people were already bored with the desert stuff :confused:

pls lord in pc haven no desert, no desert rats desert monkys desert storms, rains, cupcakes and napys i cant se no more desert.desert is boring bring the full chnarus with the west side and east and and and but pls god no DESERT!!!!

To be fair, afgahan ain't all desert, in fact their is a lot of green, especially in the green zone, so erm, maybe with the tunnels, caves, rivers, green type zones, with open dusty areas, mountains, valleys, scree slopes etc it might be quite a compromise.

To be fair, afgahan ain't all desert, in fact their is a lot of green, especially in the green zone, so erm, maybe with the tunnels, caves, rivers, green type zones, with open dusty areas, mountains, valleys, scree slopes etc it might be quite a compromise.

Now you're talking :)

If you ask for my opinion, I would like to see some SNOW first! there was a desert on Sahrani, but there was never snow (not including mods and top of mountain on Kolguyev). Chernarus under snow will be nice to see, with a little of added map.

Snow warfare and setting is totally different.. I would like to see troops going through thick soft snow, arctic camo uniforms, visible footsteps, and sound (actually silence) of snow covered forests, also there would be no problem rendering grass, because there is no much of it!

A desert-themed island is a fairly safe bet for a community addon - minimal roads, textures n stuff - its aa cert...

As far as the Taliban, Hisbollah, Hamas, etc is concerned - the LoBo crew did them pretty well for Arma1, and I'm fairly sure Miles Teg will be busy porting them as we speak... (hopefully the "melted face" bug they suffered from will be fixed)...

So I reckon those wanting desert stuff will be sorted by the community in the near future...

Which leaves us vets, like the guys posting above, who ARE totally scunnered with deserty stuff, to hope BIS concentrate on filling out the chernaurus map a bit more - when the time comes...

B

*add - tho Yorke has a good point - SNOW! - One of my all time favourites for OFP was Kegetys Winter Kolgojev... there were basic replacement snow camo units too and Yorke is right - it WAS a totally different experience... snow crunching underfoot and stuff...

Snow is something that never really happened for Arma 1 either - I reckon its another good bet for a community mod...

Edited by Bushlurker

I would like savannah of Sudan or Jungle in Columbia. I would like nuclear war beetween India and China as campaign though..

If you ask for my opinion, I would like to see some SNOW first! there was a desert on Sahrani, but there was never snow (not including mods and top of mountain on Kolguyev). Chernarus under snow will be nice to see, with a little of added map.

Snow warfare and setting is totally different.. I would like to see troops going through thick soft snow, arctic camo uniforms, visible footsteps, and sound (actually silence) of snow covered forests, also there would be no problem rendering grass, because there is no much of it!

I could dig that. Would suit the eastern units well.

I would like savannah of Sudan or Jungle in Columbia. I would like nuclear war beetween India and China as campaign though..

nah, jungle or tropical islands would be too crysisish, and savannah too farcrytwoish. arma is not about jungle close combat, imagine rendering thick jungle forests at 10km. maybe for 10 years

I think a desert campaign might be interesting, but the AI is built to engage in the sort of terrain of Malden, Everon, Chernarus etc.

Two reasons why this is a problem.

A) In desert, with little grass/trees to obstruct view typical engagement ranges will be a lot further. The AI isn't designed to detect or engage at these ranges.

B) Most people are talking about a sort of Afghanistan campaign. Half the fun of that would be (in my opinion) the mountinous terrain and ambushes from high points and assault on mountain strongholds. Now correct me if I'm wrong but the AI doesen't distinguish between flat ground and slopes. I.e if the AI needs to move somewhere it will move in a straight line, meaning it will be crawling down sheer faced slopes to meet its objectives (and probably getting up to sprint, falling 20 metres and dying)

Personally I loved the Resistance campaign. Particularly the early part where you fought a sort of guerilla war, attempting to gain armaments from your enemy. I'd really love to see the ideas expanded upon with BiS' non linear campaign structure (with none of the silly bits of Resistance, like engaging the Russian's in a set piece tank battle).

Perhaps fighting as the Chedaki trying to stir up popular support from the ethnic Russians while performing freeform assasination missions on political and goverment targets. They've made a great world in Chernarus, but I must confess to being somewhat let down by the main campaign (I'll explain my thoughts on this in detail elsewhere.) I think the potential is there for so much more.

I would really like to have engagements where the maximum range of TOW or Javelin missiles is actually a factor (3,700m and 2,000m respectively and approximately). It's true that the AI and many weapon systems don't... erm, what's the word, positively highlight... ArmA2's engine over those distances.

IMO the 'knife fight in a phone booth' style of gunfighting that tends to occur in the heavily wooded areas of Chernarus (meaning most of it) are a bit annoying and don't really show off the true awesomeness of the engine in terms of infantry combat. If they made an 'afghanistan' map for the hypothetical Takistan expansion, with the same attention to detail and care that they made chernarus (by which I mean doing a sat-image of Afghanistan and data, as well as modelling all the little terrain features that make Afghanistan's fighting so intense, all the little valleys, hillsides and scattered houses as well as the naturally sparse vegetation could provide some really intense mixed long/short-range infantry combat. Plus I'd love to see the RPG elements in the campaign applied to something like afghanistan, i.e win hearts and minds or your ass is grass. :D

In my opinion games haven't really ever done the real side of Middle East. I want a game that actually spends time searching for the enemy, ie House searches and street patrols. In n terms of a Afghanistan map i would love it, just as long as it is made right. With previous Afghan maps they were too "Desertish". Majority of Afghanistan is comprised of hellish terrain that are a total bitch to climb. If all those things were introduced into a game or if the map itself was made a mod for ArmA I would be in love.

I think it would be brilliant with the right blend of cultural background. Dry terrain at sea level, with tall snowy mountains, using the Caucasus region for architecture and structure. Something similar to Azerbaijan or Uzbekistan.

Snow. We need snow! No matter where the expansion takes place. Takistan sounds good.

Afghanistan is really mountainous so a fictional version wouldn't be flat and would be great i would love an afghan island from bis