Sign in to follow this  
Asmodeuz

Missing grey box in game editor, those that represent "houses"

Hi everyone here at the BIS forums, at least those that happen to read this topic (hoping that someone would cross his/hers path through here:)

Me and my friend come in a late train and are still playing OFP (:Res and especially FDFmod) when most have already changed theirs to ArmA or possibly to the number "II". Some time ago we started making a new island based on our hometown with WRPtool and we've advanced to a state, which allows us to not only concentrate on building roads but also modelling houses from our very own hometown.

After making (with O2 from BIS) my first addon crate, I went on making the first object to our town, the water tower that stands so tall, had it done and got it rightly added through WRPtool to the island and checked it in-game.

Everything works fine, the tower stands so tall when in-game (see pic)

watertower.th.jpg

but the in-game editor doesn't show any grey box (or whatever shape it should be) for the water tower where it's standing in-game (see pic, should be just a bit to the left from the 'crosshair')

missingk.th.jpg

and the next pic shows what I mean with these "grey boxes, those that represent "houses" (see pic)

greyboxes.th.jpg

Ideas what could cause this? I'm lost because I'm not able to connect all these pieces for the lack of knowledge what comes to modelling and scripting. Does it need something to be made in O2 (anything to do with LOD?), or is it something to be written in config.cpp perhaps? (I had our island and this addon working the way that the island has it's own .pbo and the models to the houses (the future ones) are going to be in different .pbo.

edit. so that I don't stray myself and everyone from the path with all this gibberish, I underlined the problem :)

Any help is appreciated.

Greetings from Finlandia

Amontieri

Hi,

it's due to the map properties (see link below where O2 properties are listed) and probably to the need of binarization too for map objects.

Try those properties without binarizing, if it doesn't work, you'll have to binarize your models.

Wiki named properties

Hi,

it's due to the map properties (see link below where O2 properties are listed) and probably to the need of binarization too for map objects.

Try those properties without binarizing, if it doesn't work, you'll have to binarize your models.

Wiki named properties

Yes, there it was and after toying with that given possibility I managed to get those map objects showing. I read from the Bistudio Wiki link, that You gave, that class "map" with value of "house" should show the DisplayName from config.cpp when one hovers mouse pointer over a map object, but I didn't manage to get that working, also I cannot see in the game editor my named object under 'Empty' --> 'Objects'. Wonder what's up with those, but then those aren't as important as the question that is now solved.

Thank you for your assistance ProfTournesol :)

Amontieri

Post your config cpp here to see why you object doesn't appear in the editor (maybe scope is protected).

Annnd, linking config cpp (ie config names for example) to p3d properties (such as "map"=>"house") needs binarizing i think.

Here comes...or goes :)

This is from my config.cpp (that is in *.pbo with our island and *.paa icon for our island in the game)

class CfgPatches {
class temp {
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {};
	worlds[] = {temp};
	requiredVersion = 1.96;
};
};

class CfgWorlds {
class DefaultWorld {};
class Intro : DefaultWorld {};
class temp : Intro {
	access = 3;
	description = "Temp";
	icon = "\temp\temptress.paa";
	worldName = "\temp\temp.wrp";
	cutscenes[] = {"..\addons\temp_intro\intro"};
};
}; 
class CfgVehicles
{
class All {};
    class AllVehicles: All {};
    class Land: AllVehicles {};
    class Static : Land {};
    class Building : Static {};
    class NonStrategic : Building {};
    class Fence : NonStrategic {};
    class WireFence: Fence {};
    class House: NonStrategic {};
    class ViewTower2: House{};

class vesitorni: NonStrategic
{
	model="\talot\vesitorni.p3d";
	armor=200;
	scope=2;
	displayName="Vesitorni";

class crate: Static
{
	model="\talot\laatikko.p3d"
	armor=200;
	scope=2;
	displayName="Vlaatikko";
};
};

There.

Could you ProfTournesol give me somekind of hint about what the words after "class *something*" mean: like in 'class vesitorni: NonStrategic (or Static etc.') Would it be just the same if I'm making houses that are not allowed for entrance (meaning...the houses are not enterable [is that even an english word???] that I use NonStrategic in everyone of them?

Ok, so there is a problem, you didn't close the "}" after the first object class. You should add a vehicle class so that you can easily find your objects in the editor.

So your cfgvehicle class should look like :

class CfgVehicles
{
class All {};
    class AllVehicles: All {};
    class Land: AllVehicles {};
    class Static : Land {};
    class Building : Static {};
    class NonStrategic : Building {};
    class Fence : NonStrategic {};
    class WireFence: Fence {};
    class House: NonStrategic {};
    class ViewTower2: House{};

class vesitorni: NonStrategic
{
	model="\talot\vesitorni.p3d";
	armor=200;
	scope=2;
	displayName="Vesitorni";
	vehicleClass="Amontieri houses and objects";
};
      class crate: Static
{
	model="\talot\laatikko.p3d"
	armor=200;
	scope=2;
	displayName="Vlaatikko";
	vehicleClass="Amontieri houses and objects";
};
};

And i suppose your objects p3d are in a file called "talot.pbo".

About building class, strategic and non strategic, i don't know the difference. I can't see any difference looking at BI config, but civilian houses are inheriting from non strategic class, and military buildings inherit from strategic class. Never saw any difference in game though.