Sign in to follow this  
Cuzer

Few tips needed for a beginner

Hi Gents

I'm new into Arma 2 and ploughing through these forums seems I'm not alone in being a little dissappointed on the visual image of the game, despite what I feel is a high system spec. Could somebody tell me the best settings I can use to play the game with decent speed and good graphics?

My Spec is

System Information

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 3326MB RAM

Page File: 1239MB used, 5622MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Previously: Crashed in system information (stage 4)

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTX

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0191&SUBSYS_039C10DE&REV_A2

Display Memory: 2148 MB

Dedicated Memory: 741 MB

Shared Memory: 1407 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I'm tweaking around with the settings all the time but can't seem to find a balance that's right

Secondly and I know this is an easy one but how do I set a waypoint on the map when giving my team orders?

Many Thanks for your help

Cuzer

Ok, first off, I did armamark2 benchmark, and here's my results. I have a little Athlon x2 4400+ that I've overclocked. 4Gig RAM, Nvidia 9800GTX+ Superclocked then overclocked some more. By all intense purposes, everbody says I should get 9 frames per second. Bah I say.

Ok: with Vista 64 I got an Armamark2 bench of 1789.6 (that's the best I could push out of vista). Then I duel booted XP-32 and I now have an armamark2 score of 2299.74.

I didn't change a thing, just ran XP32 bit. I then inserted another drive with Windows 7 RC, and the score actually was worse than Vista it was 1644.23. So first off XP is the clear winner.

I"m curious, but it looks like you're playing on a laptop. I wouldn't do this. History has shown that laptops under perform. Next to a Desktop.

Now with all that said, it's going to be up to you if arma is playable. I find it more than adequate at 25 - 35 FPS. I don't see what the big deal is because I have no problem playing while everybody is bitching and whining about "oh I have to have 50 fps minimum to be able to sleep at night."

If you could install XP and run it from an XP box you'll see the performance jump up 10-30%

Thanks for the reply Squigibo

I'm actually on a destop, not laptop, since my email I've cranked up the 3d Resolution and the game looks loads better and seems to be playing OK which is good. I still get my team mates having white heads though now and again which is a shame???

My big gripe is when I move the mouse left and right at speed, very blurred, especially in 1st person mode, is this meant to be the case, just means I have to stand completely still and scan the area very slowly for it to be viewable, any settings to help this?

Oh and if you can help on the waypoints it would be appreciated. I'm right in saying you can't ask a squad member to move to a waypoint on the map, by foot, can you?

Cheers again

Cuzer

My big gripe is when I move the mouse left and right at speed, very blurred, especially in 1st person mode, is this meant to be the case, just means I have to stand completely still and scan the area very slowly for it to be viewable, any settings to help this?

Turn post-processing to "off" in graphics options, but it will remove also other postprocessing effects.

Oh and if you can help on the waypoints it would be appreciated. I'm right in saying you can't ask a squad member to move to a waypoint on the map, by foot, can you?

Just select some member of your squad (with the F keys (like F2, F3...)) and click on the map.

By all intense purposes,

Heh. Do you mean, "intents and purposes"? :P Common mistake, matey. Check this out. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_saying_%27all_intents_and_purposes%27_or_%27all_intense_purposes%27

Also, TC, the motion blurring is caused by post processing, as the poster above me mentioned, and you can also eliminate some "fuzz" on screen by changing your 3D res to match your screen res.

Thanks, turned off Post Processing and it did solve the blur when moving the mouse but as you mentioned the game looks nowhere near as smooth now, is their no compromise on this, seems such a shame to lose the visual aspect

Sorry, what I meant by waypoint was say asking one of my team who is the driver to drive to one part of the map, then onto another, setting directions if you like with multiple orders, is this not possible?

Cheers again

Cuzer

Hi Gents

I'm new into Arma 2 and ploughing through these forums seems I'm not alone in being a little dissappointed on the visual image of the game, despite what I feel is a high system spec. Could somebody tell me the best settings I can use to play the game with decent speed and good graphics?

My Spec is

System Information

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 3326MB RAM

Page File: 1239MB used, 5622MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Previously: Crashed in system information (stage 4)

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTX

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0191&SUBSYS_039C10DE&REV_A2

Display Memory: 2148 MB

Dedicated Memory: 741 MB

Shared Memory: 1407 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I'm tweaking around with the settings all the time but can't seem to find a balance that's right

Secondly and I know this is an easy one but how do I set a waypoint on the map when giving my team orders?

Many Thanks for your help

Cuzer

Well first off, unfortuantly your setup is not really high end. It was about 2 years ago, but time and PC specs move on.

For example, download and run 3dmark 06

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/download/

And compare your results with some moden day high end machines.

I used to get around 12000 in 3dmark with a Q6600 (2.4 Quad) and a 9800GTX+. After upgrading my video card and Overclocking the CPU (3.3/3.4)I am now around 20000 in 3dMark 06.

I run the game @ 1920 x 1200 with 125% fill rate, 3.5k viewdistance and everything else on high. I get min of 26-28fps in MP when things get really really hectic, and min 50fps in armory when doing tasks etc (Can peak at over 200fps at sky :D).

The good news is however, depending on the model of the Quad core you have, they can OC quite a good amount. And this can result in some decent fps increases.

Otherwise, depending on your native resolution, a combanation of low / normal(medium) should see you average med to high 20/30's.

Cheers MBPR, I don't claim to be a PC whizzkid, far from it but I spent a bloody fortune on this rig less than 18 months ago and am amazed it's now struggling to play a high end game with any sense of enjoyment and looks!

I thought the Quad Processer was state of the art when I brought it, a gaming motherboard and a decent graphics card? You can't have more than 4gb of RAM on Vista 32 so I'm told so not sure what else I could have, bar a better card I guess??

Anyhow, thanks I'll download the tool and see what happens, I've never done overclocking is it an easy task and beneficial for playing the game?

Cheers

Cuzer

Cuzer,

if you are no PC whizzkid, you should be careful with overclocking. Overclocking means more electricity consumption, thus more heat and a shorter life of the component in question. I guess in most countries of the world you will loose your warranty,too.

Overclocking is something best tried with someone else's PC first, if you understand what I mean. Seriously, make absolutely sure you know what you're doing before you start. Get the help of a friend (provided that he has done this sort of thing successfully before).

Of course manufacturers calculate a tolerance for overheating, in many cases too much overclocking will result in graphic glitches so you can un-do it but if the worst comes to the worst, there is a risk of ruining the computer.

Oh, I forgot to answer your question: Yes, as long as you're doing it right, it is beneficial for the gameplay. Your processor will process quicker. It's bit like a doped cyclist in the Tour de France: He may be a winner, but he is facing the risk of serious health problems.

Edited by Alpha-Kilo

Cheers Alpha, I guess what I'm asking them is with the above spec what would be my ulitmate playing conditions, any reccomendations?

To my (limited) knowledge only the graphics card is not "top range" would have thought everything else was pretty top end, no?

Cheers

Cuzer

I would suggest a mild OC on the CPU by someone that knows what they are doing.. or if you are prepared to get aftermarket cooling you could get some decent clocks say 3.5Ghz+ quite easily. But as Alpha said, I wouldn't do it unless you have some experience or do some reading.. (It is really easy once you know what is what!) And as for the damage of components, uless you OC to an inch of the components life don't worry about that aspect... do some reading or ask your mates!

Also as per BIS post, try 182.5's and some of the help there however the 8800GTX is a little long in the tooth these days ...

I do agree, your graphics card is old and you can buy faster ones. It seems however, that the latest cards on the market are those which cause most problems to ArmA2. Just read the complainer threads and you'll see.

I don't want to give you any precise recommendations - others undoubtedly will, so that should not be a big loss. In my opinion, there is more to consider than just buying hardware. Have you defragged your hard disk? Which drivers are you using? What is the state of your registry? These little things can make or break your gaming experience and you can try several things in this area before starting to spend money.

What I did, is this: I made a backup of my files on an external hard disk, verified that the backup was good and then I formatted the internal hard disc. I installed WinXP (not Vista, because Vista seems to be responsible for many problems with ArmA2), installed the hardware drivers, updated WinXP, istalled a few little programs like anti-virus software, the odd packer, Teamspeak, some voice recognition software, etc. and then ArmA2. Considering the hardware I am using (which is of lower spec than yours), the game runs satisfactorily at medium-high settings in single play and also online. But this PC is dedicated entirely to one single game.

I am considering to upgrade or buy a new computer so that I can play at the highest settings but not before the game has been optimized further by BIS. (I hope one or two more patches will make a difference.)

Anyway, I wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Well MPBR you were right I ran the 3d test you reccomended and I got a score of 12500!

So, in a nutshell (MPBR/ALPHA)the best way to increase my game playing experience on ArmA2 is a new graphics card then? Does my memory and Processor seem OK?

Next question the market seems a minefield, any recommendations? Ge Force 2 series or ATI Radion I guess?

Cuzer

Well MPBR you were right I ran the 3d test you reccomended and I got a score of 12500!

So, in a nutshell (MPBR/ALPHA)the best way to increase my game playing experience on ArmA2 is a new graphics card then? Does my memory and Processor seem OK?

Next question the market seems a minefield, any recommendations? Ge Force 2 series or ATI Radion I guess?

Cuzer

Ok,

New Graphics card can help (and not just in A2) however, A2 is very hard on both GPU and CPU. So really it going to come down to how much you can spend.

By just upgrading the GPU, you will find that you can put some details up high with a decent resolution (1920 x 1200 etc) and image quallity and fps is pretty well balanced. Not talking 50+fps here, but should be good for smooth 30+fps for all but the know computer killers (city mission in campaign for example).

Of course, once you upgrade your GPU then your CPU may be a bottleneck. Unfortuantly the old Q6600 was a remarkable CPU when it was released, but again its now getting a bit old (I am in the same boat).

Good news is there is a few choices here:

1: As Mention below Overclock the chip, pleaty of guides out there

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=help+overclocking+q6600&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Should be able to get 3.0-3.2 easy with most q6600 chips.

2: Check what your motherboard supports and maybe look at a relativity cheap upgrade to a newer quad like the Q9550. This way all you need to do is swap the CPU over, existing RAM / MB / setup etc remains unchanged. NOTE:Check to ensure the Motherboard supports any new chip before ordering.

Then sell your Q6600 - they still sell pretty good 2nd hand.

3: Upgrade to i7. This will cost a bit more, as you will need new Motherboard, new RAM and the i7 Chip.

Ok having said all the above, here are a few benchmark links, both for A2, one for various CPU's the other for GPU's.

CPU

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,687620/ArmA-2-tested-Benchmarks-with-18-CPUs/Practice/

GPU

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ARMAII_gpu_performance/default.asp

I scanned the posts and I didn't see anyone answer the other question so I will for you. My apologies if it was already answered.

No, there isn't a way to make a driver go from Point A to Point B and then to Point C other than to wait til he gets to point A to tell him to move to Point B. There at least isn't anyway in game to do it but there is in the mission editor which is just setting up waypoints. I think you were asking about my first answer though.

Gents, thanks for the help, it's much appreciated

Cuzer

Hi Cuzer,

I'm on a Q6600 as well.

I'd say the best upgrade for you would be a newer gcard. The biggest bang for buck is the ATI HD4890. My friend got one (can't remember what he had before but it was 2 years old) and we saw a huge improvement in fps and visual quality.

Personally I upgraded from an 8800Ultra to a GTX285 and haven't had much boost in fps. (I can improve gfx settings with about the same fps as before)

The CPU will handle AI and other calculations so if you are in a large battle you may get some stuttering but I haven't had any problems sofar.

BTW: A fast HD is a MUST. Best if you can get a small good and fast second HD just for ArmA2 installation. Because the terrain and objects are streaming this will reduce any stuttering while flying or looking around quickly.

I scanned the posts and I didn't see anyone answer the other question so I will for you. My apologies if it was already answered.

No, there isn't a way to make a driver go from Point A to Point B and then to Point C other than to wait til he gets to point A to tell him to move to Point B. There at least isn't anyway in game to do it but there is in the mission editor which is just setting up waypoints. I think you were asking about my first answer though.

If it's a high command unit you could, but for a truck driver it is unlikely that he is.

Cheers MBPR, I don't claim to be a PC whizzkid, far from it but I spent a bloody fortune on this rig less than 18 months ago and am amazed it's now struggling to play a high end game with any sense of enjoyment and looks!

welcome to the world of PCs.

but keep in mind arma2 is an exception. sort of like crysis was.

Heh. Do you mean, "intents and purposes"? :P Common mistake, matey. Check this out. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_saying_%27all_intents_and_purposes%27_or_%27all_intense_purposes%27

LOL I stand corrected. thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Explaining Post Process (Theory). Post processing effect in Arma2 is to simulate how your head moves in real life. The more you move the blurrier (blurry-er.... ok whatever) blurriness increases for that simulation. When you stop, and concentrate, then you focus in more which is simulated by things getting clearer. Also, I think Arma2 cheats in this area. If things are blurry a little, then we only have to render every other frame and then "fudge" the difference so it makes things smoother. Only when you stop does it start rendering every frame. Personally I play with post-p on High. I like the simulation effect of that happening.

Another thing, don't be so quick to tighten up the Aiming dead zone. When prone, you can move the gun back and forth which doesn't move your body. I've noticed while sniping, if I don't move my body, the enemy has a harder time locking in on me. I leave mine really wide so when I go prone, I can still scan an area and not actually spin my body. Once I get my trackIR, then I'll tighten it up, cause I can just look like free look. Same subject: I use Free Look alot while out hunting. Same reasons as above.

Once you get used to playing with post processing turned up, I think you'll like it, but I'm somewhat of a purest, and it helps in the immersion aspect. Something to watch for in other games. Boot up your latest game, then turn the gun and scan the horizon (slowly), notice the fish-eye lens effect? That's to help you not get sick while playing. It's to simulate the sides of your vision moving the view faster than your horizon. Earlier games (remember Wolfenstein 3D and the first doom? ) didn't have this. You would get motion sickness because everything turned at the same speed. If you have one of those earlier games, check it out... no fish-eye warping. Bet you never noticed huh?

Edited by Squigibo
stupid typo's

Thanks, turned off Post Processing and it did solve the blur when moving the mouse but as you mentioned the game looks nowhere near as smooth now, is their no compromise on this, seems such a shame to lose the visual aspect

Cuzer

Try this... Look in one direction, and now quickly whip your head around to look in the opposite direction. Notice how blurry everything looks while you are quickly moving your head? Arma2 is meant to look that way, which makes it look and feel more real. This isn't a battlefield series or COD series clone, this is ARMA!!! They meant it to be that way.

See you on the battlefield! :)