Sign in to follow this  
arma2disapointed

viewdistance and other dissapointments

What do you think BIS should work on. One thing "usually" decrease the other.  

403 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think BIS should work on. One thing "usually" decrease the other.

• View and drawing distance. (realism)
    • Increasing units that can be on map simultaniusly (less lag)
    • Graphics improvement (look at this, amazing)
    • Physics improvment (could be penetration values)
    • Add more sliders, settings (able use of very old computers)

1000 metres is a great limitation.

For myself, 10000 is enough: but it's personal taste after all.

I didn't read this thread, but the game has a slider that goes between 1000 and 10,000...

i don't think you get the point the ingame sliders slidders for VD is false in fact.

Because they are 2 separate VD :

-Terrain view distance wich is determined by the sliders

-Object view distance wich is 40% of your terrain viewdistance and wich can't be higher than 1700m.

So , if you put your slider to 10 000m you will see 1700m of terrain with trees, houses , tanks, infantery. But for 1700m to 10 000m you will only see flat terrain with no tree , no house , no enemy tanks

In arma I this value was of 2700m but it was already too low considering the range of today's weapons.

Edited by luckyhendrix

i don't think you get the point the ingame sliders slidders for VD is false in fact.

-Object view distance wich is 40% of your terrain viewdistance and wich can't be higher than 1700m.

So , if you put your slider to 10 000m you will see 1700m of terrain with trees, houses , tanks, infantery. But for 1700m to 10 000m you will only see flat terrain with no tree , no house , no enemy tanks

In arma I this value was of 2700m but it was already too low considering the range of today's weapons.

Where do these numbers come from? And ever tried setting object details higher or even better going into your playername.ArmA2Profile config and change the viewdistance and objectcount numbers? Both can be set as high as you and your computer like. And as long as you play Singeplayer you can enjoy those settings.

Everything on max (excpet post processing OFF), view distance 6k, helicopter wouldn't appear before ~1800m range.

Viewdistance could be somthing you need.

Drawdistance could be somthing you want.

If you going to shoot with this(finnish? sure not taliban) gun, for real men.

Like it.:)

Last night I decided to do the ol' dogfight thing. Got my rock and roll on, my aviator glasses , chewing gum and got into a jet.

And right then I realized that units not appearing until you are closer than 2000m makes no damn sense! I got into the action but as soon as the enemy units got some speed POOF, they were gone right in front of me eyes.

I wouldn't mind this being fixed like... you know.. soon! I can wait. :)

Viewdistance could be somthing you need.

Drawdistance could be somthing you want.

If you going to shoot with this(finnish? sure not taliban) gun, for real men.

Like it.:)

240mm Mortar 2S4 "Tulpan"("Tulip")

shoots with cluster bomb,actively-reactive, high-precision shells and nuclear shells - up to 18 km range ability.

So.. now you want to be able to draw objects at a 18km distance, to hit them with artillery?

What?

Thing is that computers are not mutch better now then ten years ago, 3Ghz limit was broken a long time ago, so thats why physics has "stand still" more or less last 10 years. So it´s understandable that brics dont fly when the sabbot hit a bric wall.

Hahah, I thought you were challegened, but then i read the above.... you sir are an idiot. Yes and a Car engine has not evolved either since its still available in 2.0L. Wow, dropped as a baby?

1.jpg

Last night I decided to do the ol' dogfight thing. Got my rock and roll on, my aviator glasses , chewing gum and got into a jet.

And right then I realized that units not appearing until you are closer than 2000m makes no damn sense! I got into the action but as soon as the enemy units got some speed POOF, they were gone right in front of me eyes.

I wouldn't mind this being fixed like... you know.. soon! I can wait. :)

Me to, but not forever, like 10 more years.

So.. now you want to be able to draw objects at a 18km distance, to hit them with artillery?

What?

18 km!!! you crazy? I prefere 25 km. Dont think it´s impossible, like this:eek::j:

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

FrG_Au

Is that a warm cup of wiskey you have there?

From what you write, you dont know what a real idiot is.:bounce3:

And i dont going to tell you that you remind me of santa close, it´s just that i cant see whats so funny in the post above.

Can always forgive a fool for caling me an idiot. To stay at topic i suggest to talk about the choise in the poll.

Edited by arma2disapointed

Youre missing the point.

YOU WONT SEE THE OBJECT 18KM AWAY. So why draw it?

Youre missing the point.

YOU WONT SEE THE OBJECT 18KM AWAY. So why draw it?

The point is that the trajectory of the projectile should be physically corect.

Without using any scripts.

And with artillery you dont have to see the target, or it could be rain/fog that day so the viewdistance is 1 km.

Second would be to deside what aiming to have on the artillery.

Sorry but youre talking utter nonsense.

How does viewdistance affect the trajectory of artillery?

It doesnt matter what the viewdistance is, you can still HIT targets that are outside of view distance with artillery.

Spotter on hillside, clear day.

In reality the viewdistance could be 60-100 km if try not to bread on the glases.

Why dont just make it possible, even if most computers cant handle this and have every other setting on full or high, hope you see the point.

And i have a feeling that you already know the answer to youre question.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Have to add.

The trajectory = game physics.

Do you think that bullets/shells/rockets "disappear" when they leave the view distance?

They do not.

And yes, i know the answer to the question which i posed to you. View distance does NOT affect trajectory.

Bread on the glasses?????

I've noticed the same thing and to me in a game such as Arma it's a critical issue, even with binoculars or as a Cobra gunner with max zoom you can't see any unit after ~2km, the odd thing is that you can see moving smoke on some invisible tanks ..

Maybe BIS should consider adding to the menu in plus of the visibility new options to set the drawing distance per object class "infantery, aircraft, buildings ect.."

Edited by dunedain

Do you think that bullets/shells/rockets "disappear" when they leave the view distance?

They do not.

Are you sure of that? We are talking about the game now.

If what you say is true then:yay::yay::yay::bounce3:

Have you possible some idea how far they can go before disappear?

Or if they have some hight limit before disappear?

In OFP it was somthing about 2500 meters. And if it´s unlimited in Arma2, then the physics has improved.

Spotter on hillside, clear day.

In reality the viewdistance could be 60-100 km if try not to bread on the glases.

Why dont just make it possible, even if most computers cant handle this and have every other setting on full or high, hope you see the point.

And i have a feeling that you already know the answer to youre question.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Have to add.

The trajectory = game physics.

and physics=math, which has zero to do with graphical rendering. All the ballistics can be caculated without being rendered.

Falcon 4 did a wonderful job of this for it's campaign of the whole Korean theather. Thousands of aircraft and ground units all caculated behind the scenes, but at at battalion/squadron level, only to be aggrigated down to individual units when they entered the player's 'bubble'.

Could wish the same applied here. Large battle on the other side of the island could be caculated at the platoon level without rendering as the player will never see it.

I don't think anyone is arguing that render distance of units needs to improve. But most people don't agree that you need to push the viewdistance past the current 10km as it's impossible to obtain it now.

Are we really taking him serious, i mean come on, his nickname should say everything you need to know: he's only here to troll, not add to the community with useful thoughts or ideas.

All he is ever going to do is complain, or say 'he can do it better in one day' *quote* if given the skills.

Well tough shit Sherlock, get the skills yourself and show us that you can build ArmA 3 without any bugs what so ever, where the playing ground covers the entire world, with an unlimited view distance, AND high framerates that don't drop below 60. I'll be there tomorrow to pick my game up, kthxbai.

and physics=math, which has zero to do with graphical rendering. All the ballistics can be caculated without being rendered.

Falcon 4 did a wonderful job of this for it's campaign of the whole Korean theather. Thousands of aircraft and ground units all caculated behind the scenes, but at at battalion/squadron level, only to be aggrigated down to individual units when they entered the player's 'bubble'.

Could wish the same applied here. Large battle on the other side of the island could be caculated at the platoon level without rendering as the player will never see it.

I don't think anyone is arguing that render distance of units needs to improve. But most people don't agree that you need to push the viewdistance past the current 10km as it's impossible to obtain it now.

Suposed youre right about the viewdistance cant be improved in Arma2 without major changes, you should be able to expect a drawdistance from 5000-10000 meters to say it have a physical improvement from Arma.

The poll in this case is speaking a clear language, almost better than i can write.

And also i do belive it would be increased to the point of Arma1, witch is somthing about 3000 meters.

And you could imagine that bis is playing a strategical game with the others on this. If look from the other angle it look a little silly.

And dont think it really matters, but thats just a theory.

Who knows, it may be a genius move.

Is that a warm cup of wiskey you have there?

From what you write, you dont know what a real idiot is.:bounce3:

And i dont going to tell you that you remind me of santa close, it´s just that i cant see whats so funny in the post above.

Can always forgive a fool for caling me an idiot. To stay at topic i suggest to talk about the choise in the poll.

Sorry, when you say that computing power has not advanaced in the last decade i almost fell off my chair.. The topic is stupid, its all about you crying about something you don't own.

Perhaps I will join a Ferrari forum and complain about the heavy clutch stopping me from buying one? And perhaps I will poll all Ferrari owners as to which part of "their" Ferrari they don't like and whinge about the limited colour options.

Perhaps I will join a Ferrari forum and complain about the heavy clutch stopping me from buying one? And perhaps I will poll all Ferrari owners as to which part of "their" Ferrari they don't like and whinge about the limited colour options.

LMFAO :p

Sorry, when you say that computing power has not advanaced in the last decade i almost fell off my chair.. The topic is stupid, its all about you crying about something you don't own.

Did you thought that you knew everything, or that nothing could surprice you anymore?

And about the ferrari forum, yes thats not a bad idea.

In this topic me and others are crying for viewdistance, physics, renderingdistance, lag.

In reality it´s only two things, graphics and physics, it´s just that physics is a very large part of the game so it need to be devided in sub categories like shortley viewdistance, renderingdistance, models, bullet trajectory, penetration values and such things. Yes.