Sign in to follow this  
rekrul

3.5 mins to save game?

Sorry if this is a re-run but I tried searching.

When playing campaign, saving the game takes pretty much 3 mins 30 secs for me. Is this normal? It's frikkin annoying.

Sorry if this is a re-run but I tried searching.

When playing campaign, saving the game takes pretty much 3 mins 30 secs for me. Is this normal? It's frikkin annoying.

Whoa... I've never got over 30 secs or so, even in the last mission when it crashed on out of memory while loading.

Which mission is it? How big your save file is (Documents\ArmA 2\Saved\ca\missions\campaign\...) ?

That sounds really odd, haven't heard of anyone having that problem. I assume you have the latest patch? What are your system specs? Any virus problems? What version of Windows are you running? How long ago has it been since you've reinstalled it? (if ever)

defrag ur PC, theres no reason it should take more than 10-20 secconds to save ur game. whats ur PC specs.

Large missions with heavy scripting and lots of units will take longer to save than simpler missions.

Still, that sounds too long. A defrag might help as the others have said. Make sure your hard drive also has a decent amount of free space (15% free required for a proper defrag if I remember correctly).

This has happened on every mission so far (almost finished with Manhattan). My current specs are Intel Duo 3 GHz, 2GB RAM, 8800 GTS, ATA disk, running XP which was installed 4-5 months ago. The PC is only used for Arma, Arma2 and watching movies. No other hickup except for this one. Defrag would be pointless as only 20% or so of the disk is used.

I'm currently upgrading it (as we speak actually) to Quad 2.8GHz, 2x4890 (but apparently I'm missing the cable to make it xfire) and total of 4GB RAM (which I guess XP won't recognize all of). I'll keep you updating.

Defrag would be pointless as only 20% or so of the disk is used..

I don't see how that would make the Defrag pointless... Try using JkDefrag, the defragger that comes with Windows sucks.

Well, I think I know what it is. I have "My Documents" on the NAS instead of locally. I guess that could confuse Arma. Although I have gig network with just a (gig) switch between the NAS and the PC so it's not the speed so I don't understand why Arma would be confused over it. The savegames are only ~50MB.

Edit: I meant it would be pointless since it's basically Windows and Arma2 on the PC so the fragmentation would be limited.

You could use the -profiles param to force it to save elsewhere. More info on the Biki. It's an ArmA 1 page but I'm guessing they're still the same. Then once it's saved to the new location, you can copy and overwrite with your old ones to keep all your settings / save games etc.

defrag ur PC, theres no reason it should take more than 10-20 secconds to save ur game. whats ur PC specs.

^^ Truth.

It used to take me like 3 minutes to start Age of Conan. Then I went defragged, after that it took 30 seconds. Defragging is huge.

Of course it can also piss you off if you use an automatic defragger that doesn't quite realize "Oh, you're playing a game? Sorry, I'll stop trying to move your game files....".

:)