Sign in to follow this  
sander

RCIR - UN Peacekeepers

Hi,

To familiarise myself with the Arma2 I have created a simple reskin addon that adds United Nations peacekeepers to the game. These are intended as a generic representation of blue helmets rather than portraying the forces of any nation in particular. The units can be found in the editor on side Independent (with a single unit available on side Civilian) as part of the faction RCIR - UN.

There is a little visual bug with the earpiece and microphone of the squad leader model: due to a texture mapping error on the original part of this equipment shows the helmet cover texture. This cannot be corrected without the tools.

rcir_un_forces.jpg

Armaholic download

Regards,

Sander

Edited by sander

good job sander! I like the woodland pattern, and nice to have UN units ingame. I used pinkys (?) UN pack for flashpoint alot.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Download version V1.01 at Armaholic

Changes compared to the previous versions:

- Changed a number of config entries

- Added three additional classes of soldiers

- Added an addon with a truck

Regards,

Sander

Edited by sander

Great work, all we need now is a UN reskin of the MI-8........

:bounce3:

Nice to see UN's unit in chernarus, look more realistic and this is great for some new mission.

I REALLY love the UN truck

Can we hope a Mi-8 / LAV / UAZ / C130 ? and maybe some civilian stuff (doctor and UN tentes, box of UN cargaison, ect...). This is awesome for ambiance !

since I just love UN stuff, (esp if it comes in one generic addon that is good and so on) then its perfect..

I would like to help out later on (currently in Mexico for some more weeks). So sanders, if you do plan to do the c130, mi8 and maybe some other minor stuff.. I will come and reinforce you :)

(if you want)

oh and if I could recommend, start with the mi8 since it can easily be retextured using the config/swap textures stuff.

Thanks for making this, I'm trying to make a SP mission with it now :)

I'll make do with the RAF Chinook and some m113s until more skins appear, If my mission isn't awful I'll upload it here as well.

Awesome!!!

When StalkerGB finishes his British soldiers and guns i suggest that you get permission to use the guns, as UN Soldiers most frequently use the SA80 Series, Not the M16 or it's variants, but i'm not completely sure about this :o

Awesome!!!

When StalkerGB finishes his British soldiers and guns i suggest that you get permission to use the guns, as UN Soldiers most frequently use the SA80 Series, Not the M16 or it's variants, but i'm not completely sure about this :o

"UN soldiers" carry whatever armaments issued to them by their respective country - The UN doesn't have an army, a military logistics system or anything like that. Each nation who signs the charter is expected to provide peacekeeping forces and resources (within reason) to areas and conflicts deliberated upon by the Security Council. If I remember correctly the top contributor of peace keeping forces is, and has been for quite some time, Pakistan.

Nice work by the way, Sander - I remember playing with Low Lands Warrior in OFP:R.

Thanks.

---

As stated above UN forces carry the small arms of their own nation. The United Nations never provide individual armament, though on some operations certain vehicles and communications equipment (radio interoperability between organic communication equipment of contributing nations is rarely achieved across the force) may be provided through either common funds and/or donations from member states. As the SA80 series has been adopted by only a single UN member state, the UK, and have not been exported in any numbers to speak of it would not be the most appropriate choice for generic peacekeepers. The M16 and Kalashnikov assault rifles and their derivatives on the other hand are used by many dozens of nations, so would much more likely be carried by any blue helmets.

Regards,

Sander

"UN soldiers" carry whatever armaments issued to them by their respective country - The UN doesn't have an army, a military logistics system or anything like that. Each nation who signs the charter is expected to provide peacekeeping forces and resources (within reason) to areas and conflicts deliberated upon by the Security Council. If I remember correctly the top contributor of peace keeping forces is, and has been for quite some time, Pakistan.

I know that the UN doesn't really have an army, but the SA 80 should be included for all those lovely Brits :)

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Thanks.

---

As stated above UN forces carry the small arms of their own nation. The United Nations never provide individual armament, though on some operations certain vehicles and communications equipment (radio interoperability between organic communication equipment of contributing nations is rarely achieved across the force) may be provided through either common funds and/or donations from member states. As the SA80 series has been adopted by only a single UN member state, the UK, and have not been exported in any numbers to speak of it would not be the most appropriate choice for generic peacekeepers. The M16 and Kalashnikov assault rifles and their derivatives on the other hand are used by many dozens of nations, so would much more likely be carried by any blue helmets.

Regards,

Sander

Thanks for clearing that up :)

I'm actually suprised that the SA80 Series hasn't been adpoted by any other nation other than the UK, it's odd...

I'm actually suprised that the SA80 Series hasn't been adpoted by any other nation other than the UK, it's odd...

Not surprising. Almost every major military nations uses its own sourced weapon systems to ensure no loss of supply should currently friendly nations become hostile or sever a current supply chain.

Has nothing to do with our kit is better than your kit, just our kit is made by us so not going to be a supply issue.

Shame as there are some dam good weapon systems out there which would be good to see in many forces.

...UN doesn't really have an army, but the SA 80 should be included for all those lovely Brits...

The Brits won't be wearing the same type of webbing and so on and so forth as these guys do anyway - I think this lightweight addon should be left as is with no addon dependencies other than the stock game (you can ofcourse personally kit these fellows out with the SA80 though, when that pack is released). I do hope that STALKERGB and other addonmakers consider throwing in a few units in blue helmets in the future though.

I haven't ever seen UN soldiers in helmets like the helmet of the nearest man on the screenshot.

There will be no other dependencies added. The aim is merely to provide some generic UN themed units . The planned additions will only comprise reskins of units and vehicles from the original game.

The helmet cover is, unsurprisingly, similar to the one currently used by Dutch armed forces on UN duty. One of the first batches delivered was in blue with similar insignia applied to the helmet itself, but the issue of helmet covers is more versatile. National practice varies among contributing nations, with some preferring to use helmet covers, others plain helmets, and with varying insignia applied.

Dutch B826 helmet and helmet covers

Blue helmets with insignia on UNTAC deployment (1993)

Regards,

Sander