Sign in to follow this  
abs

Anyone ever play Rise of Flight?

$203.36 USD for all the planes.

Theres a 45% discount for buying them all.

Factor in the buggy account system and it's not very appealing no matter how pretty the game looks.

Buying all the Field modifications slaps another $45 USD onto the price AFTER the discount.

Edited by jblackrupert

Nobody forces you to buy all the planes.

But now with the way they handle the upgrade from the demo to the full game by just buying the plane(s) that you like you get 10 playable planes (8 bought + the two from the demo) for the price of a full game in a store.

That's even better than the ICE edition that I bought a few weeks ago for ~50$/35€ (9 planes of which some would not have been my first picks, like the Nieuport 28 or Pfalz DIIIa and the DVII vs DVIIF).

And there is absolutely no need to buy any field mods (okay, maybe except for the Nieuports - did they really come w/o compass :eek:)

Let's see, if I had to pick,

all the "early ones", Fokker EIII, Airco D.H.2, Nieuport 11 or 17,

and for the mid to late war, Fokker Dr.I, Albatros DII(I), Sopwith Camel, Fokker DVII(F), SE5a.

Not to forget the freebies from the demo, the Albatros DVa and Spad XIII, already incl. field mods.

I'd consider that a solid, varied and also balanced collection at a modest price of 42.67$/29.4€ (8-13 planes have a 30% discount, not 35% as written in the store :rolleyes:).

Finally I would have added at least one bomber, preferably a Central one as some Entente scouts can already carry bombs. Most likely the Gotha G.V for the bigger change. That would add another 10.5$ (already incl. the 30% discount).

If you really felt like buying all planes at once to get the maximum discount you would have to pay ~105$/73€ - actually not that bad. And future planes get offered as a preorder with discount, so no need to pay the full price either if you really desperatly need all the planes.

No, nobody forces us to buy the extra planes. Luckily we aren't forced to buy a game that doesn't come with the most recognizable planes of the era it's supposed to simulate either.

Red Baron had them them all out of the box and a very extensive manual and large map to go with it. Some other goodies also but I can't remember what.

ROF's digital download of all versions of the game cost the same as it does in a store with box, DVD and manual.

Some of the planes are buggy and in need of fixing but they haven't gotten around to it.

they just keep popping them out ignoring requests from people who paid for planes

to get them fixed.

Updates are forced because each time they make a new plane it needs to be patched into the game. The planes are there, you have to pay to fly them.

No direct downloads of the patches are available and the auto-updater is like the rest of the account system, unreliable and slow for many people.

The game itself is beautiful and fun to play when the account system is working

but their business model makes EA look like a charity.

The new free 2 play demo is nice but at the end of the day they're still stabbing themselves in the foot with their prices and shoddy account system maintenance.

I want to buy the game but until they fix the two main issues people have are fixes [Acccount system/Prices] then I'll spend my money on other indie game developers.

Edited by jblackrupert

Some other goodies also but I can't remember what.

Red Baron Pizza coupon.

Right now there is a big aircraft sale for Rise Of Flight (RoF) until 17th January - every available plane at a 50% discount!

The discounts also apply to the Field Mods!

RiseOfFlight.com Store

(note that the Halberstadt CL.II is "just" a pre-order discount and the plane is not yet in the game!)

If you don't know RoF yet, you do not have to buy the cat in the bag, but you can test RoF with the free demo, giving you the full game with two flyable planes (Albatros DVa, Spad XIII) - Rise of Flight Demo.

All other planes are also in the Demo - non-flyable. The demo also allows you to join the normal Multiplayer and you can even man the gunner positions of the two-seaters and bombers that way!

Rise of Flight has now reached v1.023b with several interesting updates since the last posts (v1.019):

New planes:

• Spad 7 150/180HP
  • Bristol F2.b FII/FIII two-seat fighter
  • R.E.8 Recon/Light bomber

In the work and currently available as pre-order is the Halberstadt CL.II.

They lately also started to revise some flight models, with

• fully reworked S.E.5a
  • reworked Nieuport N.17
  • minor updates to the Fokker DVII/DVIIF (reduced adverse yaw by fixing the aelerons)

There is also a new campaign available in the shop, based around the battle of St. Mihiel (can't comment on it, as I have not yet played it).

They also added some other little nice-to-have gimmicks for the dedicated fans, Personalization (don't have them myself - yet... :rolleyes: )

Edited by WhoCares

Quoting straight from the RoF page:

Pilots,

In celebration of the 3 year anniversary of the launch of Rise of Flight - ROF:ICE in digital form is available at both FSPilotshop.com and PCAviator.com for just $9.99 May 4th-11th.

This is a great time to grab a copy and get airborne! Tell all your flight-sim friends!

FSPilotshop = http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2740

PC Aviator = http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=19234

Enjoy!

Jason

RoF:ICE (Iron cross Edition) gives you access to nine flyable aircraft: Nieuport 28, Fokker D.VII, Sopwith Camel, SE.5a, Nieuport 17, Pfalz D.XII and Fokker Dr.1. Of course, the SPAD 13 and Albatros D.Va, which are anyway in the Free2Play demo incl. their Field Mods, are also part of RoF:ICE.

Last month RoF reached v1.024 with the release of the Halberstadt CL.II with two engine variants, the standard Mercedes 180HP DIIIa engine and the introduction of the overcompressed DIIIaü with 200HP. The addition of the latter gives hope for some new and long awaited variants of the Albatros D.V, Pfalz D.XII and most important the Fokker D.VII (but no promises there!).

The release of the next update v1.025 is already in preparation (actually shifted from today to next week), adding the Airco D.H.4 to the plane set - a total of 28 already available planes, some incl. sub-variants like Spad 7 150HP & 180HP, and three pre-orderable with a discount (e.g. D.H.4).

Two of the pre-orderable planes, the flying boat Felixstowe F.2A and the float plane Hansa Brandenburg W.12, are subjects of the development plans for 2012, centering around the addition of a channel map.

But there is even more in the pipeline than that, as a number of Weapon Mods for various planes have been announced as well and shall become availabe later this or next month.

See you in the virtual skies above the western front!

pilotfly.gif

Thought after almost a year it is worth to post another update:

RoF has just been updated to v1.030, also adding 3 (or better 2.5) new planes, Halberstadt D.II, Roland C.II and a british variant of the Nieuport N.17 (overwing Lewis gun instead of fuselage mounted Vickers).

Since the last post, there have been a number of other interesting additions, esp. the Channel map, with a flying boat (Felixstowe F.2A) and a float plane (Brandenburg W.12) - with the last update also supported in the career mode, with Belgian units and Gotha's over England.

Right now there is a big sale ongoing (until 3rd of April), with a significant discount on most of the content (except for the latest additions). But be reminded that you don't need all the planes and gimmicks to enjoy the game, be it in single player or multiplayer.

file.php?id=39683&t=1

pilotfly.gif

You can also download the game and play for free with limited number of planes.I personally own every plane and add on but you don't need every plane to enjoy this great ww1 flight sim

.. but you don't need every plane to enjoy this great ww1 flight sim

I´ve had a look at the "free edition" last year when it was first announced thinking it´d offer at least a little bit of red baron´ish atmosphere for no money, but hell was i wrong.

Started campaign, had to trial & error my way for a suitable squadron/timeline that allowed the few available planes (where you´d think it would be the other way around, i.e. you can only choose mission you got the plane for) to even start it. And when that succeeded (with huuuge restrictions and alot of fiddling) it wasn´t even all that much fun.

Not like i hadn´t wanted to play a nice WW1 airplane sim once again, used my pedals for yaw, loved the anti torque takeoff, learned about zomm&boom ... but there was too much "oh you gotta pay for this" going on in the game for my taste. DLC laden software is a nogo, sometimes you just wanna pay once and have it all.

Not like i hadn´t wanted to play a nice WW1 airplane sim once again, used my pedals for yaw, loved the anti torque takeoff, learned about zomm&boom ... but there was too much "oh you gotta pay for this" going on in the game for my taste. DLC laden software is a nogo, sometimes you just wanna pay once and have it all.

Same.

Love my flight sims, tried it not knowing that was how you paid, then between the very poor free introduction and realising I'd be micro-transacting for everything ....... I just uninstalled it ........

The greed of the DLC turned me off that game bigtime, a lot of the "Patches" are nothing more then an excuse to add yet another overpriced plane and $5 compass

Tried it. It's a good game at it's core.

The engine itself is pretty great. Good graphics, excellent flight dynamics, etc. But yeah, the DLC to death stopped me from getting into it before I really started.

Well that and no matter how sexy it seems, WWI fighter combat is just not that much fun to me. I'm looking forward to the WWII stuff that's being done on the engine. I think it's IL2's old developers minus Maddox.

Edited by bonchie