Sign in to follow this  
abs

Anyone ever play Rise of Flight?

Nice Physics, I may try it also. Maybe they will release a demo.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I heard that they're going to have a business model that will have you purchasing extra planes. Maybe OFP/ARMA spoiled me, but I'm not cool with that. Too bad, because I really loved playing Red Baron back in the day.

Abs

RoF sounds very interesting, but judging from impressions on simhq forums it seems quite incomplete and seriously lacking content. The fact that it is (apparently) going to be sold as a full priced game, yet you need to still buy the extra planes etc. separately means its propably going to be rather expensive... And it uses some online-only system where you cannot play the game even on singleplayer without logging in to their service first.

I'll propably wait a while and see how it progresses, seems a bit risky investment now :)

My saitek evo force got lot of dirt past two years :'( no word from Maddox and its BoB ?

just downloaded the demo last night and i will buy the game, i know there are few issues but i heard on their board that they're giving away two extra airplanes free of charge and working on fixing memory error issues and performance patches. I had to support the developer because of lack of seriousness in PC development these days "Dragon Rising".

RoF sounds very interesting, but judging from impressions on simhq forums it seems quite incomplete and seriously lacking content. The fact that it is (apparently) going to be sold as a full priced game, yet you need to still buy the extra planes etc. separately means its propably going to be rather expensive... And it uses some online-only system where you cannot play the game even on singleplayer without logging in to their service first.

I'll propably wait a while and see how it progresses, seems a bit risky investment now :)

QFT. I bought it last July, and shelved it until they solve some of their problems (mainly the joystick sensibility). IMHO It's a nice flying sim but it's not a combat sim yet. It was designed more for MP than SP. But the MP part it's not working well AFAIK.

For Red Baron fans I'd advise OFF (Over Flanders Field) a mod for CFS3.

At the same time I shelved ROF I begun to play OFF. Quite honestly it's the only game that can keeps me away from ARMA II. It has a brilliant and a historical correct campaign. It gives me the same kind of immersion that OFP/ARMA gives me.

If you're a Red Baron fan you should consider OFF.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/info.htm

QFT. I bought it last July, and shelved it until they solve some of their problems (mainly the joystick sensibility). IMHO It's a nice flying sim but it's not a combat sim yet. It was designed more for MP than SP. But the MP part it's not working well AFAIK.

For Red Baron fans I'd advise OFF (Over Flanders Field) a mod for CFS3.

At the same time I shelved ROF I begun to play OFF. Quite honestly it's the only game that can keeps me away from ARMA II. It has a brilliant and a historical correct campaign. It gives me the same kind of immersion that OFP/ARMA gives me.

If you're a Red Baron fan you should consider OFF.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/info.htm

i like OFF but with no demo there is no way i would know what this game is all about! wait a second, i'm confused here! is OFF a game or a mod for Combat Flight Simulator?

Hey never mind my question above, i got it figured out, paying $30 for a mod is heck lot of money!

Edited by InFireBaptize

i like OFF but with no demo there is no way i would know what this game is all about! wait a second, i'm confused here! is OFF a game or a mod for Combat Flight Simulator?

Hey never mind my question above, i got it figured out, paying $30 for a mod is heck lot of money!

It's much more than just a mod. They have changed deeply CSF3. Look at any of the videos and you'll notice that. There was a lot of work involved (technically and historical research). I too had doubts and thought that. But I risked and I was highly rewarded. I would pay $60 and would have no remorse.

But I understand that without a demo you don't want to risk.

May I suggest that you try OFF phase 2 which is free and at least give a little taste of what is OFF phase 3. I know it's not the same thing but I tried also before buying phase III. If you have any difficulties in getting phase 2 you can always PM me and I'll help you.

EDIT: Two reviews from SimHQ

http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_401i.html

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_423a.html

Edited by Von_Paulus

It's much more than just a mod. They have changed deeply CSF3. Look at any of the videos and you'll notice that. There was a lot of work involved (technically and historical research). I too had doubts and thought that. But I risked and I was highly rewarded. I would pay $60 and would have no remorse.

But I understand that without a demo you don't want to risk.

May I suggest that you try OFF phase 2 which is free and at least give a little taste of what is OFF phase 3. I know it's not the same thing but I tried also before buying phase III. If you have any difficulties in getting phase 2 you can always PM me and I'll help you.

EDIT: Two reviews from SimHQ

http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_401i.html

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_423a.html

Thanks, i really like ROF and looking forward to complete the training missions, right now ArmA2, ROF and soon PES10 + Family = no time to try other games.

Thanks, i really like ROF and looking forward to complete the training missions, right now ArmA2, ROF and soon PES10 + Family = no time to try other games.

OK.

But be careful with the sniper AI. :D

I was about to order, until i read that an active online connection is required to play the game. WTF.

I was about to order, until i read that an active online connection is required to play the game. WTF.

i was concerned about that but i have dsl modem and i'm connected to internet 24/7 so really didn't care much. I think it is a good idea to stop hackers from ruining online game experience.

You might have a 24 hours connection but if their servers are offline you cannot authenticate. And yes it already happened at least I read people complaining about that. But honestly it never happened with me.

Got it the other day i must say, being a pilot in rl, it is really quite good. I find a lot of the fights turn into aerial turning battles however. I was wondering if anyone else from the community plays and if so maybe we could form a squadron?

I play ARMAII regularly with the War Hawks, but they also have DCS:Blackshark and RoF in their schedule. You may be interested in joining them in-game...you don't have to join their clan to do so.

http://www.war-hawks.net/

Abs

I got the demo and it did turn into a turning war. As well as the hardcore players were reporting many bugs that I didn't experience, but it looked quite good. I did however d/l Wings of Prey and that's also quite good.

yeh been playing both quite a lot...i had to fiddle about with my control and AI settings a lot on ROF until i got it to the point where it felt like more than flying around in circles...now i enjoy it especially larger dogfights.

I've tried the demo and liked it very much. It takes some practice to control it well. Even shooting a slowly moving column of cars is not easy, but the more satisfying. The physics seems really good. The only thing I don't like is the game internet protection. I don't have an ideal connection (especially in bad weather) and I get popups/pauses in the middle of the game :/

Today they released a new version v1.019 with a load of new content, changes fixes...

Most notably a completely new Career mode, SSAA, SLi/Crossfire support, changed handling of draw distance (planes now visible up to 8.5km if your hardware allows), new missions like artillery spotting and photo recon, and countless other stuff, check it out yourself:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20511

But most interesting for most of you will be the unlimited Free2Play demo:

Version 1.019 changes how we view the ROF Demo process. We have decided to change how new users (and old Demo users) enter the Rise of Flight universe and we have adopted a “Free 2 Play†approach. Now, every customer who has installed and registered his demo-version of ROF is granted access to all features and game modes on an UNLIMITED basis for two aircraft and all gunner positions. Demo-users can fly the Albatros D.Va and SPAD 13.C1 in all single player and multiplayer modes and we have also included each plane’s Field Modifications. This gives new users a real chance to experience all aspects of Rise of Flight for free.

In addition, we are providing the ability to purchase new content for your Unlimited Demo without the necessity to pay for a prior upgrade. You can add a single plane at a time or create a discounted bundle.

Playing the game now for little more than a month I can already say that for a flight sim fan, if you haven't yet (or were turned away for whatever reason), this is now a great opportunity to give it (another?!) try!

The strict online requirement has also been slightly lifted in the past, allowing some offline action.

See you over the frontline!

They removed the internet connection requirement for SP a long time ago

Their account system is pretty buggered up and they've pretty much done nothing about it.

Getting the demo to actually allow you to play is very hit and miss for some people.

The whole having to buy planes thing is a real turn off for me.

I like to support the little guy but ROF's business model is a little bit too greedy for me.

Checked their site: Clicking download the demo lin: http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en It just sends you in circles.

If you would like to see how to register your Unlimited ROF Demo please watch this video.
What video?. there is no video.

Click "Login" = Page not found.

After all this time they still can't get a properly working website, Demo and account system in place.

Edited by jblackrupert

Well, the internet connection requirement is still not completely removed for SP (e.g. the SP career requires online login).

I didn't have any problems with their account system, but I also had little interaction with it, esp. as I did never play the demo but started with the ICE Edition. But they seem to be very responsive in case of problems, e.g.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=20561&sid=31afcf387eedc06bd1728e48ba48b5f0

I am not the greatest fan of the business model either, but considering the content they added with the latest (free!) patch, content that itself might have warranted a price tag, one can also consider it an investment in the continued development, as quite some people here have done with BAF and PMC.

Now with this demo and the changed full license upgrade path you have a fairly easy and cheap way to evaluate and "customize" the game as you like. Nobody forces you to buy any other component but with just the "demo" you can still play the game in all its aspects if you are content with the Spad XIII and the Albatros DVa.

They give you the full game, just limited to two playable models but with all other models included and all game modes, maps, etc. in the unlimited demo.

Regarding the demo download, they just updated the game yesterday to 1.019, so it might have taken them some time to update the references. Anyway, the link to the torrent seems to be working now. Still no video, but I am not sure why one would be needed anyway ;)

Trust me, myself, several of my friends and many many people online that I have seen

have tried a ton of times to get the demo to work.

I've gone through at least 10 email accounts trying to get a working account to get the demo going. All enquiries to Neoqb have been ignored.

A video at least might give people some confirmation that they are in fact doing it right.

I've played the game on my friends computer

it looks great but I had a LOT more fun playing Red Baron when it came out and ALL the planes where there.

My friend who owns ROF actually spends more time playing that then ROF. Rarely online with ROF because to the account hassles.

Edited by jblackrupert

I was really enthusiastic about RoF before its release but then it dawned on me that the game is unfinished AND you have to pay humongous prices for individual planes. I mean, you seriously can't fly THESE planes without paying extra? Most of them are exactly the ones you expect to be included in any self-respecting WW1 flying sim out of the box.

I'll try the demo nevertheless.

Edited by Celery