Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

3Dsmax ArmA2 modding toolset

How do you get a copy of 3Dsmax that works with this?

You BUY! it, or update (still BUY IT!) your order license...

ohhh, the 30day trial might work for all i know

hey, great work on the .p3d exporter SA, is there much hope for getting smooth groups working?

loving the tool, im starting to use it alot more now, i pretty much use the ao baker even for non-arma2 related stuff all the time :),

Just a suggestion, you could put a load in Photoshop button somewhere in the texture menu next to the "preview by applying to mesh" button, like this script here

also it would be great if the AO renderer could save its settings

Edited by mikebart

hey

smooth groups do work fine :) apply smoothing groups to the whole model (doesnt matter which number so u can use Auto SG) then just select the polies that u want to have sharp edges and cancel their smoothing groups (Clear All). Export. Open in O2 select all and press F5 :) ur smooth groups are done.

I will look into ur other suggestions.

hi Genius ;o),

using max 9 and try to apply the DirectX Shader. In your Tutorial Video it is a glossy Material, if i open this shader looks like the default Max Mat. If i apply this to a poly i can change the Shader Values only with defaultFX(directX).If i apply the super Shader and change any Values this has no Result.

In Mat Window looks like default grey Mat and i my Scene preview all is black.

Need Help please, any Ideas ?

Greetings

I really have no idea as to the exact behavior of all these tools in versions below 2010 as thats the only thing i can test on. I only try to make sure the commands and syntax I use fits all versions. I have no idea if the shader looks different. Does it export the rvmat?

Hi SA,

same problem as post before with 3DsMax 9 and material DirectX Shader. Error by loading SuperShader.FX file, in the SuperShader.fx Parameters rollout is note "No valid technqiues found".

thanx

hey

smooth groups do work fine :) apply smoothing groups to the whole model (doesnt matter which number so u can use Auto SG) then just select the polies that u want to have sharp edges and cancel their smoothing groups (Clear All). Export. Open in O2 select all and press F5 :) ur smooth groups are done.

I will look into ur other suggestions.

ok understood, I guess this means i have carefully to go through existing models and re work my smooth groups, but ill definitely work that way in future, thanks :)

what I do is usually select all and do Auto-SG, then go Select by SG and go number by number. Flat part usually have a common number so whenever I find a flat part I just use Clear All.

ok thanks SA, ill try that out, either way its still worth it for me to set them up for your .p3d exporter, i have nothing but trouble trying to import multiple UVs from .3ds or .obj meshes into O2, but your exporter works a charm :)

thnx all for positive feedback and bug reports. Im also very interested in additional features ppl might think I should include. Feel free to suggest.

I've got a few more suggestions for the texture panel, could you have an option to pick which UV channel you want to render the AO from and another button or maybe a pop up question asking if you want to switch back to the default scanline renderer after the AO render is finished?

Don't know if you already considered it , or if it is even possible to use a Biped prerigged skeleton in max to create rtm animation files.

Teacup did a great Maya anim Toolset , but in his version the fingers weren't rigged.

In 3ds (built in realtime IK-system) it is much easier to create animations than in o2.

that is exactly how it is going to work :) Biped rigs the skeleton and the preview model.

Does anyone know of a working path between Blender and ArmA 2, or if such a method is being worked on? I have lots of experience with Blender and Nifskope, but I don't think my brain could absorb much more modeling software. I modeled quite a bit with Oblivion and would love to add to the model library of this modding community.

Thanks,

Khugan

Edited by Khugan

Does anyone know of a working path between Blender and ArmA 2, or if such a method is being worked on? I have lots of experience with Blender and Nifskope, but I don't think my brain could absorb much more modeling software. I modeled quite a bit with Oblivion and would love to add to the model library of this modding community.

Thanks,

Khugan

O2 can import obj and 3ds files. Obviously, you will need to sort out the LODs, proxies and selections, animations, etc etc from it, but at least you can model in something better than o2...

Not really the scope of this thread though

hi i have a question

in 3dmax im using 3dem files for terrain layout

what i like to know is does your program support exporting those from max to visitor3

Thank you a lot for this very usefull tool. I am sure that your tool helps many many peoples ( at least me :D ).

btw: When i tried to duplicate selected lod i have recieved error message:

MaxScript Rollout Handler Exception

-- RunTime error: Cant load buttom image: bitmap: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\Scripts\armaToolBox2.bmp"

I am using 3D Studio Max 9.

I resolved this problem by pasted this images (armaToolBox2.bmp) to new created path 3ds Max 2010\Scripts\ :yay:

im new to 3ds, is there a way to attach every as one so when i click any where on the object it selects the whole thing rather than the part im clicking on it cause i dont quite get the detach part for axis as every thing can still come apart or is tht the way it ment to be? thanks for the mod tools and thanks in advance for the help!

Hi, i've found little bug. If you choose Custom size in Texture node and set up some value then raises Maxscript exception Window: "--Argument count error size_w.changed wanted 0, got 1".

And some suggestions: its possible to make a preview of animations with values defined in model.cfg directly in 3DSMax viewport? Just for checking if they was adjusted correctly..somewhat like animation preview in Buldozer.

And little one, can you set Tag name optionally by creating Project Folder?

im new to 3ds, is there a way to attach every as one so when i click any where on the object it selects the whole thing rather than the part im clicking on it cause i dont quite get the detach part for axis as every thing can still come apart or is tht the way it ment to be? thanks for the mod tools and thanks in advance for the help!

Im not too sure what you mean, im not too familiar with that side of the tools yet, but there are a few ways to do what i think you mean found in vanilla 3dsmax.

try using groups, you can open them for if you want to select objects inside of them, double click the pink bounding box to select all within the group. Im not sure if it affects the exporting or any other factor of SA's tool having grouped objects though

or,

try using selection sets, just left of the mirror button is a box called "Create Selection Set" you just select the bits you want and type a name into the box e.g 'all' and then you can click the drop down menu and select a selection set, this is a good way cause it doesnt really affect the objects themselves