Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

3Dsmax ArmA2 modding toolset

I do seem to be having some problems exporting from version 2010

Heres what I did:

Project Setup: Created folders and the blueprint. Resized the blueprint to 2x2x2 meters.

Created a simple box, 1x1x1m.

Deleted the blueprint sides.

Texture: 512x512, Selected Pink n White. Both saveTo files and applied.

Skipped Named Section.

Created 0,1,3, Shadow Volum 0 LODS. ( Kept them all the same, made no changes, since its a box ).

Skipped Memory LODs Section.

Refreshed Hierarchy: Shows "myBox".

Export: "Export p3d file", Auto generated, selected all the LOD's and went to export.

The error at this point is:

"Runtime error: mesh operation on non-mesh: Target"

What did I do drastically wrong?

Any help would be excellent!

Edited by nullsystems

You forgot to delete the the light target in one of ur lods. try going into wireframe mode and looking for a small blue cube. Delete it. Reload the toolbox. Try again.

Ideally your lods should contain nothing else other then geometry. The geometry should also be converted to Editable Poly.

Thanks for the update:

It now saves if I dont choose "materials and textures". But when opening in Oxygen 2, it says " unable to load file".

Really confused now.

However, if I choose "save materials and textures"

I get the following:

unknown property: "filename" in undefined:

function readTextureFilePath mtl num=
(
	bmp = mtl.geteffectbitmap num
	BmpFileName = bmp.filename
	BmpFileNameRel = pathConfig.removePathTopParent BmpFileName
	return BmpFileNameRel
),

p3d export doesn't work when exporting model which has multiple UV channels.

54434315.jpg

Edited by USSRsniper

It should, the error you get is due to having a Multi-material applied somewhere. They are not supported.

If you have 2 different materials assigned to the same object, no matter which channel, then its automatically a multi-material. In the material editor, use the eyedropper tool and click on the object.

In any case here is a patch with some built in warnings and by-goes some errors. Your error should not crash the prog no more :):

http://sparrowstudio.net/armavdv/toolbox/ArmAToolBox_1.1_patch1.rar

read the readme.

If you have 2 different materials assigned to the same object, no matter which channel, then its automatically a multi-material. In the material editor, use the eyedropper tool and click on the object.

In any case here is a patch with some built in warnings and by-goes some errors. Your error should not crash the prog no more :):

http://sparrowstudio.net/armavdv/toolbox/ArmAToolBox_1.1_patch1.rar

read the readme.

Tried to export a box just for a test, no multi/Sub-object error but still get this error "--Unknown property: "effectFile" in undefined"

And point's to the same line just as the error before "typeOfMat = getfilenamefile expMesh.material.effectfile" If i select save materials and textures, get the same error that nullsystems gets "unknown property: "filename" in undefined: ". Also O2 crashes when trying to load the p3d.

Edited by USSRsniper

patch installed?

No, just tried with the patch and didn't get any messages and got the model with "multi/sub-object" material into p3d. It seems that p3d export in your toolbox doesn't keep smoothing groups?

works like this: any smoothing group = smooth edges, no smoothing group = sharp edges. So Auto Assign SG would still give you a completely smooth model. U have to unassign SG to have sharp edges.

You sir are a genius! The moment I get time to sit down to finish the F-117A off I will be installing the new version! Thanks alot mate, has to be literally the most useful bit of kit in Arma modding history. Seriously appreciate your hard work on this.

ello,

Got a new error ive not seen before:

The model you are trying to export contains invalid faces. This will not work in O2

Don't think ive done anything out of the ordinary.

Items are:

Some Boxs, Oiltanks and 1 Text ( extruded into a 3d shape )

1 box and the text has "Bend" on it.

Edit:

I also tried this with just a cylinder, camfered items, alsorts. EVen with just one shape.

All converted to edit polys too.

Its worth noting, ive deleted each object seperately and tried. Still failed.

I have also tried deleting EVERYTHING, an that works.

I dont see how every object can now cause problems, so its got to be something im missing.

No cameras or lighting added either.

Any ideas, its completely halted my development for no reason.

Thanks!!!!

Edited by nullsystems

have you tried with mesh instead of poly?

have you tried with mesh instead of poly?

That will cause an error when exporting. Can only do polys.

I belive its because "chamfer" on edges isnt allowed.

Neither would Text, Cylinder or alike work either. And most of all, I cant use the "boolean" option from Compound. ugh

Not going to be able to carry on the way I wanted too now.

Just wasted several hours :(

Edited by nullsystems

chamfer should have no probs, since it creates new faces anyways. Make sure all your primary objects have been converted to editable objects (polys if you say with mesh it doesn work, although i find that strange, will need to test it myself).

For modifiers, guess you would need to colapse that on the mesh/poly (wild guess that is)

Text, yes, most likely not. Just convert that to poly as well

I convert everything to poly.

If you dont it wont work, at all. Its just the way he's made the system, probably a reason to it.

Chamfer, cylinder, text, compound object "boolean" method...tested them all several times. Just wont export with any of those things. I dont think it allows "bend" modifers either.

The following image uses 1 cylinder, 16 compound "boolean" objects to made the holes and probably 4 chamfers.

Just won't export that way :(

file.php?id=1066&mode=view

Edited by nullsystems

lol a screen of ur mesh not my prog :P

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

Checklist before export:

- Make sure you have only triangles and quads in ur mesh. This is whats causing ur error, you have somewhere n-sided polies. All the objects u described above by default have them and if you dont clean them up it will not export. Just clean ur mesh using the CUT tool in the Editable Poly menu.

- Before export, always collapse all modifiers and meshed to Editable Poly. If you did all correctly then any object would export :)

Ive updated the image on the previous page for you.

If I use those tools, your saying its still possible to get around it ?

I understand fully now after looking at what you said and then going back to what I did.

I dont see how I can do "Chamfer" tho, as it creates many sides...unless I have tons of triangles running around one object.

Worst part for me is, theres no way to replicate those circular holes anymore. Doh.

Edit:

For example, how can I cut the holes you see in the images?

Sorry ;)

Edited by nullsystems

It is possible to use boolean, just clean up ur mesh. Listen I think you are jumping in a bit too fast. The tools were designed in mind to cut the time spent on doing stuff and not help you with modeling. Basically it assumes that before you got the toolbox you could still get the model in O2 manually.

If I look at your pic on the previous page I can see that you still need to learn alot when it comes to making models for ArmA and trust me for every answered question here you will ask 10 more untill you get it right ;) Please dont take it wrong, I hope this will motivate you to learn, but I suggest you get a bunch of "How-To model for games" DVD's and just practice practice practice :) When you know how it all works without my toolbox, come back and start using it and it will cut your time by a factor of 10 ;)

Thanks for the help.

Im really not interested in making modelling for arma a full time project, just had some ideas for models thats all. I'll just plod along as usual :)