Sign in to follow this  
sate

Direct 2 Drive

Has anyone downloaded Arma 2 from D2D? and on their site it says version 1.0 but i read some where it was really version 1.2 can someone confirm this thx

My D2D version of ArmA2 was v1.2 out of the box. I felt dumb downloading the 1.2 patch and it was already 1.2.

o cool thx did u have any problems installing it? Is it a zip file?

Yes, 8.7 GB. You still need to apply the latest 1.02 patch (the updated one.) It starts applying the patch, will say the version is already 1.02 but it actually does its work and gets the game to the latest 1.02 version.

I had no trouble with the D2D version - I'm glad it's not Steam. Whatever copy protection D2D uses had no noticable effect on my computer.

You can either use their download manager or use Firefox to just download the zip file directly. IE doesn't work for direct download, so if you want to avoid installing 3rd-party stuff, use FF.

Edited by xxbbcc

D2D just uses securom which is pretty mild as DRM goes these days. I didn't realize that there was 2 different 1.02 versions. I'll give that another look.

My D2D copy came as a directory ArmA2_ddmf from their download manager which you have to use to download it. It's not a bad download manager (doesn't install toolbars or run at startup or anything of that) and you can uninstall it after the fact if you like.

As for Zip vs Directory. Mine came in directory but a friend's came in Zip from the same place. Apparently it depends "how it's feeling that day." Extracting the Zip takes a bit of time but you only have to do it once.

I had no trouble with the D2D version - I'm glad it's not Steam. Whatever copy protection D2D uses had no noticable effect on my computer.

Yeah, cause Steam is evil and makes your computer explode every other week or so. :rolleyes:

thx yea i hate extracting zips lol im kinda horrilble at it but will see wut happens downloading it now. can someone give me the link to the updated patch

http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/folder.html?lang=en

Steam is pretty evil since you can never trade, sell, or give a game away. It is permanently locked to your account for the purposes of diminishing resale and maximizing original distributor profits. Also any game that is subject to such user modification, option patching, etc is not at home in the Steam environment where patching is done beyond user choice and perfect original integrity of all files are assumed.

I think with D2D you do not have to use their download manager, I was just advised to because of the benefits to download speed. Windows XP or Windows Vista natively handle the ZIP format so it should be very easy to extract.

thx alot for the link cant wait till its finished downloading

Steam is pretty evil since you can never trade, sell, or give a game away. It is permanently locked to your account for the purposes of diminishing resale and maximizing original distributor profits.

In my experiences D2D isn't much better, they use DRM along with activation codes. So if you reinstall your OS or lose your install, you have to contact support in order to get a new activation code. This has taken several days for me in the past, and you are not legally allowed to sell a game purchased from D2D.

I think the previous poster was pulling that "newer 1.02 patch" nonsense out of his behind. My D2D install of ArmA2 was 1.02.58134 without any patching.

Steam is pretty evil since you can never trade, sell, or give a game away. It is permanently locked to your account for the purposes of diminishing resale and maximizing original distributor profits. Also any game that is subject to such user modification, option patching, etc is not at home in the Steam environment where patching is done beyond user choice and perfect original integrity of all files are assumed.

I think with D2D you do not have to use their download manager, I was just advised to because of the benefits to download speed. Windows XP or Windows Vista natively handle the ZIP format so it should be very easy to extract.

I just finished and it said that 1.02 was already installed but im not sure if its the updated 1.02

There's no such thing as the updates 1.02. Your version is 1.02.58134 and the patch would cause the same result. You don't need the patch.

o ok thx for clearing that up

In my experiences D2D isn't much better, they use DRM along with activation codes. So if you reinstall your OS or lose your install, you have to contact support in order to get a new activation code. This has taken several days for me in the past, and you are not legally allowed to sell a game purchased from D2D.

But if you like some game, you would keep it forever. I would do it. I have more than 15 games in D2D. Whenever I need to play, there are ready in online, do not consume HDD space after installation and do not need to be in book shelf. :yay:

When you buy from D2D can you also install mods like a physical CD would allow. I will most likely purchase from d2d b/c its the only place in the USA that you can get the US version. Correct?

I have had to contact D2D support (with a completely different SUPPORT account of course because they can't seem to use one account for the same thing) about activating SupCom three times and Silent Hunter 4 Uboat Missions expansion twice.

I'm so sick of it that I will never buy ANYTHING from D2D again! I do not recommend it, their DRM SUCKS!

You might as well go out and buy Rise of Flight (check out the diminishing sales DRM that the developer used for that game!).

Direct2Drive Top 10 (28.6 - 4.7.2009):

* 1. ArmA 2

* 2. Aion: Tower of Eternity

* 3. The Sims 3

* 4. The Sims 3 (Mac)

* 5. Dawn of Discovery

* 6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

* 7. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

* 8. Overlord 2

* 9. Civilization 4: Complete Edition

* 10. Fallout 3

:yay:

hi i have been so frustrated because i cant find this game ANYWHERE!!!! and ive decided to buy it onine can some on plz tell me how direct to drive works and can i redownload games (like if my computer craps out) and can i download the game on a second computer. also can i download the game without an account. ive been to there website and its confusing PLZ help!:(

Honestly i recomend you get it for steam. You can download it as many times as you want as long as you remember your steam name and password... You can download on multiple computers but only play at the one you are logged in at...

I bought mine from Steam.

However......................I have used D2D many, many times in the past with zero problems other than having to wait on an occasional patch which happens with steam as well.

Direct to drive and steam basically work the same way.

D2D you download the game and they send you a code. You can download the game over and over. I have downloaded certain games multiple times.

Not an issue.

Steam works the same way except steam downloads and installs the game in a steam directory. Steam also patches games automatically though there can be a delay sometimes of a day or so from the patch release date.

Personally I like steam better, but D2D is just as good really.

I also love the fact that I don't have to keep up with cd's.

I haven't bought a game on CD/DVD Rom since back in the day.

I'll never go back.

oh thnxs its 12:22 and im ganna have to wait for my arma2 from D2D for 3 hours but ITS WORTH THE WAIT IM DANCING THROUGH THE HALLS LOLOLOLOLOL I LOVE THIS GAME i could not find it at stores so i said what the fudge and bought over the internet (IVE WAITED TWO MONTHES!)

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

P.s. The demo rocks two!

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

OH! by the way can you dowload the game from direct 2 drive on another computer after you have purchesed it????///\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\\

Just a heads up for anyone considering downloading A2 from Direct2Drive:

I've been downloading Arma2 from D2D for the past 2 days. My speeds are averaging 50-70 kbps and I still have 8-10 hours left at 70 kbps (for now; this is subject to change). Despite the fact that I am using their download manager, I have experienced unacceptably low speeds and a "network mirror failure" error that resulted in the download process to grind to a halt while I was at work. Fortunately I was able to pick up from where I left off as soon as I restarted the download manager when I arrived at home. At this point, I regret purchasing from D2D and may never do so again.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Before anyone asks: I have 10 mbs cable broadband that averages at least 6 mbs. Most downloads are around 500-1000 kbps, depending on the host's upload cap.

Edited by Murtok