Monkey Island/Indana Jones Lucasarts Games

+ most of the games you guys already posted

1. OFP.

2. Goldeneye.

3. System Shock series.

4. Zelda series.

5. Hitman series.

6. Diablo II.

7. Rainbow Six (up to and including Raven Shield, but nothing after).

8. Starcraft.

9. Mass Effect.

10. TES: Oblivion.

Honourables:

- Bioshock.

- Quake IV (more Strogg plz k thx).

- Ghost Recon.

- Quake.

- Phoenix: Deep Space Resurrection (look THAT one up, y'all).

- Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends (the best game nobody played).

- Company of Heroes.

- NFS: Porsche Unleashed.

- Commander Keen II.

- Mario 64.

- Mario Kart 64.

- F-Zero.

- Double Dragon series (NES).

Edited by CameronMcDonald
More honourables.

OFP/ArmA series

Mafia

Legends of Zelda series

Knights of the Old Republic

Metal Gear Solid (Gamecube remake - MGS2 gameplay but no bloody Raiden)

Red Orchestra: Ostfront

Max Payne

Soul Calibur

Shenmue

Grand Theft Auto series

In no particular order.

Falcon 4

DCS Black Shark

Longbow 2

X3

IL-2

Silent Hunter 3

M1 Tank Platoon

Steel Fury

Oblivion

Rome:TW

Medieval: TW

Close Combat series

Rainbow Six

Operation Flashpoint

ArmA 2 <- even though release was premature imo. It's not all it could have been.

Personnaly I don't deny that first Half Life was one of the best gaming experience I ever had, but I've put here only games I'm nostalgic for and it's kind of hard to be nostalgic when you still play this game, its sequels and their mods, after 11 years. :)

There's something horribly over-rated about the Half Life series. It's without a doubt the best generic FPS out there, but that's all it is... a generic FPS. It has an amazing story line, amazing attention to detail, graphics that still look great after all those years, that cool physics engine... But there's nothing that really sets it out from all those other games other than it's quality. It would need to be something more to stand out... But there's nothing they could do to it that wouldn't ruin the game...

In no particular order

Contra(up up down down.....20years later it's still fresh in my mind, and probably yours)

Original Ghost Recon

Battlefield 1942

Command and Conquer(original)

There's something horribly over-rated about the Half Life series. It's without a doubt the best generic FPS out there, but that's all it is... a generic FPS. It has an amazing story line, amazing attention to detail, graphics that still look great after all those years, that cool physics engine... But there's nothing that really sets it out from all those other games other than it's quality. It would need to be something more to stand out... But there's nothing they could do to it that wouldn't ruin the game...

I think HL2 was worth the hype... the game was just perfect. I didn't find anything to complain about, except they're not releasing Episode III :D

I agree, but what I'm getting at is that people treat it like it's the best game that could ever be conceived of, when in fact there are plenty of games out there that offer much more immersive and entertaining gameplay. That's what I take issue with.

i think hl2 was worth the hype... The game was just perfect. I didn't find anything to complain about, except they're not releasing episode iii :d

what?

For Half Life (i am talking only about the 1st one, never having played the 2nd or being interested by it) what was great was as i said the premises, you are launched in some kind of underground base with everyone doing their own things, you doing the same, etc... basically it was living up to the name and for a corridor FPS this fact was plain awesome.

It was what sold the game to most customers.

Unfortunately once you get marines and monsters, the game went back at being mostly a generic FPS.

Though the marines AI was impressive for its time, with it taking cover, it launching grenades to your position when you were taking cover yourself, etc...

Doom in the opposite managed despite being the generic FPS by excellence to captivate me a lot more in its time (and beyond thanks to the doomsday engine that revived for me few years ago), oh the memories of trying to survive in the nightmare difficulty , it was plain insane :D

Edited by Sanctuary

I speak for myself, but the lacking thing in Half-Life series is soul. It was something that, for example, Deus Ex had in tons. There was no unique feeling playing Half-Life or at least I've never felt. The story was not really immersive and the characters where just like many other characters in other FPS with no distinguish features or psychological ordeals. I didn't played Half-Life 2, I'm speaking about the first.

Favorite games eh? That's no short list! :butbut:

Call of Duty 4

I really loved the feel of this game. Everything felt like a really good action/war-movie. Outstanding pacing all the way through. Not a dull moment to find. It's also one of the prettiest games out there right now.

Castle of Dr. Brain

A puzzle-game from the early 90's where you're supposed to solve all sorts of riddles and puzzles to get to Dr. Brain. How I got through this game at age 11-13 I have no idea. Game is hard even today. A lot of the math questions have my mind reeling like a Chuck Norris-victim.

Earth 2150

Oh god... that tech-tree is HUGE. Also, a pretty decent tunneling simulator :cool:

EF2000

It's probably the only flight combat simulator I've flown head 2 head with real fighter pilots. Awesome stuff.

Gizmos & Gadgets

This learning game from the mid 90's was probably one of my biggest sources of early English education (Police Quest and Larry too). Collect parts. Build things. Compete with the evil Doctor whatshispants.

Half-Life

Back when I first played Half-Life I could not get myself to play more than an hour at a time due to it's intensity. And those silo worms. Oh god... bricks were indeed shat.

Homeworld

Brilliant. Epic. Mindblowing. The best RTS I have played. I can not recall any other RTS to have moved me in so many ways this game did...

Homeworld: Cataclysm

... except for perhaps this one. Which had horrible moments, like when the lower sections of your ship is infected, and you're forced to eject it to save the ship. Sacrificing the crew-members in that area. Listening to their screams as the life-form devour them, floating off into space.

Independence War

Nuff said. emot-clint.gif

Independence War: Defiance

Playing the story of I-War from the other side of the fence. Just as good, and even at times, better than the original.

Mount & Blade

How can commanding huge armies in 1st person view NOT be an awesome thing? (Yes, I 'm using a battle size mod.) Nords 4 lyfe! :shoot:

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

Awesome concept. Cheesy voice acting. BRILLIANT GAMEPLAY! First time I tried it, I found combat to be a bit on the slow side, but having bought the game on Steam recently, I retried it, and figured that someone at the studio making the game has gone forward in time to steal all my ideas for my perfect space game.

Police Quest

This game is how I taught myself how to spell 'coffee' emot-eng101.gif

Star Wars: Rebellion (or Supremacy)

Conquering the Star Wars-galaxy one planet at a time.

My favorite strategy as Rebel Alliance was to use diplomacy. First, I let the Imperials conquer planets like mad dogs. Then I'd tease them into attacking a Rebel planet where I have high standings... then I'd liberate it with saboteurs. The domino-effect across the system would be in my favor, to say the least. Then I'd move on to the Imperial occupied planet where most people support the Alliance. Rinse. Repeat.

Star Wars: X-Wing

I broke a mouse or two playing this game. Fun fun times.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Stabbing people in the neck with a shiv never was this much fun... it's just a shame that the latter part of the game turned into a shoot-fest.

Total Annihilation

Shockingly good RTS for its time. Graphics were stellar, and the fact that units didn't collide all the time blew my mind! "Whoa... those boats are actually trying to avoid each other instead of overlapping like little bitches." I'm looking at YOU, Red Alert.

Favorite Tactical FPS

Operation Flashpoint

Armed Assault

ArmA II (Soon to be once I get it)

Rainbow Six (N64)

Favorite Adventure/RPG

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Favorite Strategy

Total Annihilation

Supreme Commander

Favorite regular FPS

Delta Force 2

Delta Force Blackhawk Down

Halo 1-3

GoldenEye

Perfect Dark

Favorite Flight

Ace Combat 6

Favorite Race

Burnout Paradise

Burnout: Takedown

Special Mention Best Story

BioShock (Only because the story was awesome; wasn't a big fan of the gameplay)

Too many games really :D

I'll list the games more or less chronologically (hell if I can remember all :D)

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Super Mario Bros. 1-3

Zelda 2

HoMM 1-3

Terranigma

Duke Nukem 3D

Shadow Warrior

Civ 2

Fallout 1-3

Baldur's Gate 1 + TotSC

JA 2

Half-Life 1

SWAT 3

Jedi Knight 1

UT + Tactical Ops

Deus Ex 1

GTA 1-4

Hitman 1-4

OFP

Gothic 1-3

Max Payne 1

Vietcong 1

ArmA

STALKER

Edited by Andi

Star Wars: X-Wing

I broke a mouse or two playing this game. Fun fun times.

In the early 1990s, X-Wing is the game that got me interested in computer gaming. I broke a Thrustmaster FCS joystick while flying a Y-Wing in one of the missions.

I speak for myself, but the lacking thing in Half-Life series is soul. It was something that, for example, Deus Ex had in tons. There was no unique feeling playing Half-Life or at least I've never felt. The story was not really immersive and the characters where just like many other characters in other FPS with no distinguish features or psychological ordeals. I didn't played Half-Life 2, I'm speaking about the first.

I think this differs from person to person, since I loved the story and the whole atmosphere and I highly anticipate the third part, want to know how the whole thing continous!

Baldur's Gate 1 + TotSC

Ah, somebody with a good taste :D

But only the first BG ?

Call of Duty 4 - one of the best singleplayer campaigns I've ever played. It may have been arcady, but the plot was plausible enough and I loved the attention to detail in All Ghillied Up and One Shot One Kill. Best soundtrack ever created for a video game.

Jane's USAF - variety of airplanes to fly, variety of ordnance to use and a fairly accurate simulation of standard USAF avionics. As the flight instructor so aptly put it while training for a night mission at Nellis AFB: "Now put on the night vision goggles...there, doesn't the desert look green at night?"

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl - didn't have the same atmosphere that CoD 4's rendition of Chernobyl had, but still a brilliant game when you consider its somewhat open maps and concept.

ArmA 2 - I've only played the demo, but it is by far the best first person shooter I've ever played. Even the demo has more features and content to use than complete CoD 4. The immersion is incredible, especially when you are ducking behind a brick wall, being suppressed by a PKM.

Lock On: Modern Air Combat and DCS Black Shark - the best modern renditions of present day air combat. A fairly large selection of airplanes considering the depth (Lock On) and complete realism (Black Shark).

Ah, somebody with a good taste :D

But only the first BG ?

Yeah, BG2 could never score with me. It just seemed too uber and stuff. And I didn't like the setting. ToB was like medieval DragonballZ... :D

In chronological order (I think) the games I spent the most time playing and enjoying:

• Elite - (on my mate's BBC model B - I couldn't afford one) the dawn of pseudo 3d vector graphics
  • Gunship - (cassette on the C64 45 mins loading time per mission) first combat flight sim
  • Dungeon Master - (on the Atari ST) utterly addictive role-playing for it's time
  • Quake - Voodoo 1 goodness and the dawn of 3d acceleration (and up and down in FPS)
  • Privateer - the best attempt at really following on from Elite in years (right up until the storyline ended)
  • EF2000 - first real working internet multiplayer experience (and awesome graphics in 3d accelerated version)
  • Deux Ex - great storyline and decent attempt at offering different endings
  • Falcon 4 - will anything ever come close to the impact this has had on combat flight-simming?
  • OFP - captivating and just so different from everything that came before it (especially with stereo specs)

Nothing since has really captivated me in the same way. Multiplayer experience is no substitute for a really well crafted campaign.

P

Operation Flashpoint + Resistance (... Red Hammer is not invited)

This game really made me fear for the life of my virtual avatar. It was just that good. And Resistance? How can ambushing Russians and stealing their gear NOT be awesome?

Edited by Mindwalker

Yeah, BG2 could never score with me. It just seemed too uber and stuff. And I didn't like the setting. ToB was like medieval DragonballZ... :D

Well, it's D&D Forgotten Realms setting after all :D

I gotta agree that in ToB you were practically a demi-god near the end but then, I liked it because it properly ended that bhaalspawn saga.

But hell, the interjections, banters, romances, NPCs, soundtrack and story were a movie quality in BG2 :)

EDIT: methinks I sound a bit like a nerd after writing all this stuff :lookaround:

Edited by Salvatore_Lee