Sign in to follow this  
Kabolte

Spawning a patrol upon entering an area

I'm making a free roam map, and I want to create a patrol when I enter an area. Right now I have a trigger and one unit but I can't figure out how to make the unit spawn when I enter the trigger. I'm an independent guerrilla and I have the trigger set to independent present. What do I need to put in the Activation field and the condition of presence for the patrol unit?

1. place an enemy unit on the map and set it's probability of existance to 0 (this is used to setup an enemy "HQ" which is necessary for groups to be created.

2. place the functions module anywhere on the map, no need to sync it to the player or anything else.

3. put gamelogic unit on the map which will act as a spawn location for the enemy. give it a name eg troops.

4. in the on activation field of your trigger, use the spawn group function:

[<position>,<side>,<number of units>] call bis_fnc_spawngroup;

so if you want 30 east dudes to spawn, you'd write:

[(getpos troops),east,30] call bis_fnc_spawngroup;

enjoy

Cool, thanks!

edit: How can I delete them?

Edited by Kabolte

the spawning function returns the group, so if you do something like this on spawn:

dudes = [(getpos troops),east,30] call bis_fnc_spawngroup;

you have created a group called dude. To delete them use

deletegroup dudes;

Gents, I want to spawn not just infantry but also Armour and maybe Air assets using this, is it possible and if so how? Please

Also, once they are spawned I want them to move around, ie follow waypoints. Is there a way to do this also?

Thanks

Dale

This is from a thread that has help me understand how to spawn units and create waypoints: This code creates a usmc ahiz (with pilots) to search and destroy around the player

GroupAlpha1 = CreateGroup West;
Helo1 = createVehicle ["AH1Z", [(getMarkerPos "Startingpoint") select 0,(getMarkerPos "Startingpoint") select 1,100], [], 0, "FLY"];
HeliPilot1 = GroupAlpha1 createUnit ["USMC_Soldier_Pilot", [0,0,1], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
HeliPilot1 moveInDriver Helo1;
HeliPilot2 = GroupAlpha1 createUnit ["USMC_Soldier_Pilot", [0,0,2], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
HeliPilot2 moveIncargo Helo1;
wp12 = GroupAlpha1 addwaypoint [position player, 0];
wp12 setwaypointtype "SAD";

Change parts of the code to fit whatever you want.

GroupAlpha1 is the group name you're creating

Helo1 is the name of the created ah1z

Startingpoint is the name of a marker you have to place

helipilot1 is the name of the pilot

"USMC_Soldier_Pilot" change this for whatever unit you want spawned

"AH1Z" change for different vehicles

[0,0,1] I think this is the units position in the group.

With waypoints you can change "player" for the name of a object or marker. I'm guessing you can use a grid referance too. I'll have to try that.

These are the names of different waypoint types

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setWaypointType

And check out the sticky for classnames so you can have whatever you need spawn.

You can also use commands like

unitname moveinCargo [vehiclename, 2];

This spawns a unit in the back of a vehicle. 2 is the position in the vehicle. 0 is the driving position

or

Unitname moveinGunner [vehiclename, 1]

Adds a gunner

unitname setunitrank Lieutenant;

To change the units rank

And it goes on and on...

What about for setting their skill? If you spawn serveral groups at the same time, will something like

Group1 SetSkill 0.1

still work? Wouldn't that only count for the first spawned group? Their skill seems to be maxed.

And what about a way to make all enemy units move for the player location at all times?

Edited by Apocca

Bump. Still can't get it working. Their skill is far too high. They target and kill in less than a second from 400m distance, with almost 100% accuracy :mad:

Question:

How could i make the spawned patrol to be deleted after a couple minutes they have been killed?

This is driving me nuts. All enemies with 1.0 skill is ridiculous! How do i add skill to the spawn code??? Can't do any progress in my mission until this is fixed.

Hmm try something like

{setSkill 0.1} forEach units yourgroup;

Not sure if that will work or not, as I'm not the most experienced scripter, but just play around with that.

I came accross this thread while searching, just in case anyone is still looking for the answer you can use "{_x setSkill 0.5} foreach units groupname;"

I'm not 100% on this, but i'm not getting any RPT errors so I guess it works...

Dave

Bumping this thread a bit. The "deleteGroup" doesnt seem to work. I name it and try to delete it on a trigger, but wont get it to work somehow :S Any clues?

Trigger1:

hint "You have been detected, take cover!"; troops1 = [(getpos troopSpawn1),east,1] call bis_fnc_spawngroup;

Trigger2:

deleteGroup troops1; hint "You are no longer detected!"
Edited by Doggolainen

I tried executing the createUnit/Vehicle script from a trigger.

Nothing happened at all. Odd.

No matter what "createUnit" style of code I use, no units are ever created in the editor.