Sign in to follow this  
{bdr}*nemesi*

Spacebar scanning

Hi all

I wonder if there is any possibility to disable the "spacebar scanning" on servers (that is looking for enemy targets by spacebar pressing, it will locate the target, target distance and target identification)

We set the class difficulties on veteran but I cannot see any voice in the server configuration to disable this feature

As Arma II is a military simulator and rely on situational awareness, I personally think the possibility of "spacebar scanning" ruins the multiplayer experience

What you think about? Thanks for help (hope in any case this can be fixed)

See you all in battles and have fun!

{BDR}Nemesi

If it only stretches to scanning friendlies I think it's all fair. IRL we have much more to go on to recognize an individual (posture, size, gear specifics, behaviour and movement, better ability to spot details) than we do in ArmA, so to actually see WHO it is, is a very welcome feature.

Without the game available at the moment I can't really see how it can be configured though, but at least I can give my view on it ^^

You need an addon for that.

I think certain allowances need to be made in in gaming, regardless of how 'realistic' the intention.

I see a lot of people complain about things, 'ruining the immersion' or giving unrealistic advantages.

Fact is, certain features have been implemented to compensate for the diminished human senses; Spacial awareness, touch and as a previous poster said, human recognision.

I played last night on a public server (I only have time for public at the moment) with Veteran difficulty. A lot of fun, however not being able to see who you were fighting alongside felt very alienating, esspecially trying to work out if someone is talking to you.

The ingame dialoge 'Greeting' is often the only way to find out who your neighbours are, at which point the spamming, pushes any extra 'Important' text off screen out of the text box.

and as an asside; Direct comm chat doesn't appear mid-screen anymore, so the attention isn't grabbed so well.

My point is the more ways to communicate and ID your team mates the better regardless of what some consider 'realistic'.

Hi Kju! (if you are the same Kju I met in ECL, wondering that..) Is there an addon right now in your knowledge? or do u know any WIP? I would be really interested

@Inkompetent, I see your view but what I'm asking is the way to disable this feature in vet config, as we can do with others (crosshair, tracers, friendly/enemy tags, and so on ..)

And the bad thing is that it will spot friendly AND enemy positions with a full identification (I mean class of soldier/vehicle and distance) and that is really bad for vet config IMHO

Edit: the same for Electricleash, what I'm asking is the way to enable/disable thisd feature as a choice

And yes I agree with you about the chat, is difficult to identify which channel are u using because is covered by the chat itself

This maybe a minor point with respect to others but I hope the choice of channels to appear in mid screen again

Edited by {BDR}*Nemesi*

I agree, for example if your being shot at from a tree line some distance away its easy to figure out the exact position of the person firing by simple pressing space and scanning the tree line til you see red. What you should be doing is looking for their muzzle flash.

I agree that the spotting shouldn't work at longer ranges, and definitely not for enemies. Maybe 20m distance or so is enough, just so one can ID the individuals. Any more than that for any difficulty setting is too much in my eyes.

If there ain't an addon (or good script) out at the moment I sure hope there'll soon be.

Hi all

I agree the ability to turn off spacebar scanning in MP on veteran servers and in SP veteran is needed.

Kind Regards walker

If it is turned off for realism then snipers need a range finding option like they would have in real life

If it is turned off for realism then snipers need a range finding option like they would have in real life

Hi Overwatch

Laser Range finder is already in game.

Kind Regards walker

And yes I agree with you about the chat, is difficult to identify which channel are u using because is covered by the chat itself

This maybe a minor point with respect to others but I hope the choice of channels to appear in mid screen again

I don't think that's what he meant. The channels as you type should come up in mid screen. I've seen it covered by chat once but it fixed itself. I think you have a bug, unless I misunderstand you.

really? I see the channel choice covered by chat and wonder if this can be fixed, not esy to select the right channel

I also think that difficulty settings should affect the effectiveness of the spacebar selector.

No addon yet for A2. Probably will do it this week.

Does it work in A2 as well if every unit is an single group?

For infantry, it's usefull to keep it on to identify friends on the battlefield, its easier to follow your group leader, and the ordered formation.

But it would be reserved for seeing friends only, and also we think that distance must be reduced.

for infantry.

BIS should ear us and propose settings modification (or on servers settings), it's an important subject for teams playing realistic mode as OFCRA.

Edited by LOulOo

+1 to get rid of using the spacebar to ident enemy contacts... especially when they are like 1.5km away, behind a mountain and several built up areas.

L8r,

eem

For infantry, it's usefull to keep it on to identify friends on the battlefield, its easier to follow your group leader, and the ordered formation.

But it would be reserved for seeing friends only, and also we think that distance must be reduced.

for infantry.

BIS should ear us and propose settings modification (or on servers settings), it's an important subject for teams playing realistic mode as OFCRA.

BIS don't answer ? :rolleyes:

BIS don't answer ? :rolleyes:

Ils repondent pas à toutes les demandes sur tous les forums non plus, hein! ;)

Sorry for my bad english...

Found a solution :)

I made a little script: when the player press one of his commandMenu key(space), an image is shown to hide the center of the screen, when he press the "menuBack" key (backspace), the image disappear.

Key list of "forceCommandingMode" and "menuBack" are updated every 2 seconds.

That's not perfect, but it works...:yay:

Here a demo mission:

http://team-bac.net/bac/JOUEURS%20BAC/Le_CuLtO/missions/antiCheat.Chernarus.7z

Edited by Le_CuLtO

nice tweak :)

From my own experiments in the editor I'm pretty sure visability to the spacebar circle is directly related to the unit having been "revealed" to your group regardless of line of sight.

Try this in the editor:

Line of Sight:

- set autoreport to off (to ensure no automatic reveal)

- bind reveal to another key so you don't reveal accidentally

- place yourself at one end of utes runway

- place an enemy unit at the other end

- check with binoc's or scope that you do see him

- spacebar scan the other end (make sure you dont press reveal key)

result - no target in the spacebar circle

- now reveal the target with the reveal key

result - target now show by the spacebar circle

Non Line of Sight:

- place another unit out of your line of sight, say behind a hill and name the unit, say fred

- create a radio trigger with : group player reveal fred;

- don't activate the radio trigger yet

- spacebar scan the hill fred is hiding behind

result - no target

- trigger the radio

- spacebar scan the hill

result - fred now shown by spacebar scan, though this information will time out after a while (this the same effect as another group member seeing and reporting a unit to which you have no line of sight)

I agree, it's really stupid, you can spot so much easier with it, I know it doesn't work all the time but honestly, some times it's ridiculous how easy it is to spot someone, it's not precise but you know what direction, rough indication of range, and type.

I dont know what you guys are talking about. When I hit the spacebar, the menu on the left comes up. Someone fill me in please

I dont know what you guys are talking about. When I hit the spacebar, the menu on the left comes up. Someone fill me in please

Hold the spacebar down... you can scan an area and all is revealed...literally... :)

I'll use this a lot of times to gauge the range to target... my weapon of choice is "zero'd" at 300m so it helps to determine if I need to alter my aim a little based on range...

L8r,

eem

Edited by EEM