Sign in to follow this  
{bdr}*nemesi*

Spacebar scanning

Aye it's a nice replacement for the laser rangefinder we don't have(without community addons), but frankly I feel like cheating every time I press space.

ZAP, identity, type and range are all there. With little effort one could probably write a scripts that automatically sets your sights to the "space range" :)

I only learned about this feature the other day in an online game on a public server. I communicated with my regular group via our own Teamspeak but there was no communication with the other players on the server. (I just can't concentrate on typing mesages while I'm playing.)There were many players and I was afraid I might accidently kill one of my own guys. I was told to press the Spacebar to identify everyone in sight. I used it a lot, but it felt like cheating. But if it works as MarkB explained, it should be OK to use it.

This control is not OK. It is likely to activate FADE, cause framerate issues, make you feel like a cheater and increase latency. Bind Spacebar to "diary", much better use of a key.

Edited by krizzo

Arma2 is my first visit to this kind of soldier sim game and I'm really enjoying the evenings Ive spent on kellys heroes and silent warriors so far.... but this topic is worrying me....

Sometimes there are soldiers, who are on my side, but they don't have a box over them to highlight them and they also dont appear on my map. At all. Even if I'm looking right at them. Other soldiers in the same game do but not all.

What's going on here, and how do I decide whether to shoot or not if I can not use the space bar to check? On a PC screen at 500m one gun toting silloette in the grass looks pretty much like any other. If everyone on your team always shows up on the map then you know everyones position and you can cross reference to see roughly where your team is, but if they DONT all show up on the map how on earth do you remain situationally aware? Unless people constantly radio in their positions then theres no way to know where are?

Edited by cr0wn3r

Im not sure if that's right? I was on KH last night and cross hairs were turned off, but the space bar thing was still working.

this can be remedied by having the server admin turn off crossshairs tbh..whats all of this moaning im hearing? lmao

No I have the crosshair off

Anyone at BIS can give a comment here?

I see Le_CuLtO solution, nice tweak, but still a tweak

How we can think about serious competitions with that scanning enabled?

@cr0wn3r

how do I decide whether to shoot or not if I can not use the space bar to check? On a PC screen at 500m one gun toting silloette in the grass looks pretty much like any other. ..

like in real too, that's why arma2 is a sim not just a shooter

Just bumping this up since I think it's a key factor to be fixed in MP.

Kju, you got any news on your addon mate? :)

Well the scripted solution does the job just fine or not?

Addon is tricky for public play and even in general not simple to enforce for all.

FWIW, my scriptpack disables this through scripting though I agree it would be far nicer to have a proper solution built into the game.

Hi Overwatch

Laser Range finder is already in game.

Kind Regards walker

No, no it isn't. There is no handheld laser rangefinder for infantry units in basic ArmA 2. You're SOL unless you're using an eastern rifle with the rangefinder diagram on the scope, and that's not even all that accurate since the scale doesn't seem to be perfect. US units with mildot scopes have no way of determining a target's range aside from the aforementioned spacebar method.

Please do some research before spouting off crap like this.

US units with mildot scopes have no way of determining a target's range aside from the aforementioned spacebar method.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. Mil-dot reticles are designed for range finding using the formula "(size of target / number of mil of dots) * 1000 = distance" you stupid fuck. If the target is 3 mils high in the scope and is 1.8m tall, (1.8/3) * 1000 = 600. The distance to the target is 600m, did you understand that stupid fuck? I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel. Duh.

Edited by Mudkip

Hehe... Any comments from the same poster on how the stock mildot reticles aren't in scale? Kind of makes rangefinding with them a bit harder :)

How do you know how tall the guy you want to shoot is from 600 meters? Just guessing? I really would not be able to tell if someone is 1.8 meters or 1.6 meters high from 600 meters distance.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. Mil-dot reticles are designed for range finding using the formula "(size of target / number of mil of dots) * 1000 = distance" you stupid fuck. If the target is 3 mils high in the scope and is 1.8m tall, (1.8/3) * 1000 = 600. The distance to the target is 600m, did you understand that stupid fuck? I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel. Duh.

Yes, and the mildot scaling is off even further than the PSO-1, so it's literally pointless to use for rangefinding. Try using the mildot on the M21 to find range. The variable zoom completely breaks it because neither the stock zoom or max zoom mildot is scaled for the magnification. This is an issue with all of the mildot scopes in the game, but it's especially obvious at max zoom on the M21. Therefore, the only purpose the mildot scopes in ArmA have is to serve as Western versions of the multiple chevrons on the PSO-1. Aside from the mildot graphic being to incorrect scale, the units and objects in-game are not to millimeter precision, so even if the scope's scaling issues were solved, everything else in the game would have to be redone for a system as precise as the mildot to operate properly. Theoretically you could redesign the mildot's graphic to be to scale to the game, however this would likely require a significant time investment, and this would still be a third-party solution.

It also still doesn't change the fact that there is no laser rangefinder either, which was why the OP was so incredibly idiotic in the first place.

Edited by zOMGREI

Has anyone come up with a script or addon yet to disable space-bar scanning. It ruins the immersion in AI-disabled co-op play. We don't want people to be able to tag the location or distance of ANY unit.

See the script-pack in my sig. It disables space-bar scanning adn can be used for co-op.

I have integrated it into CB AAS Missions.

Xeno and SBS Mac have it inbuilt in their missions too.

An addon is double, yet how do you want to enforce it that way?

What's the best method of having most of the HUD off (including crosshair), but still having spacebar scanning for friendlies at close ranges?

ASR Disable Cursor Text addon by Robalo [AS].

Plus an addon to make a custom friendly unit display, like SPON recognize.

Someone ported it to a2. You find it at OFPEC.

You can disable the space bar scanning without addons:

put this line into the init.sqf:

player disableConversation true;

it completely disable the space bar scanning but you cannot give orders to AI...

You can disable the space bar scanning without addons:

put this line into the init.sqf:

player disableConversation true;

it completely disable the space bar scanning but you cannot give orders to AI...

I was wondering why my missions didn't have quick command even though they didn't use those scripts... nice find! :)

Neat. It works. Thanks for sharing!