Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Missing xAudio2 file(s) & sound issues

This issue, afaik, has existed since OFP. I thought it was just my machines!

This is a guess of how it appears to work internally, when buggered: The volume sliders appear to be 'ratios' instead of actual volume controls. Unless both are at 0, they always equal 100%. To control the actual volume, you have to use the windows slider. Example, if both are set to the same setting, the volume is equal.. guns and voice are the same volume. It does not matter if they are BOTH at 25% or 75%, the final volume will be the same. However, if you lower one slider, that one will be quieter in relation to the unlowered one, and therefore quieter in the final volume.

In other words, the highest set slider is always 100% of the FINAL volume.

Weird huh? Thats just my observation, could be wrong but it seems like thats how it works. It must be triggered by something but I don't know what. I don't have the issue with ArmA2 yet, the sliders work as they should. But I am familiar with your problem from OFP. Sorry this doesn't help much but you can control the sounds from an app separately in Windows Vista and 7

I understand what you say, but that's not it, as the sliders DO work. When I max them out, sound is MEGA loud, and in windows, sliders is in HALF position.

Any changes on that level will bugger up ventrilo anyway as you'd need to configure everything there again, just for 1 game. While ALL other games do it perfectly fine.

It's a bug, and can be solved easily if they wanted too.

And my headset has a separate volume btw, and it's on very low even ... so ... no go. Even with sliders in windows on low, which like I said, fucks up all the config ppl have taken a long time to get right in Ventrilo and all other games.

Edited by RedruM-X

Yeah, could be. But now I've solved the problem and I think it has something to do with Win7's sound device definitions. Take a look.

This solution helped me out:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1399212&postcount=6

i have vista . and i heard the same shitty sound fade out and becoming choatique noise from hell. not win7 related. it BI code related. 1.02 never did that on my computer.

I’ve got Realtek 5.1, version 2.28 on stereo mode for headphones. The distortion in version 1.3 has made the game completely unplayable. I attempted the hint on this first page about not having sounds higher than default (50%) but sounds still distort and this also makes the game very boring because of the low sound levels. I’ve had to make Teamspeak volume 10% in windows and crank up my master volume to be able to get a decent balance between VOIP the game, but then the distortion still cuts in.

This begs the question, if the sound wasn’t broken in v1.02, then why try and fix it?

Do we know for sure the reinstall to v1.02 fixes the problem?

i have vista . and i heard the same shitty sound fade out and becoming choatique noise from hell. not win7 related. it BI code related. 1.02 never did that on my computer.

You could try this solution under Vista, too, cause it's nearly the same sound device management. It may be that Arma2 needs some fixes to avoid the problems with it. I've had the sound problems before 1.02, too, so it could be that the new patch 1.03 sound issues aren't related to my problem. But you could at least try the solution out. You'll never know ;)

I downloaded the demo last night and installed this morning.. got the error about the missing .dll file. I downloaded the directx file that was mentioned, reinstalled the demo that was suggested no luck. I did not download through steam, just so everyone is aware, so when i went to install the directx file i tried both ways :c/windows/system32/directx and through the demo files.. no luck and is still getting the error message.. any ideas?

Read the first post, download the DirectX Runtime Installer and install it, don't just copy files

Edited by TonyGrunt

i have read the first post.. i read it a few times. I installed the DX9 update and it asked me where i want to install it i did for those two places. i never updated DX that way before so it was a little confusing. im not trying to be a pain but if i could have better detailed instruction, like other people i would like to try the demo before i decide to but it too haha :386:

The runtime is a self extracting zipped file, it asks where you want to temporary extract it.

You must then go to this directory and run dxsetup.exe, thats what installs the DirectX.

After installation you can delete the extracted files

disable sorround sound.... i run the game in stereo in multiplayer ells the sound is sounding like a chainsaw..... in singleplayer the sound work in sorround

i got some sound distortion last night for the first time. I realized that maybe after i installed PES09, the installation installed some direct x files and overwrote my previous up to date directx files. Will try the link posted in the first page tonight.

You could try this solution under Vista, too, cause it's nearly the same sound device management. It may be that Arma2 needs some fixes to avoid the problems with it. I've had the sound problems before 1.02, too, so it could be that the new patch 1.03 sound issues aren't related to my problem. But you could at least try the solution out. You'll never know ;)

Lead, I believe the problems are in 1.03 itself. There may be two separate unrelated problems that lead to distortion. One, which has a workaround, is the default voice/communication issue. And the other is, no idea because I didn't experience it yet.

But I encourage people to try the testing app I compiled here, it tests if your XAudio2 is functioning correctly. (works for both stereo and surround, makes sure your directx is working otherwise it wont run) Its from the DirectX SDK, a sample application from it. You can read about my issue here (concerning surround sound)

And for DirectX, you can also use DXSetup from microsoft, which will download the correct files for you.

i got some sound distortion last night for the first time. I realized that maybe after i installed PES09, the installation installed some direct x files and overwrote my previous up to date directx files. Will try the link posted in the first page tonight.

ok, my directx files are fine, just did the dx download and it says my version is up to date.

I have the Creative Audigy 2 ZS and have experienced the *snap* crackle* *pop* ingame as well. All drivers are up to date and sound has been reduced to default. I have noticed that the sound distortions are actually worse since patch 1.03. Very frustrating. Any other Creative Audigy 2 ZS users that have been able to fix this issue?

With Vista 64bit, X-fi Xtreme Audio (with latest drivers) and HD 4980 - I had bad distortion and sometimes I couldnt hear anything. Problem was ATI Catalyst driver 9.7 (also in 9.8) which installed HDMI audio driver. After disabling it (from control panel-> device manager -> sound) all works great again. Note that it isnt enought when it says its not connect - you have to disable it so you cant see it on the list. And you have to do it again everytime you install ATI Catalyst driver.

This a copy of a rant I made on Rage3D...

"Ugh, I give up... I suppose I have to follow the "if you cant fix it, leave it broken" line.

My final result as follows.

FACT:

1.01 did not make noise and click on weapon audio ending

1.025 was the same as 1.01, perfectly fine

1.03 make horrible noise and clicking

- Reinstalled the game

- Installed 1.03 fresh over it

= No difference whatsoever, still noise and clicking.

- Installed latest DX

- Installed latest Auzentech Forte drivers

= No difference whatsoever, still noise and clicking.

- Changed volume levels

= Noise and clicking remains just the same. I forgot what I was supposed to be expecting when doing this.

- Turn off X-fi Crystalizer

- Turn off X-fi CMSS

(SVM is never on)

= Not only does it still make noises and clicking, the actual good sounds now sound weak.

What I noticed ingame:

- It DOES NOT make noise and click when using a single fire short audio file (such as the M16/M4).

- It DOES NOT make noise and click when firing such weapon fairly slowly

- It DOES make noise and click when firing the such weapon at full auto or nearly as fast in semi auto.

- A weapon with a long weapons fire audio such as the leaf covered sniper rifle make noise and click.

FACT REMAINS:

1.03 f**ked up the audio.

So I guess I can still play it, I just have to use a single fire slow firing weapon that is not a sniper rifle or anything that use long audio files and stay away from anything and anyone firing full auto.

Yeah I just wasted 1 hour and 45 minutes of my life on this, I know I'm a retard"

Edit: Oh and to add, the actual sound files sound GREAT with zero clicking or noise distortion. I just went through every M16 audio there is in the game. So why cant the game make them sound just as great, wtf does full auto do to introduce noise and clicking? :(

Edited by Murklor

Well that's all good but it means little until you tell us when to expect such a patch ;)

HINT: TO prevent SOUND distortions please try disable X-Fi CMSS-3D/SVM !

I am running an X-Fi ExtremeGamer.

Have disabled both CMSS-3D and SVM but am curious about EAX Effects.

Enable or disable ??

I have enabled and notice no difference between "on" or "off" but curious as to what others are experiencing ( if anything ).

Of course the fact that I notice no difference could be a function of old age as my hearing depletes over time !!

cheers

Edited by bagman

Got a quiet but annyoing cracking sound after firing a full-automatic rifle.

Known issue ? CMSS and SVM are off.

Only happens when firing more then one shot.

I read some posts and it's the same issue he has:

hello,i have a sound blaster x-fi gamer card with up to date drivers, running windows vista 64 with all up to date drivers and bios, and my retail copy is patched up to date. now when i fire my machine gun the game runs though its normal sound of the gun firing with subsonic sounds,cracks and stuff but when its done with the sound it gives off a 5 sec low tone beep then stops till you fire again. it does not do it in single fire mode as far as i can tell and it does it with some things and not with some. i have turned on and off settings and raised and lowed with out any change other then it being softer and louder. i am using head phones but i dont think that is the problem. i could sure use a fix to the problem.

But disabling Crystalizer doesnt change anything for me, still cracking sound some seconds after firing =/

Problem also appears with semi-automatic weapons like M16 when fired fast enough (like 5 shots / 2 salvoes per second)

Where can I see what codecs are installed ? You guys were talking about fddshow or something like that.

UPDATE: New beta Patch solved the Problem for me =)

Edited by Cionara

UPDATE: New beta Patch solved the Problem for me =)

Which beta patch is that? I can see no new beta patch for either my creative x-fi or the arma 2 game.

Using just a stereo setup: I don't really get any notable crackling issues with the game, but what I DO get is a seeming inability to hear anything beyond about 200 meters. From gunshots to vehicles, helis to aircraft, I simply can't hear a bloody thing if they're beyond that range (once or twice my own weapon didn't make any sound also, but that's rare). It makes for an irksome MP experience because I have minimal situational awareness (had a tank roll up to within 50 meters before I heard his engine last night).

I don't have my hardware specs right in front of me currently, or I'd post those.

"disable surround sound"

I am going to order a new Medusa 5.1 headset and mic soon, FOR 5.1 gaming. I really hope BIS fixes the sound issues with ARMA 2.

Murklor, just to confirm your final statement. For me it was easy decision: since I have installed 1.03 patch, this "effect" :-) occured. Maybe just to wait for 1.04 I suggest, they said they are already working on it :-))).

I tried this, unfortunately it didn't work... I installed it in the proper place, twice. Still, success has eluded me.