Sign in to follow this  
Gen. Lee Outrageous

aircraft need improvement

--aircraft instrumentation is pretty terrible.

the ones that have attitude indicators on the instrument panel

(http://www.sgsim.com/instruments/DSCN7662-Attitude-Indicator-300.jpg)

have things missing such as the horizontal reference to let you know when you are flying straight and level, some dont even indicate roll!

--Heads up displays missing, too fuzzy, and some giving no relevant info.

operation flashpoint had better heads up displays. this is what a HUD should look like http://tinyurl.com/kmbw7z

--fixed wing aircraft should follow mean sea level altitudes instead of AGL. default altitude should also be increased for all fixed wing aircraft.

AI aircraft trying to follow AGL altitudes causes them to roller coaster and often crash. changing them to follow MSL (altitude above sea level) and increasing the default altitude would be a tremendous improvement. AGL altitudes should only be used for terrain minimum clearance.

another thing to note is that displaying AGL altitudes in a fast moving fixed wing aircraft is essentially useless as a primary altitude source. if you are flying low enough to warrant using this info you should be looking outside at all times anyway.

my apologies if any of this has been posted already.

Have you noticed that speed, altitude, etc are displayed in the engine status area for the F-35B? Those are the kinda gauges that display fuel flow, turbine speeds, oil pressure etc.

The F-35 should also have a "Magic floating" HUD since it's normally displayed through the helmet.

It would be nice for jet aircraft to have speed in knots and not km/h.

Have you noticed that speed, altitude, etc are displayed in the engine status area for the F-35B? Those are the kinda gauges that display fuel flow, turbine speeds, oil pressure etc.

The F-35 should also have a "Magic floating" HUD since it's normally displayed through the helmet.

It would be nice for jet aircraft to have speed in knots and not km/h.

yes i have, but i would much prefer a crisp clear HUD like the helmet displayed one that it has in real life. and in regards to the speed display i totally agree, an option for knots or MPH would be wonderful.

Miles per hour would hardly be accurate to use at all but knots would be nice. I think maybe the MH-6 little bird has a mph airspeed indicator in it but nothing newer.

I also don't like how Aimpoint and HUD glass surfaces give reflections. These are very expensive optics with anti-reflection coatings not the glass out of your bathroom window.

Some of the aircraft need improvement in their performance too. The A10 is absolutely terrible atm, its like flying a rock.

F-35 is a blast though.

The HUDs in all aircraft should be more prominent, at least from the footage I have seen.

I do believe that the US aircraft display speed in knots and the Russian aircraft display speed in km/h in ArmA 2, just as in real life. The only problem is, the HUD is so dim, that you rely on the indicator at the top left of the screen, which only displays speed in km/h, and altitude in meters.

I'm not sure that displaying ASL would be better than AGL. The map is too small to warrant ASL, and therefore you aren't cruising for kilometers at 5000ft for economy.