Sign in to follow this  
TheHarvesteR

Autothrottle?

Hello,

I noticed that the throttle in fixed wing aircraft behaves more like a speed hold setting than an actual throttle control... I was hoping there would be an option to disable this in this iteration of the game, but I didn't find any...

What I wanted to know is if there is a way to disable this autothrottle in airplanes, and have normal throttle input, like any other flight simulator... (Also, a button for the airbrakes would be a nice addition)

I loved ArmA 2, the whole game is simply awesome... but this was one aspect I was hoping would change ever since OFP

Cheers

Nope. Accelerate, decelerate, neither.

Hint, Hint BIS!!! This should have been standard in the game! Don't dump it onto modders to fix!

I posted this elsewhere, but I think this is the more proper thread to bring it up. Throttle as of now is either on or off. I'd love to see a more analog throttle made for actual sticks. Many other games recognize joystick throttles as analog inputs while retaining on/off for keyboards.

You are right about this, I noticed it too. Say you're flying at 250 units (what is their speed units??? I can't tell if its knots or KPH or something), if you pull a high g turn your speed will bleed like crazy but you should hear the throttle up sound and the game should return you to 250 units whenever you level out.

Autothottle combined with autorudder really seems like they dumbed down aircraft flight for the Xbox 360, which is funny cause Ace Combat 6 has full rudder control and analogue throttle and it's easy to play. Even in Ace Combat 6 if you really can't handle normal airplane controls they have a "novice" mode where basically you point the stick in the direction you want to fly. (If you push the thumbstick left the plane will automatically turn and use rudder to fly left)

Man even Hawx had this stupid model of "push stick where you want to go" when you were in unrestricted mode or whatever. Please let Arma 2 have a decent flight model.

I'd say the ideal flight model would be something like Ace Combat 6 (normal mode), heres to hoping though. Seems like so many developers these days don't give a rip about aircraft. What ever happened to all the flight sim games??

/rantoff

This is a very common complaint/bug/feature/whatever from the old OFP days. Welcome to Armed Assault!

is this 'fixable' via mod? please say it is (because it's just quite bad!)... somehow I don't believe BIS will fix it. though i hope, of course :D

Not really. Aircraft controls are very speed based and not thrust based and no amount of scripting is gunna change that.

This is a very common complaint/bug/feature/whatever from the old OFP days. Welcome to Armed Assault!

I know, I had OFP and was annoyed by this 'feature' back then... then again in ArmA... now ArmA 2...

someone at BIS must really love this feature... :rolleyes:

the worst part is that it is much easier to program the standard absolute throttle input than this autothrottle mode which requires an AI to detect when to accelerate and decelerate... I don't know why they decided to keep this... it really detracts from the fixed-wing flying experience...

Well, hopefully there will be a mod around this issue sometime in the near future... or a patch :j:

Cheers

You guys obviously haven't read my thread or watched the video of OFP 1.96 using a throttle slider and whats possible

it must be tweakable (with a mod), but it was always a nuisance! and there were also many threads about it long time ago, before arma 2 got out (even one by me), but it looks like BI didn't care about it. but its very unrealistic, I have a feeling I'm playing GTA!

And it would be really nice if the rudder was independent from the bank. You can not do a bank turn right now.

SS9, unbind your Left Turn/Right Turn controls and only use Left Roll/Right Roll and Left Pedal/Right Pedal controls. They are independent.

Also OFP 1.96 still had this speed-based throttle.

Also OFP 1.96 still had this speed-based throttle.

How many times do I have to post my thread or video, it is not speed based in my OFP 1.96 using the MS Sidewinder slider for throttle. I have been playing Flight Sims off and on since FS98 and the original Falcon 4 etc, I know the difference between speed based throttle and a proper adjustable throttle regardless of speed.

Edited by AUS_Twisted

patch please!

there´s also a built in dead zone that makes it very hard to keep aircraft steady...

also, for some reason, the joystick has a weaker response than the keyboard

SS9, unbind your Left Turn/Right Turn controls and only use Left Roll/Right Roll and Left Pedal/Right Pedal controls. They are independent.

Untrue, while roll left/roll right don't use nearly as much auto rudder as turn left/turn right, it still induces the rudder when banking. They are NOT independent which is ridiculous and not realistic.

This game is so much fun but...

I'm learning more and more that it is nothing more than OFP with a major cosmetics overhaul and ARMA with more stability other than that, they haven't really fixed many of the base issues that have been a problem since OFP...I dunno where their priorities lie

1. AI driving is pathetic

2. The throttle and even the whole flight model is sub-par compared even to BF2 in some ways :(

3. The outdated interface

4. Laggy and highly unoptimized netcode

But by golly, the graphics are pretty aren't they?! Oh well, the game that could have been, but that doesn't mean I won't be playing it because it's all we've got.