Sign in to follow this  
cr0wn3r

Profile name change

How do I change the name of my profile so that when I go in a multiplayer server it doesnt broadcast me as being the crappy name I gave to my single player profile?

Or do I have to create a new profile with a **cool** name, remap all the controls again, and select that one for multiplayer?

Create the new **cool name** profile then copy your old profile's settings to the new profile name folder. Typically you can find your old profile under C:\Documents and Settings\<current profile>\My Documents\Arma 2 Other Profiles\<lamename>\<lamename>.Arma2Profile where the <current profile> and <lamename> are placeholders for whatever your profile name is for your computer and Arma 2 profile. Once you've copied the <lamename>.Arma2Profile over to the new cool name folder then rename the <lamename>.Arma2Profile to <coolname>.Arma2Profile.

This is how it worked in Arma and looks like it works the same for Arma 2. The above explanation might be a little hard to follow but if you have questions please feel free to ask.

Sweet, that worked. Thanks.

Odd that theres not an easier way!

You can just create a new profile in the game. However that profile won't inherit all your settings from the default profile, so R.Reagan's way is prefered since you won't have to set up all the graphics and control settings again.

Is there any way to keep the saves? Or are they also saved this way?

Just got it, also copied the save files... How simple that was. oO

Edited by megagoth1702

old question but good question, without 100% satisfactory answer.

this is how you change your ingame name of your CURRENT profile, i.e. without making a new folder and copying profiles to transfer saved game states.

(1) edit your registry: "regedit" > "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA" > "Player Name" change it to <new_ingame_name> of your choice

(2) go to your ArmaA2 folder "C:\Users\<your name>\Documents\ArmA 2" and rename the two files to "<new_ingame_name>.ArmA2OAProfile" and "<new_ingame_name>.ArmA2Profile"

done.

@Predator[23rd]

since the last post was made in June 2010, i guess it is safe to consider that the problem was already solved in the meantime. Please do not dig up old threads.

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.