Sign in to follow this  
HmoobSoldier

Do you really hear the crack of a bullet whizzing by?

I don't recall ever hearing any cracking when bullets are flying overhead in any other FPS so I'm wondering if the cracking in A1 and A2 is really true to life. I hearing whizzing and whirling noises from bullets in videos of IRL military firefights but not the distinct cracking noise in the game.

If the bullet is passing you at supersonic speeds, the crack you hear is actually the bullet dispacing air with a shockwave that is travelling faster than sound then returning to the low pressure area created in the wake of the bullet. So yeah, you would hear that in real life. :D

ha, the mod, or your war experiences....oh and does the VOP mod effect framerates....

Most definitely.

Its very loud, violent and absolutely terrifying.

That's from experience.

I find the bullet sounds of Arma 2 really realistic and as frightening.

I would like to install that mod too, but it just seems it has too many bugs. Wonder if they'll be ironed out or not, if not, I'll pass.

I don't recall ever hearing any cracking when bullets are flying overhead in any other FPS.

Yep and thats cause they all suck noodles. ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tan7iiLJtr4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tan7iiLJtr4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nice one Dallas. :) Even an explanation from the soldiers.

Now see how crap the other games are. :D

Most definitely.

Its very loud, violent and absolutely terrifying.

That's from experience.

I find the bullet sounds of Arma 2 really realistic and as frightening.

In AA3 they are even better, real recordings.

I would like to install that mod too, but it just seems it has too many bugs. Wonder if they'll be ironed out or not, if not, I'll pass.

What are you talking about? Bugs? It's a sound mod! It doesn't have any bugs!

Yes it had bugs. And more than the ones fixed maybe. It changes sounds when reloading etc. It made the Arty module not working and more. Vo2 fixed some issues and maybe there are no more. But from seeing there were bugs with it at first and it is a bit rushed sound mod wich will get better with time im sure. But i guess the guy thaught of those issues it had and is scared to use it atm as it might have more hidden bugs.

Please read the addon thread before ranting around.

Edited by Alex72

ha, the mod, or your war experiences....oh and does the VOP mod effect framerates....

ha ha. sorry, my bedroom experince. should of clarified there.

I don't recall ever hearing any cracking when bullets are flying overhead in any other FPS so I'm wondering if the cracking in A1 and A2 is really true to life. I hearing whizzing and whirling noises from bullets in videos of IRL military firefights but not the distinct cracking noise in the game.

It's been around since the orignal OFP.

It's been around since the orignal OFP.

In OFP it was just kind of a "whoosh" though, wasn't it? No cracks I believe.

Funny thing is, without the cracks the game becomes incredibly difficult I think. Just try to play without any sound and see how fast you die without knowing why :)

In OFP it was just kind of a "whoosh" though, wasn't it? No cracks I believe.

Nope bullet cracks appeared in Arma1. It was a sought after effect by the community and (as many other things) BI implemented it :)

I don't recall ever hearing any cracking when bullets are flying overhead in any other FPS.

thats not true, darkest hour for red orchestra has also the bullet cracks and it sounds awsome too.

After spending 4 days finally getting ARMA2 to work as it should I can tell you when ARMA2 is working well it is the best game I have played in 30 years of computer gaming, TRS-80 anyone :-) and it still has so much room for improvement.

And yes I heard my first bullit crack past my head yesterday and it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, amazing atmosphere.

thats not true, darkest hour for red orchestra has also the bullet cracks and it sounds awsome too.

Yaii Project Reality, Insurgecy, America's Army and Darkest Hour all have bullet cracks with some really immersive suppression effects on player, which make the thing much more convincing than in Arma2.

Edited by dunedain

Yaii Project Reality, Insurgecy, American Army and Darkest Hour all have bullet cracks with some really nice suppression effects on player, something which lack in Arma2.

Actually I didn't think there were any to begin with either, but after playing around with the A2 demo, I can definitely see the suppression effects on the player after being shot at (but not getting hit ofcourse), your vision will start to fade/glow and your aiming accuracy will be hindered.

The suppression effect on the player is actually really nice in ArmA 2, in my opinion.