Sign in to follow this  
laggy

1-6 Behind Enemy Lines

[FAR]-Reaper and alpha-kilo,

Thank you so much for all the feedback and positive words.

The mission is indeed very random, since it uses the ACM module quite a lot. During the last sessions me and nominesine just couldn't make it any further than 1 km away from the crash site. We really did our best three times, but always ended up being surrounded in a forest or stuck in a barn somewhere with UAZs roaming outside. Once a local or villager with a hunting rifle got me from 1 km away while I was desperately reading the map, trying to find out where we were.

I recommend playing this mission in veteran mode, then you really have to deal with the realistic problems of getting lost and loosing track of enemy positions.

The dog tracking groups are also a real threat, until you shoot the dogs they will continue to hunt you down. Them closing in behind you and anything being expected in front of you creates a panicky feeling when choosing between two evils: Run for your life without a real plan or stop and neutralize the followers with the risk of being surrounded.

You might think that the mission designer always should be able to beat his own missions unless it is physically possible, but definitely no. I have no idea where the next threat will appear and part from knowing in which areas to stay extra aware I still have a hard time beating this, unless the mission loaded turns out to be a somewhat "walk in the park". However, that has never happened to me so far.

Am I born with bad luck or what?

Unless anyone has a bug/annoyance report I think I'll release the 0.96 version in a couple of days. Hope you try it and enjoy it because it is most likely final.

Cheers,

Laggy

Edited by laggy

Really awesome mission man, I'm loving it. The only problem is that sometimes it's stupidly easy and sometimes it's near impossible, but I guess that's a consequence of it being random.

Really awesome mission man, I'm loving it. The only problem is that sometimes it's stupidly easy and sometimes it's near impossible, but I guess that's a consequence of it being random.

Thanks,

Seems like you have had more luck with the random elements than me.

I have only succeeded ONE single time myself, part from the cheating mode during beta testing.

Either I'm extremely haunted by bad luck, or I just suck as a player in ArmAII.

Maybe a mix of both.

The 0.96 version (most likely final) will however make the mission somewhat less inconsistent in terms of difficulty. Not too much, since the tension, unpredictability and surprise element is needed. I think.

Cheers

Edited by laggy

one word mate

Classic

really enjoying this ... An inspiration to all budding mission makers like myself ...

top draw mate :)

This is certainly a 5 star mission! One of the few that deserve to be an official mission! LOVED the intro!

I have also tried it as a night time mission and it was FANTASTIC!

I look forward to more missions from you!

Good job laggy!

Edited by CaptainBravo

@ shark-attack and CaptainBravo

Thanks dear buddies... but please stop... If you continue you'll make me cry :cry2:

I wouldn't want that, it would destroy my image as a masculine intro maker , forever.

Really appreciate the positive feedback, just hope you'll like the next creation as much.

Love you guys... In a manly, macho, just friendly kind of way of course :blush:

I have also tried it as a night time mission and it was FANTASTIC!

Could you brief me on this experience? Would really appreciate it, since I might consider a night time option in the MP lobby.

Laggy

Edited by laggy

Cheers for the time & effort you put into this buddy, payed off in my eyes. Did each version twice, proberly eneded up taking me 6hours all goes included, and time well spent, the atmosphere is great, the enemy isnt over the top, its just about right and the whole story keeps you on your toes. I also tried the mission in night time as well, had a good experiance with it, had to be much more carefull where you went lol, but took longer, and far as i am concerned longer the better.

I look forward to your next release, great work.

i haven't gone far with the mission yet but everything was amazing from the get go. The feeling of being surrounded at the crash site, enemies from different directions, the sound of dogs barking, the survival aspect of it, all will make your heart race, Great mission idea.

Thanks laggy! I just finished downloading, will let you know how I enjoyed it later!

If you need any voice acting or original music/isntrumentals for any upcoming stuff you are working on let me know!*

Edited by kozzy420

awesome mission mate...well done.i think it s the best avaiable for now but how to set it at night?

awesome mission mate...well done.i think it s the best avaiable for now but how to set it at night?

Thanks a lot,

I'm currently touching up the last stuff on 0.96 version (final).

I will most likely add a parameter in the mission so that you can choose night as well.

Meanwhile, you can hide and wait for 1.5 hours in the game itself ;)

Or open it up in the editor, after unPBOing it.

Laggy

Mission updated to v0.97

THIS is hopefully final :)

Hope you enjoy,

Laggy

This gets very annoying. This goes on for about a minute, then it just hovers over ground, nothing happens after that. :confused:

Still one of the best missions we play in MP.

Difficulty:

It is pretty har in the first half of map, but once you gotton away from initial enemy groups, I have found it pretty easy way back to base

Recommendation:

Perhaps set up quick enemy helipcopter insertion near player once he has been spotted.

Only bug I noticed is once leader of group (player) dies and respawns he did not respawn as 2nd in command and he lost command to AI. That ruins the mission as AI will not move.

Anyway to ensure only player gets command once he respawns?

Aside from these minor issues, FANTASTIC MISSION!

I am looking forward to your next mission!

@Tomcos

That's wierd, never happens to me or anyone else, that I know of.

Try to download the mission again, maybe the file is corrupted.

@CaptainBravo

Thanks a lot for the thumbs up,

The respawn bug is related to the First Aid Module, I think.

Never happened before I implemented that one.

A human leader has ALWAYS respawned to the new leader if that unit is not occupied by another player.

I might include a "move" script that kicks in if the leader position changes to AI.

If BIS would correct the actual bug, that would be better :) Hope I'm right... but I'm pretty sure.

About the calmness in the later half of the mission, I want to hear more feedback, since the mission is very random.

The idea is that all hell can break loose, just when you started feeling safe.

Thanks both, your feedback is very helpful.

Laggy

Edited by laggy

Did you play in SP, hosted MP or on Dedicated server?

Do you use any addons?

Which ArmA2 version are you running?

I have tried the mission many times in all three modes, and I have never encountered that issue.

Laggy

Edited by laggy

Did you play in SP, hosted MP or on Dedicated server?

Do you use any addons?

SP, lots of addons, but I tried with no addons, and got this message "You can not play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.vops_c_guns"

OK,

Sounds like an ArmA2 bug related to your addons, weird that you get the message: "You can not play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.vops_c_guns".

The mission is made without any addons whatsoever, just plain vanilla ArmA2. I don't even have any addons installed, so there is no way I could have used any by mistake.

I'm afraid I can't help you with this problem.

I would be very careful with the usage of addons, since they often screw things up. I would only use creations which are known to be bug-free. That's what I did in ArmA1, and I never had any issues at all.

-Is this an addon you have or did have: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74004 ? I believe your message relates to that addon.

-Are you sure you have the official 1.03 ArmA2 version?

Laggy

Edited by laggy

Dear "Behind Enemy Lines" testers,

Thank you so much for all the feedback so far.

I'll be gone for a week now, and probably won't be able to answer any questions regarding this mission during that time.

Please post any feedback, and I'll check it as soon as possible.

I'm really trying to wrap this one up, so I can focus on new ideas.

Your opinions are invaluable, and I really want to make this mission a "classic".

Regards,

Laggy

Edited by laggy

it needs some kind of roadblocks....i was able to finish the mission just driving a car without enemy encounters....

Hello :)

I played it with some mates yesterday night, and had a lot of fun.

If I may say something about cons, wouldn't you consider to shorten it a little, or to make more events happen? We felt like it was a little bit empty, despite some very good ideas (I don't want to spoil here).

Thumbs up anyway, we enjoyed the trip!

Last check before traveling...

it needs some kind of roadblocks....i was able to finish the mission just driving a car without enemy encounters....

Hmmm... v0.97 has roadblocks.

Did you play v0.97?

Which route did you take if you remember?

All the possible roads to Chernogorsk should now be guarded, maybe I've missed something.

Another possibility is that the garbage collector module is doing something it shouldn't.

Thanks both of you,

Laggy

Edited by laggy

So the dogs actually chase you and signal enemy forces? I thought the barking was just ambient noise, but I actually had a German Shepherd chase me just as we got swarmed by APCs.

In general I would recommend more infantry squads in the middle third of the map. They are easy to avoid and won't ruin your plans like an APC, but can create some amazing, thrilling moments when they run right into you. Leave the last bit near Cherno free of enemies for when players are exhausted and impatient.

Also, stealing the script from Bitter Chill where Spetsnaz hunt you in a Mi-8 would be excellent.

Edit: Is it possible to take a civilian bus or ural?