Sign in to follow this  
tophe

Basic editing FAQ

Since a lot of new mission makers are finding their way to the forum I thought I'd make a thread where we can post some of the most FAQ by beginners.

To keep the same questions from being asked in too many threads.

Essential links:

OFPEC.com - The editing center. It has been around since the days of Flashpoint. A good amount of resources there.

BIS Wiki. BIS own wiki. Always look here first. Amongst other gems you'll find a Scripting Command Ref

FAQ:

First up, a question I've seen in about 10 different threads the last week.

Where do I put scripts to use them into my mission?

First you must save the mission as a User Mission in the editor.

Then you'll find a folder with your mission's name in:

\My Documents\ArmA 2\Missions\

That's where all the files you want in your mission should go.

If you have made a new profile in Arma 2 the path might look like this:

\My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\YourProfileName\Missions\

How do I enable respawn in my mission?

First you must put a text document called description.ext in your mission folder. You can edit it with notepad or any similar text editor.

In this file you write:

respawn = RespawnType;

respawnDelay = DelayInSeconds;

The different types of respawn are:

0 or "NONE" No respawn

1 or "BIRD" Respawn as a crow

2 or "INSTANT" Respawn just where you died.

3 or "BASE" Respawn in base. (Requires a marker named respawn_west, respawn_east, respawn_guerrila or respawn_civilian)

4 or "GROUP" Respawn in your group (if there's no AI left, you'll become a crow).

5 or "SIDE" Respawn into an AI unit on your side (if there's no AI left, you'll become a crow)

For example, this will have the player respawn where he died after 10 seconds:

respawn = 2;

respawnDelay = 10;

More info on respawn and description.ex there:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext#Respawn...

How do I put stuff on the LHD (the big ships)?

In the init field of the unit, just add:

this setPosASL [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, 15.9]

Other threads on various subjects:

Briefing

Maybe some moderator could make this a sticky?

Edited by Tophe
added stuff

Should put up links to the Biki, ofpec.com and some of the main threads, like the threads for the different modules etc.

absolutely.. Show me the main threads and I'll edit them in.

Added a couple of links

Added briefing thread.

Oh, you found the thread.. I think there are better threads with answers like this.

This one never really took off, it seems.

No thread is better than the one, who answered two basic, old questions I had. ;-)

And sure I would like you to continue this for the start was that promissing.

There are hundreds of noobs that have indeed big problems to find the right answers + questions.

Your style here was "intuitive" - sure something that can be derived from your musical ablities ;-)

definitely need some touching-on with the 4x/week heli-extract question

I just saw this thread. Being one of the noobs having a lot of problems, I really appreciate the intention.

I would like to ask two things:

1) when you post a link, can you tell in your post what the link is about? That would speed the search up, otherwise I have to look at all links

2) anything you can post about game logics? They seem to be the big unanswered question of ArmA editing

Hey guys, I am trying to create a description.ext document for a mission I have been working on. I am wanting to use the respawn funtion to send you back to base in about 10 seconds after death. I opened Notepad and wrote in:

respawn = 3;

respawnDelay = 10;

I have absolutly no luck... I try standing myself infront of a russian firing squad and blowing myself up, but it never works. I have put the respawn markers on the map and named them appropriatly and I have even tried respawns 1, 2, 3, and 4. It sounds like I should just be able to put this code in, save it to the mission file, refresh the mission editor, and preview it. However, that is not working for me.

Its single player. I don't really know how to make multi player missions. I have been trying to figure out how to do that as well.

fro... You need to export the mission to Multiplayer. Respawn doesn't work in the editor, only on MP.

Thanks, I will try that out!

Not to burst your bubble, but there is already a sticky on this exact thing

This post pre-dates both of your links. :p

Toph,

I am having trouble with your vehicle respawn script and this halo script i am working on.

Here is the thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?145097-Help-Request-Halo-jump-Vehicle-respawn-help-request

I am adding a addaction to the vehicle init to add halo jumping option to the vehicle. but when it respawns it no longer is present. and when I do what you suggested in the vehicle.sqf, to add the next init in ""m the halo jump options doesnt work at all or even show up as an otpinos. So i am thinking i am doing it wrong or maybe its just not setup correctly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Note: I made a new thread before i saw this one in the comments and sorry to bring up a older thread, hopefully Toph is still around lol.