Sign in to follow this  
roadrunner20

Realism, arma 2,

I been playing the demo and actually starting to come over to arma 2 as being a good game, once you break past the complex system and interface.

The main issue i have is from a realism point, this game unlike other games states its a realism simulator.

The thing is there are two areas where this game which i have seen fails.

1: snipers, i have fired a few due to the occupation and such know a bit about them, the snipers in the game are aiming wise very unrealistic, for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lc9MgNrwaU

As you can see you need to put the crosshair above the target, THIS IS 100% UNREALISTIC and i feel this a major issue which games are doing and is terrible,

When using a sniper you ALLWAYS, keep the crosshair on target, this one of the basics you are told/beaten into, bullet deviation is calculated via the "knobs" on the weapon system/sniper. wind ect.

i think this issue needs to b addressed as it really spoils the realism part of the game, and i hate having to use snipers with this terrible system that just screams," this is a game made by people who have no idea about weapon systems".

breathe..

Another less important, but important non the less is the targeting system, for example:

When you call out target or squad leader gives one it usually:"enemy rifleman, far in front, XXXmtr", or "enemy BMP XXXm far right"

In real life this is never said nor done, we use the milles system or EU uses the degree system, and i feel that this "simulator" should as such use it, the ye olde clock method is still good but very rarely used in game.

i feel the game would be much better with the milles or degree system, using silly sayings like far right, far left, close right , is bad method and would get you beasted in real life.

end of my thread, hopefully you will agree, apart from these the game is quite enjoyable.

please sign up:)

Edited by roadrunner20

It's not very realistic either that aiming with a weapon is made so that you can only aim as good as some 90-year old granny could.

BIS makers make it real enough, addons and mods make it more real. What I'm trying to say here is that there is a lot more than just the default vanilla game. Eventually there will be a mod that enhances ballistics to a more realistic level. Don't get your panties in a bunch just yet, give it time.

Oh how nice it would be to one day have adjustable sights and scopes.

The sniper thing will probably not be corrected by BIS. Im not sure, but probably not.

For more realism and a huge bunch of functions/features you have to wait for a full conversion mod (addon) called ACE2 that will add so much you wont even believe it if i said it. Its too much to even start spelling out here, but get prepared for adjustable scopes (elevation, MOA, wind), working backpacks you actually put on your back that you can stuff with gear, and that will add to weight and make you more tired when moving. Expect a lot of functions and features that will both add realism but also gameplay value. Just so that balance become perfect. I assure you that you will love it.

Check out the features for ArmA1 below. And then imagine ARMA2 with new script commands etc. I was blown away by ACE so ACE2 should blow you away too. ;) It will change ARMA2's feeling of how its played making it more realistic with better gameplay sprinkled on top.

I read that a beta is some months away. Quoted they said a couple of months - but not too many. All i can say is keep it up mate and keep playing and have fun. ignore some things that arent up to your standard for now. You can still have fun. Thats the beauty with ARMA that even if some things arent as we want them you can play so many other roles and ways that it works anyway and you have awesome fun until the addons that tweaks ARMA into what you want are released. Especially with friends in a team laying down proper tactics you have great great fun. Check the features of ACE1 for ArmA1 though and think that in ARMA2 + more. ;)

LINK: ACE1 FEATURES

PS. The ACE team actually add effects as well into their mod. Backblast for example looked amazing with fire and big dust/smoke cloud shooting out back and hurt anyone close enough. So you had to shout to clear people off. Shooting AT-4 inside small room - certain death or severly injured yourself - just as in real life. ;) Thats just another feature. Expect tons more.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Yup. Give it some time. Sight adjustments, wind deflection, etc. will come along. But as Alex said probably not by BIS. But that's the beauty of this game and the prior games, the community will no doubt come up with something. BIS basically provides people with a good basic platform, and from what I'm hearing many mod makers like what they've seen thus far in A2, and the community steps up and fills in many gaps.

Definitely check out the ACE 2 thread and the link that Alex provided. ACE added so much to ArmA and they're coming over to A2.

Basically just give it some time. The game will get much improved via BIS' patches and over time, with all the stuff the mod teams have cooking. The amount of "stuff" that's made for BIS games get bananas! :yay:

When using a sniper you ALLWAYS, keep the crosshair on target, this one of the basics you are told/beaten into, bullet deviation is calculated via the "knobs" on the weapon system/sniper. wind ect.

What are you basing your information on? IIRC, IRL Carlos Hathcock held over. Sometimes a rifle takes a shot or two to settle the adjustment.

"Give it some time" ... you mean another 8 years?

I get your meaning but no it won't be that long. Thankfully most of the core script remains the same. This is a credit to BIS as the mods for Arma2 will be, generally, easier for the existing Arma mods to port over.

ACE overall was a great mod for Arma. ACE 2 will make this a fantastic sim.

Well. Arma2 is not a simulator. It is "realism-combined-with-fun combat simulation" as dslyecxi says it. Or "as-close-to-war-as-you-can-get-with-your-pc" -video game, as I call it. It is wonderful game but it is not a pure sim. IRL you don't kill people with mouse and keyboard, you use a real guns. IRL you don't get stucked every f*cking doorways when you try to come out of the building. 5 minutes ago I walked from my kitchen to my living room. And I didn't get stucked on doorway! In Arma2 (demo) I tried to come out of the little house leaning left and trying to look around the corner at the same time for possible enemy. But I did get STUCKED on doorway! That doesn't happen IRL :) . So it should'nt happen in simulator. IRL you won't be able to look yourself in 3rd person view, right? IRL theres no possibility to change difficulty settings for daily living, but in ArmA2 you can do that. Still a simulator?

End of provoke and sarcasm. ArmA2 is a very good game, but don't take it too seriously. Sometimes is so satisfying to throw a couple of grenades on your own base just to get reactions out of your playing mates. Its absolutely beautiful. And fascinating.

Edited by noobysnipa

You can survive 3 headshots in ArmA 2 and there's magickal healing, and you're complaining about unrealistic sights?

Do the ACE features impact upon framerates anyone ?

Depends. If I remember ACE1 eventually had custom particle and texture mods added in. That may affect framerates some.

You can survive 3 headshots in ArmA 2 and there's magickal healing, and you're complaining about unrealistic sights?

You're a funny troll.

Do the ACE features impact upon framerates anyone ?

yes because of the amount of scripts, and it also used custom effects; but it shouldn't be a huge decrease

About this, just tested, never been able to repro to such an extent.

The only thing coming close is when shooting with a M9 silenced (only this one) on a Razor Team member coupled with the first head module (any other unit won't behave the same, and you won't see it if no first aid module is activated for the unit) shot in the head, the guy won't die right away and will roll on the floor, in hurt stance and waiting for healing. A second shot in the head will kill him immediatly.

Anything else, and a headshot is a kill.

Which means you'll never encounter the behavior described above anywhere in MP or SP apart for very, very odd moment when for example you begin to TK your own team members during campaign with your Silenced M9 (I can admit it can happen out of frustration ;) ).

How to make a non impacting bug look like normal game behavior, typical , mmmh?

dvolk tut tut tut. As others said you are a funny troll :D

Anybody who plays ArmA can disprove your video. Did you realy think people were not going to go out and test it?

Every Amygdala shot I have tested with pistols is an instant kill.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

Put the difficulty on recruit, place Cooper and FR corpsman and shoot Cooper in the face with M9 SD. I guarantee you'll find the same thing as in the video.

"Give it some time" ... you mean another 8 years?

Sure if that's what you want to wait. Personally I'll just wait for ACE2

Put the difficulty on recruit, place Cooper and FR corpsman and shoot Cooper in the face with M9 SD. I guarantee you'll find the same thing as in the video.

Ah, I didn't though about activating the superArmor :) So that makes yet another requirement to achieve what you described, and it's only when playing with the super easy options enabled.

Hardly, hardly a general state of things and not gamebreaking at all. but keep pushing your lil vid to make people think A2 is something it's not ;)

Ah, I didn't though about activating the superArmor :) So that makes yet another requirement to achieve what you described, and it's only when playing with the super easy options enabled.

Hardly, hardly a general state of things and not gamebreaking at all. but keep pushing your lil vid to make people think A2 is something it's not ;)

The point is that the same could have been said of the OFPDR E3 preview (easier difficulty, etc). None of you did, however.

Ok now you are proving that setting difficulty option as low as possible you will need more that 1 headshot to kill some units.

I didn't checked that, but i don't really have any problem with such a feature.

I bet players who play at minimum difficulty are not looking for any strong realism, are they?

If you are just looking for realism then try raising the bar ...

If that's not enough then the game engine gives you a complete set of config parameters to fine tune your gaming experience ... as long as you're able to handle them.

Edited by fabrizio_T