Sign in to follow this  
topeira

Poor AI detection rules :(

am i the only one who is disappointed with the AI's detection rules by which they decide if they spot an enemy or not?

i placed about 5 enemies (linked as a group) and set them to walk AWAY from my man (my man = the player. me.). i slowly walked behind them (crouched and shuffle) and whenever i get to about 10 - 20 meters behind them they notice me no matter what i do. they all raise their hands with an "attack" hand signature, run around and turn to shoot me.

i also tried NOT moving at all. in the editor i set it so i spawned behind them and did nothing at all. didnt move. didnt crouch. didnt fire. didnt breath. nothing. the enemies walked AWAY from me on a state of "safe" and spotted me after a few steps.

this is also true if im completely covered by a concrete wall. even if the AI HAD turned around they couldnt have seen me, but they DO know where i am if im close. this is how it seems.

HOWEVER if i lie prone under the exact same condition - the enemies DONT spot me. weird? yes! realistic? no. immersive? no no. allows for stealth gameplay?! no way, Jose!

it seems as if their detection is about distance, not sound and not really LOS.

the above example was tested VERY thoroughly but i havent tested sound perception. im gonna see if staying far behind them but shooting a loud gun will get their attention. i believe it will but i also believed they can't hear me if im crouching behind them/

Hi topeira

Existing AI thread.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73139

Search before posting ;)

If you have an experiment as you say in your post; post up the experimental mission so others can test it.

When you post your experiment, also include a proper report it makes things easier for all of us to look into it. There is a template you can use in the first post of this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74090

Press quote, select the template area and then copy and paste into the thread post where you want to comment.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

im reviving this post to revive the subject.

has anyone tested this as well?

just create a mission where u stand about 50 meters behind enemy units and start the mission. dont move at all, or even more but dont make noise. the AI will detect u even if u r not doing anything.

however if u lay PRONE than the AI wont detect u if u r behind them.

Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing! It's impossible to sneak up on an enemy from behind since the AI currently got some kind of ESP (Extra Sensory Perception) and hear you no matter how slow/quite you try to crawl in prone position...

Personally I've postponed further AI testings until next patch is released.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

It's the same as when I'm with friendly AI on one side of a city and they spot targets on the other side. There's no way they could've seen or heard those units yet somehow they know where they are.

Also if I've joined a squad with a friend in co-op evolution, our characters will call out targets when we're behind walls blocks away from anything. It's like having a cheat on to see through walls or something.

The AI has excellent hearing indeed :D

I was a bit disappointed at first, but now I am ok with this.

I could be wrong but I think it has been done to improve their performance inside cities.

If you go prone you will be able to come closer to the enemy.

The AI has excellent hearing indeed :D

I was a bit disappointed at first, but now I am ok with this.

I could be wrong but I think it has been done to improve their performance inside cities.

If you go prone you will be able to come closer to the enemy.

I'm also suspecting the AI having to good hearing and thus able to unrealisticly detect you.

If this is a good or bad thing depends a bit on what kind of gameplay you like. In larger scale assualts it may not be a to big problem but it sure is in stealthy missions where you want to sneak past a sentry at night or similar scenarios.

I'm sure things can be adjusted to more realistic detection behaviour etc. by BIS further down the road but at the moment I suspect they focus on higher prioritie issues like stability, overall performence etc.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

its not only for stealth gameplay. if im having a large scale combat and i want to flank the enemy and attack him from the rear i know he will know im there no matter how well i move behind cover and stay hidden. if i manage to surprise the AI than its just cuz they are focusing on other targets other than me.

its a really pitty and ruins the sense of fighting humans and trying to outsmart them.

p.s. - if u r going prone than the AI will never know u r there. if u crouch or stand than u dont need to make noise. just stand still. dont move. they will still know where u r.

a shame.

im reviving this post to revive the subject.

has anyone tested this as well?

just create a mission where u stand about 50 meters behind enemy units and start the mission. dont move at all, or even more but dont make noise. the AI will detect u even if u r not doing anything.

however if u lay PRONE than the AI wont detect u if u r behind them.

They do see you even if they're 200+ meters away and you're proning in tall grass / behind 39583 trees.

What difficulty settings are you guys using? I never have those issues on normal settings.

They do see you even if they're 200+ meters away and you're proning in tall grass / behind 39583 trees.

We must play different games then. :confused:

(Playing with AIskill on 0.7, precision on 0.55)

i also play on normal AI, but in custom missions i make i sometimes play on the hardest (1.0) but difficulty has nothing to do with it :\

I mentioned this before but this applies to allied units too and it's pretty annoying in missions where you are stuck with an AI squad leader because he can spot targets from 300 or even 500 meters away and sends out team members to engage them so the squad gets scattered around the map plus we advance very slowly.

i also play on normal AI, but in custom missions i make i sometimes play on the hardest (1.0) but difficulty has nothing to do with it :\

Yes it does. The highest difficulty setting gives the AI near superhuman detection abilities. Personally i found 0.7 a good mix of realism and gameplay. They can spot me from several hundred meters away but i can do the same. I just stop every once in a while and check my surroundings, this helps alot. The only unfair advantage they have is their uber hearing ability* in CQB. (~<30m? I havent tested this, but when i dont make any sounds i can 'survive' (Not kill) a close encounter with a large patrol as well by just hiding)

Or maybe it is realistic compared to real life, but they seem to hear footsteps on longer distances then i can do ingame.

it's not footsteps, nemesis. u dont have to move for the AI to know where u r. they just do. they SENSE you :P

this needs to be fixed. it's a problem and there is no realistic excuse to justify this AI behavior (i sound like the AIs mother, dont i?). no one can "sense" the enemy without the enemy making noise, moving or waving his hands like a cheerleader to say the least.

Closed, another thread already exists.