Sign in to follow this  
Ghillidude

Patch 1.03 development status

Since my other thread got closed for some unknown reason (at least we were discusing instead of flaming or ranting) i want to ask the developers how far are they with the performance patch? I´m sure you´ll be able to give us an estimate like 40%, 50% done etc. And please refuse to use phrases like "it´s done when it´s done" or "soon". I´m sure you guys doing proper project management or know anything about Software Engineering. Statements like "soon" show the imcompetence of a gaming studio. And BIS isn´t imcompetent right?

Will there be a beta version of the patch? I and i´m sure the community wouldn´t mind beta testing, at least, that´s what we did and do anyway. BIS could also use the, in my opinion, fabulous bugtrackers from dev-heaven.net to beta test future patches, if there´s not enough manpower in your own company.

Hi Ghillidude

As with all bleeding edge development projects it is done when it is done.

The mythical man hour is just that a myth. Percentage complete even if the project manger is a genius at it and a wizard MS project. It tells you nothing about when the project is complete. NOT A THING.

This is because such bleeding edge development is of necessity a process of discovery. All you can see is the next hill. You can not see beyond it. Once you get there you often have reassess.

The Pareto Principle always applies. 80% of the project gets completed in 20% of the time. Hence that last 20% takes 80% of the time. Good project management is in setting achievable goals and most importantly about having the ability to say we have done enough for now, which you do by dividing the project into discrete modules and mile stones.

In reality a project is complete when the stake holders agree it is and since that rarely happens most projects are never complete.

All that ever happens is the project leader says enough we can do no more. It is one of the greatest skills a project leader can have.

Good project managers realise and accept this and that their projects will never complete, instead like the Real Virtuality engine they refine and optimize and improve aging into their role.

That is why the truest definition of development is that it is a process not an objective.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
spelling and clarity, added a bit of philosophy

I'd love to see this too but I'd probably wail and gnash my teeth at the elastic nature of patch release dates like everybody else. Most patches are an Irish stew of fixes here and there and deciding which to roll out in what point release is a pain. It's in development and will be out when it's out, any date given would be prone to hopping around the calendar like a cat on hot tin roof.

I´m pretty sure they have a schedule, don´t you think? I know they don´t like giving out infos too early, but showing up on these boards, saying seomthing like "hey guys, we are working on the 1.03 patch and we just finished fixing this and that" will calm down people and give them trust. If they use agile Projectmanagement, then they have daily meetings and daily tasks to finish. They could at least tell us how far they are.

There is no information to give, when it's done we'll release it and give you the information then, not sure how much clearer I can possibly make it? Sorry your thread was closed, and this is closed, but there's absolutely zero point to these threads, making them does not move the patch closer, making them does not give you a "prediction" for what 1.03 will contain.

Whether you agree or not with the closure, ignoring it = ignoring a moderator's instruction, under the forum rules that is not acceptable, if you wanted to discuss it you should have PM'd the moderator in question.