Sign in to follow this  
TiGGa

RTS - Farm Wars

Awesome mission and haven't ran into any real problems or bugs (idiotic AI excluded) yet, rock solid. Had some really good firefights and have taken over a few things already, took a while to learn what was going on but wasn't too bad.

Any suggestions on what I can do so that NVG arn't so bright though, anyone? I can't really use the RTS mode with them on due to the bright screen flashes every time I scroll.

Really can't wait to see where this goes since it's already so good.

Thanks TiGGa :)

@Crazy: I'd have to change the faction to USMC for both sides, if you want them all to speak english, which is a bad idea gameplay wise. Why don'T you just read their radio messages, which should be in your local language anyways (unless you have a croatian arma version).

Concerning the tractor, you have to be more specific. I can'T read your minds. :D Did you use the semi automatic mode or the full automatic mode? If you have used the semi automatic mode, then everything is just fine. The tractor will only move, if you tell him to do so. Each time you want him to pick up a cow, you have to press the button for that. Now you can use the full automatic mode by setting certain parameters like:

-how many cows would I like to keep at least in the cow shed

-how much meat should the cow have before being collected

-what's the selling price your tractor should wait for, before it will sell the meat

-how much meat should be at least in a single meat crate.

After setting that up, you should press the apply button and then activate the full automatic mode. It will work, as long you have some AI tractors around.

Issues are: Sometimes tractors stop moving without a proper reason. This is an ArmA problem with the wayfnding so I can't really do much about. You either have to push them to their destination, or you can try to have a transport chopper pick them up or you can shoot them and manually bringing the cow/crate to their destination.

@Tureis: I think it is ok as it is now. It will slow down the game in a way where you have a phase as an infantry, then moving on to light vehicles and after that import vehicles. The cow reproduction will speed up, if you have more then 10 cows, that is 5 pairs of cows. Pretty much every minute you have a 25% chance of a newborne for EACH pair of cow. You will see that, once you have reached 20 cows, that it is almost impossible to drop them below 10 again, because they reproduce almost instantly.

If want the process of actually making the cow "fatter" faster, then try the pastures. There is a reason why there are pasture around the map. They will give you cows with +1000 meat in no times. During my tests, I was producing so much meat that I couldn'T sell it all. So, the lack of meat is due to the bad commanding of your commander. :D

@Crazy: I'd have to change the faction to USMC for both sides, if you want them all to speak english, which is a bad idea gameplay wise. Why don'T you just read their radio messages, which should be in your local language anyways (unless you have a croatian arma version).

Concerning the tractor, you have to be more specific. I can'T read your minds. :D Did you use the semi automatic mode or the full automatic mode? If you have used the semi automatic mode, then everything is just fine. The tractor will only move, if you tell him to do so. Each time you want him to pick up a cow, you have to press the button for that. Now you can use the full automatic mode by setting certain parameters like:

-how many cows would I like to keep at least in the cow shed

-how much meat should the cow have before being collected

-what's the selling price your tractor should wait for, before it will sell the meat

-how much meat should be at least in a single meat crate.

After setting that up, you should press the apply button and then activate the full automatic mode. It will work, as long you have some AI tractors around.

Issues are: Sometimes tractors stop moving without a proper reason. This is an ArmA problem with the wayfnding so I can't really do much about. You either have to push them to their destination, or you can try to have a transport chopper pick them up or you can shoot them and manually bringing the cow/crate to their destination.

Oh that’s right, duh I forgot about the different languages for all sides, ok that make sense.

Full auto you say, that could be the reason why they were not moving after 1 cycle and yeah you’re right about the ArmA pathfinding thingy not working properly, I noticed that the tractors will become stalled on the train tracks. TeHe to bad a train doesn't come by every now and then to clear the way lol... Hamburger express lol.

I sure hope that BI fixes or preferably includes the option to turn off that autosave on exit, I noticed while playing a LAN game that if I exit and come back I lose control of my recruited squad and their pictures are replaced with blue boxes and I can see the AI farmers marker on screen up to 1000's of meters away. I don’t get many commands with the Ai farmers when this happens… It's kind of odd.

And speaking of the AI farmers, what else do they do, I mean how can I control them? As soon as they hit the ground they go off on their own and I never see them again.

Oh hey I almost forgot to ask for a watch tower, I've seen these wooden structures and thought that would be a good place to station a few snipers.

Edited by CrazyAce

If the other squad leaders die and there are no other group members left, the squad icon is removed from the high command bar. This is hard coded in the high command module. As a solution, you have to go into the command menu and press "Restore High command bar", which will readd all the groups to the high command bar. Then you should be able to command the other AI farmers again. The high command mode can be switched off by pressing ctrl+spacebar if you didn't know that.

You will see that, once you have reached 20 cows, that it is almost impossible to drop them below 10 again, because they reproduce almost instantly.

Ain't nature wonderful :) Insta-gestation !

Oh concerning the watchtower, you can build a fortified tower or a gun tower (same as the fortified tower with MG and a ZU23 on top). There is also a Rocket tower with a SPG9. I have added both to use them with the large sandbags, so they can shoot over them.

In the next version, I will add a small MG nest and a large MG bunker with preplaced MGs inside. I also try to create a forward base template, a heavily fortified one, where you can park your support chopper (Repair/Rearming) and a fuel truck along with your MHQ (Respawn).

Not Mod of the Year 2009 but Moo of the Year 2009!

Yeah this mod is definitely my choice for Moo of the Year. I'm having such a blast. Thank you again TiGGa, it makes this game that much more fun.

Pretty much every minute you have a 25% chance of a newborne for EACH pair of cow. You will see that, once you have reached 20 cows, that it is almost impossible to drop them below 10 again, because they reproduce almost instantly.

Woow those bulls are horny! :eek:

Regarding the tractor issue: would it help to refresh the target waypoint every xx minutes again until the target waypoint is reached? Sometimes giving the command again "wakes up" the driver.

I cant wait to give this a go looks great, I'm having a little trouble though when i go to play the mission it loads half way and stops and tells me that there is "No Player Selected." I know that the problems is probabbly something i have done wrong but does anyone have anyidea of what it actually is i need to fix?

Thanks xxx

It is a MP Mission, so you cant play it in SP.

Copy it to the Mpmissions Folder and play it with creating a LAN host.

It’s a MP game not a SP game, put the glt_t34_farmwars.pbo & glt_t34_farmwars.pbo.fArmA.bisign into a mods folder and load as you would with any mod.

Then put the farm_wars_02.Chernarus.pbo into the MPMissions.

Thanks for responding TiGGa. I was able to train him to be a better commander, (It was just us two playing.) sadly, I never taught him to build walls. So eventually after great amounts of success a couple of guys came in at night and RPG'd all the buildings. :( Anyways this is a great mod, it's like CTI with COWS!

Will upload the 0.2c version with some bugfixes in half an hour. For the server admins: I have the addon key file in the first thread.

If the other squad leaders die and there are no other group members left, the squad icon is removed from the high command bar. This is hard coded in the high command module. As a solution, you have to go into the command menu and press "Restore High command bar", which will readd all the groups to the high command bar. Then you should be able to command the other AI farmers again. The high command mode can be switched off by pressing ctrl+spacebar if you didn't know that.

when i do ctrl+spacebar the game sometimes crashes !!

Never crashed for me. When I have time, I will try to incorporate squad commanding in the RTS interface.

For the guys who are playing MP:

If the tractors aren'T moving anymore, do you have high pingers on the server? And do the tractors start moving again during the game? It is really hard to locate the problem right now.

I had a similar problem with a tank once. The tank just stopped and didn't react to any of my move orders. So I'm not sure if my script is causing the problem or if it is an ArmA problem.

Edited by TiGGa

As for LAN, I reloaded my last save from Version 0.1 to 0.2, I had a tractor in auto mode and after I updated the tractor just stopped. After a while of messing around with the auto control function the tractor started working again, in fact it started working better than before :)

Yet again regarding LAN games, does the AI CEO do anything? I started a new LAN game as farmer 1 and left the CEO as an AI, but a few minutes in game nothing started to build.

No, the AI CEO isn't doing anything. If you are playing alone, I recommend you to try the COOP AI modules, where you can try to destroy the resistance base. Depending on you module choice, the resistance will also use import vehicles, so it will almost be like playing against the other faction. Another choice for single player is doing the $500.000 victory condition in combination with the nonCoop AI. At the end, you will see the time you needed to earn the $500.000. Take a screenshot and upload it on the forum. :D

-Fix: Tractors stopped moving without any reason. Hopefully fixed.

I think I have done more harm than good with this one. Will revert that bug fix.

Tested 0.2b.

Judging that mission in a class with warfare and crCTI I would say EXCEPTIONAL!!!

:459: :icon_dj::thanx:

And so many moduls with potential to be converted into other nice missions if TiGGa permits.

The general GUI - well designed

The code in itself with only a few bugs

The group commanding - so easy, crCTI could benefit a lot if the waypoint mess would be replaced by TiGGas solution

The logistic simulation - excellent, opens so much room for tactics

In 0.2C the AT tower and the MG Tower comes up for me as <null> when I double click on them in the construction menu, which prevents me from purchasing and placing them.

:edit:

Stupid request I have is another means of moving the map around, I use 2 monitors and when I move the mouse to the left edge of the screen to move the overhead view around, I tend to go to the other screen. I was just wondering if its possible to add the numpad to move the screen around?

Edited by CrazyAce