Sign in to follow this  
SPECOPx

Just going against AI's in Multiplayer?

I don't understand how is going against AI's on domination and evolution fun? When I asked people said domination was the most popular game mode in Arma 1. So what's the deal and I thought multiplayer was about pvp not just going against some bots with some buddies.

You'll find both world in ArmA.

Coop only, low or large scale (from simple coop mission to large scale Evo and such)

PvP only, low or large scale (from simple DM/CTF to large scale CH, AAS, soon to be released Berzerk - even though ArmA1 Berzerk is not that large - )

Mix of both, CTI or Warfare, usually large scale.

OFP history makes coop genre very popular compared to your usual FPS where the target is PvP. OFP/ArmA MP was made with playing SP missions with your buddies in mind (see the possility to play the campaign online, for example)

ArmA is open enough to offer this all, and it seems the most popular thing is the large scale coop. Don't diss it simply because you don't like it ;) These players have as much right as you to play as they like it

In fact, I also think "numbers bring in numbers", and people tend to connect to servers with already many people on. And we lack large scale PvP maps, it seems.

Anyway, there's a lil bit of PvP maps running.

Look for maps of type "HOLD" (Capture&Hold type), or with "AAS" in the name.

What's even worse is AI impact on performance. 1/2 fps? no thx. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure of it, you see tons of complaints about lack of PvP, you open a PvP server, and no one uses it....

Every PvP server Ive tried has been pretty much a waste of time, no team work, no communication and it seems to just "not work" as well as a good coop, hopefully this will change as Im looking forward to some great PvP fights..AI is ok, but you cant beat being shot at by a sentient human being with a determination to kill you can you? ;)

Capture & Hold has been so far best in terms of team work for me. Combat is more focused and there are also UI elements that help a lot with coordination.

Capture & Hold has been so far best in terms of team work for me. Combat is more focused and there are also UI elements that help a lot with coordination.

Hmm, Im going to have to try those out and give it a bit more time, the thing with current PvP servers is that I feel like Im playing a solo FPS, not what I signed up for really :D

Ehh.. How is coop not multiplayer? We play coop for several reasons:

* It's not all about the fighting. Coop lets us do this at our own pace without it becoming a big bore for the other team.

* People on the other team don't react to our server difficulty setting ;) Some of us are too old and slow to be competing against the uber quick young players. We need to be able to set the difficulty to have fun. Being constantly killed is not fun for us.

* We're not enough players to warrant PvP playing. Small coops fits best, and we have a downgraded Domination that lets us play coop without becoming a slaughterhouse.

* Coop never becomes competition oriented. It's never about getting the quickest win.