Sign in to follow this  
POTS

Alarming frames consumption from AA

I dont know why, or the difference from the first arma, but AA cost a lot in ArmA2. I kept it as a side issue, but the jaggies are really getting to me, but I cant turn it on or I suffer heavy fps loss. Fillrate is also a monster, but thats understandable. However, there is no reason why AA should consume half my frames on the normal setting. Even on low I lose 1/3 of my frames. I'm running an HD 4870 512mb, and never had this problem in the first arma. I'm currently using the demo.

The impact AA has is dependent on what resolution you are running, among other things. What resolution (Or "Fill Rate") are you running at?

I haven't noticed any drastic difference with my HD4870 (about 2 frames between off and 2x and another 2 frames between 2x and 8x) at 1680x1050.

I'm running at 1024x1280 and on normal my fps drops from 60 to 35. On low it goes from 60 to 40. I dont know why. I get about 55 frames average in different situations.

Same here, running Fraps I would see a 20 fps drop even when turning AA on low. Tried turning it off in-game and forcing AA in the video card control panel but that doesn't even seem to work.

1280x1024 res

Ati 4850 512 mb

AMD 7850 dual core @ 3.0ghz

4 gigs Kingston HyperX ram

Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Setting AA to low doesn't cause any visible framerate decrease for me. Very high AA eats about 5-10 fps depending on the situation, but I think that's well within the norm. Since I play on 1920x1080 anyway, AA on low is enough to kill the jaggies for me.

is anything 'forced on' in your nvidia/ati control panel? I had the same problem in Arma when I forced AA transparency, and my fps would take a huge plunge

Nothing is forced on. The only forced thing in my catalyst control center is vsync forced off. Everything else is application settings.

I'm on an Nvidia 9600GT. While in A1 at the same resolution, 2xFSAA was barely noticeable with maybe 1 Frame difference, in A2 it's 5 frames - 30 avg down to 25.

It is a bit more performance expensive than I thought, no clue why? Is it possible that the "LOW" is actually doing higher FSAA?

Using the benchmark scenario in the demo I get a 7fps penalty (GTX275, 20fps) for using

AA (any setting) with Shadows on high or verry high.

Using AA (any setting) with Shadows on normal or lower doesn't result in any fps loss what so ever (27fps).

If I disable AA I can turn shadows beyond normal without fps loss. Hope this helps you too