the single player is terrible the bugs make it unplayable

i posted a message somewhere else on here about it and got slated

interestingly one of the fanboys slating me hadnt even tried the single player

i see this as a terrible way to introduce the game to someone new to the series

multiplayer is tough to get into but very very good

the impression i have is that if you havent been with the series from the start

dont bother because the community wont help you catch up and

the campaign should be the way to get acclimatised and it fails miserably

so new players are left with a choice...battle the bugs or play online and try and learn on the fly

oh the fanboys will cry but you have the editor and user missions... ok we do but isnt that a sign? when i can download missions that work, that have been made by the community not the developers.

and besides i see those as extras to go to when bored with the main events campaign and multiplayer.

i have read a lot of abuse thrown in the direction of the cod community but i have to tell you now play through the single player of these games especially cod4 and they are like a movie, after every mission you sit back and go whoooaaa and take a big breath and reflect on the madness that has just assaulted your senses.

and not one bug in five call of dutys playing through the single player storys many times.In cod4 i played on 3 difficulty levels right through and not 1 bug....not even a small one never mind one that ruins the enjoyment or stops you completely.

i can see where the hostility comes from.

I was expecting Arma 2 to be a buggy mess before i bought it. I buy these games for the multiplayer and awesome community made mods. I won't be bothering with the campaign at all until the community has had a chance to iron out and improve it.

That being said, i am not all upset with BIS, they are still providing a great moddable platform, that looks great, and will "eventually" run great as well. There just isn't any kind of competition in the genre

Pretty much my feelings. There's years of entertainment here just on the single player and coop player mission editor...I'm playing with it right now and being totally blown away by this thing...

The campaign is...well I played it up till the Razor team goes to the third mountain top hideout and the bug kept freezing me. I even tried running away before killing all the dirty buggers in their tent and it still froze. But the helicopter transport was awesome. You just have to make sure you give it a good landing zone. Even real helicopters here in BC have bad accidents trying to land in small clearings in the forest. You can't expect to create an LZ on some logging road on a mountainside forest you know...

So what, you just accept the crap we've been given? I don't understand.

Some of the best content in OFP and ArmA came form the community, no doubt about that. But the INITIAL RELEASE of a game should in no way, under any circumstances be as buggy and shot to hell as ArmA 2 is. I'd be embarrassed if a game I worked on shipped in this state.

No...no its wasnt. In fact, I don't even think they played the missions once they built them.

UNACCEPTABLE....your customers are NO betatesters, BI! BIG SHAME ON YOU!!!!! I hope OFP 2 is better and will take its paying customers more seriously!

Without doubt the buggiest game ive ever played [campaign]...the beta tester should be shot.......but the concept and the scenerios and user created missions are Awesome!!

Its the most oddest gaming experience ive had...so much hate and love for one game...must be marmite!!

Without doubt the buggiest game ive ever played [campaign]...the beta tester should be shot

This is assuming of course that there actually was one...

I'm beginning to think there wasn't.

Look at it this way, this is a "simulator" that provides a very very good military sandbox for us all to play in, the campaign is not what the game is meant to be mainly about... All that said, I would expect it to actually work properly as a bare minimum.

Well there is no doubt that the campaign and artificial intelligence are a joke,and there can be no way on earth it was tested if it was it ,who the hell tested it Mr magoo?.

:eek:

Look at it this way, this is a "simulator" that provides a very very good military sandbox for us all to play in, the campaign is not what the game is meant to be mainly about

It's a video GAME. A game is a freakin game. If it doesn't work, it's trash. That's what the campaign is - trash. Don't try to push the editor and multiplayer as being what the game is "all about". I buy games first and foremost for their singleplayer content. Everything else is just a bonus. The fact that ArmA2's single player campaign is this f'd up, really pisses me off. There's absolutely no excuse for it.

It's a video GAME. A game is a freakin game. If it doesn't work, it's trash. That's what the campaign is - trash. Don't try to push the editor and multiplayer as being what the game is "all about". I buy games first and foremost for their singleplayer content. Everything else is just a bonus. The fact that ArmA2's single player campaign is this f'd up, really pisses me off. There's absolutely no excuse for it.

I totally agree on this as well, I buy this as a single player game period. I don't even have any interest in multiplayer. The campaign was a real draw for me and sounded very interesting, the addons and missions are a bonus. Problems this huge should have been found in alfa testing, this big of errors shouldn't even have made it into beta let alone release.

I totally agree on this as well, I buy this as a single player game period. I don't even have any interest in multiplayer. The campaign was a real draw for me and sounded very interesting, the addons and missions are a bonus. Problems this huge should have been found in alfa testing, this big of errors shouldn't even have made it into beta let alone release.

The most frustrating part for me is that their are moments of brilliance and very overall solid foundation for amazing game play - even within the campaign. But when those game breaking bugs hit, oh it burns me up.

Badlands is the biggest example of this for me personally. Commanding multiple squads of troops and taking towns was fun and very challenging... hours of effort and reloads... and finally when I pulled it off it felt so good - until it bugged out after the cut scene and now I'm stuck because the mission won't end. Just me, my squad, and 4 conquered cities chilling for eternity. So I guess that's the end of the campaign for me for now.

Exactly, millertym. The design is fantastic, but it was pulled off poorly.

Mmm... I'm stuck on Manhattan.

I've done everything aside from the main Chedaki base, and when I get there, all of the enemy AI seems to be able to spot me through hills, grass, bushes, trees, you name it - they can see through it.

My own team is mostly unresponsive, I can't heal them or give them any orders aside from fall back into formation and HEY GO HERE, etc... and they just flat out refuse to attack the enemy.

If I give them an attack order they just run blindly at the enemy until they get shot.

They also refuse to attack anything if they're in the APC... when before I went for the main base, they were going entirely fine. No issues whatsoever.

Is there any fix list or ETA on the next patch?

Or is it just 'blah blah blah when it's done'?

;1361494']Mmm... I'm stuck on Manhattan.

I've done everything aside from the main Chedaki base' date=' and when I get there, all of the enemy AI seems to be able to spot me through hills, grass, bushes, trees, you name it - they can see through it.

Is there any fix list or ETA on the next patch?

Or is it just 'blah blah blah when it's done'?[/quote']

I played with version 1.02 and encountered the same problem as you.

The only way to conclude the mission is using save/load feature very often: i used about 10 times during the final assault to the main chedaki base. Finally I got it.

Obviously with no artillery support or whatever friendly unit.

Only me and my Razor Team...

When I read the previews of Arma 2 and Dragon Rising it was the latter that excited me. I wonder if BI brought the release date forward so there would be no competition? Like everyone I am frustrated by the game and the comments - I'm only on the second mission and it looks like there's little point in continuing and I don't think I've actually shot anyone yet (my squad seem to identify and dispatch them before I even see where they are).

However all that said I do have a game to noodle around with whilst waiting for Dragon Rising and I guess that's better than nothing!

The more I play this game, the more bugs I find.

BIS, you are truly an amateur outfit. This is your 3rd game in the series and you still haven't ironed out the kinks from your first outing. You are applying new layers to an engine that never fully worked.

For the love of all that is good; for the next game, create a new engine. From scratch.

This engine is a mess. Hardly anything works as it should

I'd like to point out now that I'm in my late 20s and am a programmer by profession. I very, very rarely post on message boards and have no 'fanboy' affiliations. I'm only posting here because I am so hugely shocked at how botched this game is. I paid for this game and I reserve the right to voice my opinion.

Far be it from me to bash a game without an example, so here you have it.

I was using the editor yesterday, I put a MOVE waypoint east of an AI character not 100 meters from his starting position.

- On the first few attempts he ran straight north off a peer and into the water

Then I moved him slightly further away from the edge of the peer as a starting position.

- Now he ran in a big wide arc around where he was supposed to run.

Then he runs into the water and starts swimming for a while, only to reemerge and run another wide arc around where he was supposed to run.

What troubles me is that this is something I would have witnessed in Operation Flashpoint and it's still happening!!!. It's 2009 BIS, this is no longer excusable.

If you can't see that the editor and MP and addons are and always have been the true spirit of the game, then I'm sorry. Enjoy some other game where the campaign is good for one or two playthroughs and then you shelve it. I would rather not even have a single player campaign if it meant they could develop the core aspects of the game better.

If you can't see that the editor and MP and addons are and always have been the true spirit of the game, then I'm sorry. Enjoy some other game where the campaign is good for one or two playthroughs and then you shelve it. I would rather not even have a single player campaign if it meant they could develop the core aspects of the game better.

I believe you are 100% wrong about the "core aspect of the game". If you want multiplayer only like you said then you need to not bother with a game like this and move on to a MMO. I'm sorry to hear you can't grasp what this game is centered around and what the true spirit of it is.

The key word in the above replies is "I".

Everybody has their own beliefs on what the core of ArmAII is, some consider that to be MP COOP other consider it to be the editor, arguing is kind of pointless. :)

Back to the topic.

I can see the potential the campaign has but the bugs ruin a lot of the experience. I am on Manhattan and am having trouble with the Mi-24 pick up for that woman. Frustrating.

Indeed, everybody has their own expect of this type of game/simulation BUT if I have a look to the back of the DVD box I can read 4 different paragraphs to define what is ArmA II :

• A campaign
  • A lot a real weapons
  • Massive multiplayers conflicts
  • An editor

Unfortunately, that's not we got.

In Mission Manhattan, when I arrived at LZ for Lagushina, I received a message that I am near Chedaki Base....

By the way in that moment, If I make team switch and then come back to the Razor group leader.....

I found that Razor Leader (Cooper) has been teletransported to Manhattan Base, about 2.000 mt away from LZ !

He is inside an helicopter who does not take off :confused::confused:

So, I have encountered the "teletransport" bug....

It is not a real problem for finishining the mission, because i can easily revert to an earlier point.

But it is very bizzarre !

Agreed D O A.

Ive just poked at the campaign a little. I have so much fun things to do in this game that the campaign got bugs at this state doesnt bother me the slightest. Will play it later when its touched up a bit more. :)

For those buying ARMA2 only for its campaign, well they ofcourse should have a working one, but ARMA2 can be played in so many ways that even if something doesnt work you can do so much other missions for the time being. You might even find a favourite mission you cant stop play. Look at one single mission in the editor and is scripts and see how complex they can be - now go and look at the campaign... Its a given a smaller company like BIS cant forsee every little bug in it. Even harder when its a huge world and you can move from any angle you want - go where ever you like. That means they have to test every possible scenario. And that at the same time as they code the new game and everything that means.

Im sure it will get better soon.

Alex

We saw a lot of bugs in Arma1 and a lot of those bugs got fixed in patches.

What i have a hard time to understand is, why are a lot of those bugs back in Arma2???

i play online, on the charlie foxtrot games, but i liked the idea of single player missions were u could travel all around the map without being shot by the invisable man. The single player is a joke and the gfx looks good but it doesnt use the full power of the latest GFX cards. People keep saying "next patch will improve it" the game shouldnt need that many patches, shows how fucked it is.

Ill download the demo of dragon rising pretty sure its been tested alot more than arma 2, send arma 2 back to game.co.uk they knock some money off ofp2. Maybe BIS bit off more than they can chew. Think it pisses me off because the game could be superb, but i aint waiting for more patches.

How can you say something like this? That makes no sense what so ever. If a game offers a Single Player Campaign, it should work, be in depth and provide a story. Hence what a campaign is. If the game offers multiplayer then it should provide a multiplayer environment along with code, and levels to play that portion of the game. If the game offers a Developer Tool set then it should offer full access to the game and modifying options. That's if the game wants to be successful it needs to provide a solid solution in every area it offers.

For you to say that the game was never meant to be good in single player...? That's so stupid, then you know what BIS shouldn't advertise it on there website, they shouldn't even include it in the game. If you can't commit to what you create then don't bother... BUT if you do commit then you better provide if you want good reviews and happy customers.

I think your words are very poorly chosen, what your saying is, here is a Ferrari with a Chev. V4 cavalier motor... Well its really the body image of the car, you don't buy it because we advertise it will do 0-60 in a insane amount of time. Just look at the paint and focus your five hundred thousand on that.

Dumb-ass