Sign in to follow this  
pclipse

Online is simply "Crap"

Hey guys,

Just spent 50 for nothing....Umm...Basically I go online. No cooperation. It's just like CoD on a bigger scale. Haven't got to fly online yet. Project Reality is still dominating here. I mean. Unless you bring in a full squad and tactical assignments into this game. It won't go far..Sorry guys. I'm EXTREMELY dissappoint online-wise.

Hi pclipse

Join a Clan or play on clan Adminned public server.

The clan servers I play on all have proper team play.

Kind Regards walker

I'd ditto the above. You need to be with a group on teamspeak. Look for a clan or one of the gaming tournaments that are organized. I haven't attended one of those tournaments myself, but I have heard very good feedback.

For team's to work you really need to know the people. Hence, to really get teamwork play going you need to be with a common group.

play with tactical gamer.

you cant just quit man. especially when the game just came out. and most of the good servers arnt up yet.

try tactical gamer/shac tactical/or join a squad

Rgr. I'll join TC. I've played with them on PR. And it was great. so TC it is :) I'll see how it is.

BIS just can make the game and modders mod it either.

Not the players. Sadly.

Cause nobody thinks. You have to join a clan, or play on a controlled server. Play on a domination or evolution server and pay attention and learn. Then it's the best.

But dude. I don't want to be looking around for servers. I used to play Project Reality. The entire team works together. You can call in Air Support. Laser designate targets etc.

Also....for Capture the flag...why the hell are the flags so close to eachother. It's so dumb. But I'll join TC, see what it's like.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

sorry I meant TG

ive noticed its every man for himself in the demo.I try to incite teamwork but people are just dum and think this game is exactly the same as battlefireld 2 where you can kill anything if you get in a heli.! example of me trying is i tryed to get the helicoptet to cooperate with the teams needs while i was gunner.telling them to mark there targets(via cammander telling me to attack certain enemy so itl show up on my hud.or smoke)and when i was on ground i asked them to get smoke grenades from a box but 5 seconds later the heli crashes.Another time i was in a abrams as driver asking politely for the gunner to change to HE = high explosive against infantry.Didnt listen so i drive away from the enemy directio until he makes me eject then tries to team kill me but i get in gunner seat of tank befor he does( he switched to commander) reloaded to he and then promtly showed him it.(probsbly thought it was like battlefield 2)

This is simply the best online PC game I have ever played.

Amazing Teamwork in the server I go to. No one uses a mic but the teamwork is outstanding.

Guess its a sad story, but that only shows that a game is what you make of it. Do you expect everyone that get the game to pass some sort of pre-requisite, being an elite US Navy Seal with 50 years of experience to join a server? Uhm no... Arma 2 is just the newest hottest military game on the block. And for some reason, most people playing games are pretty much kids (or childish adults). The best you can hope for is that time will seperate those genuinly interested in the military aspect of the game and those that just got the newest and hottest.

Exactly, trying to say the game is ruined due to a lack of team work online is retarded. The lack of team work has nothing to do with the game it's self, just the people that have decided to buy the game. And as I have seen posted a few times now, these griefer's will soon leave to play the next new release which will most probably be OFP/2

A few things to think of though,

1. I can see OFP/2 having more problems with lack of team play and griefer's, due to it not having a stable community to back it up as like OFP, ArmA1/2 has.

2. Has anyone else noticed that Steam has taken on ArmA 2 while Window Live has taken on OFP2. I would take comfort from knowing that Steam is willing to put there name to Arma, remember that Steam has been in the industry for some time now and can normally tell which are the bad apples.

Project Reality public community still use a lot more communications and tactics than the public Arma community according to what I see on most multiplayer servers. People just play it as any arcadish game.

The game do can enforce some teamwork with great unit organisation, communications, tutorial, etc.

Leaving players to themselves will obviously result in mass lonewolves playing like COD.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure organised (clan) matches are very nice but I am talking about public play.

To be honest i cant see alot of hardcore BF2 fans settling in this game, even if they do find teamwork. Your probably best to wait for PR on BC2 if there making it. If you like a game so much it dosent matter if you stick with it just cuz its getting old, i still play 1942 which i happen to think is way better than BF2. Ive tried converting a whole BF2 clan over to this game, i have not been successful with one of them. Its a shame cuz i wont be playing BC2, OFP2, MW2 or any of the others because they just bore me to tears after 1 week.

Im new to ARMA and It was obvious within the first try of a multiplayer experience that this game just does not work for the arcade kiddie mentality, you can't just run around the country side like a tool fragging everything in sight, not unless you want to experience alot of respawns.

I have slowly started to find some real team play servers with proper admins ( this is the most important detail IMO - good admins/team work/v-comms) and the experience is second to none, I'm an old git, played lots of FPS games and tactical sims, this wins hands down, it's all there..you just need to find the right people with the right mentality and you will have the best gaming experience.

A few reasons why you will tend to see more team work in PR then ArmA 2 atm...

Project reality

1. PR has been out for longer and has had the time to show that team work is needed in such a game.

2. PR has a lot smaller maps, enabling players to get pinned down together a lot more, thus making them work together.

3. PR has a squad/command menu that allows the player too assign to and leave.

4. PR has a mini map that allows the players to see where their squad/commander is telling them to go.

ArmA 2

1. ArmA 2 has just came out so some people are still getting used to it.

2. ArmA 2 has a 25Km map that allows players to go any where with in that, so players can get lost and split up from their squad.

3. Arma 2 has a squad/command menu, however you don't get to pick who's with you normally, so you could have a complete numty on your squad. This doesn't stop you from finding someone that is working as a team and teaming up with them.

4. ArmA 2 has no mini map, so any orders given to you by your squad leader to move, attack or defend a target, you will have to look at the full map and then may have to use your GPS and compass to get there (which takes more time then following a nice bright coloured line).

While on an outdated engine. PR/BF2 pretty much holds players hands in squad creations. All the tools are there for the ease of teamworks, sometimes sacrificing realism. Thus even in public servers people could still be pretty organized most of times.

ArmA 2 on the other hand has only rudimentary tools for organizing. People generally don't go through the hassle of creating squads and assign roles with only minimalist teamwork tools on their disposal unless they're hardcore military geeks. Which results in little to no teamworks in most public servers.

Having a user friendly tools for squad creation/organizing is a big encouragement for people to actually try to work as a team. It worked for PR. It WILL work for ArmA 2 as well.

Hy there,

my englisch is not the best.. but I try to give my opinion here.

I play also Project Reality, and it’s really a lot of fun, the teamwork is just perfect.

But I think the main problem of arma2 are just 2 points.

1. The Map is to big, I don’t need the hole map for a mission / mulltiplyer, 1/4 would be ok. So that would mean, that tha fights are closer, and not over the hole map.

2. The Squad needs more options to interact together. I need to see where my squad is (like Project Reality), and I need for example a option to call a pickup (helli, Keep, Truck), so that the squad ore some else knows that there is someone that needs a ride.

And the other thing is, that Arma2 is just to new, a lot of people have bugs that they don’t can play by now, and in US it is still not for sale, whene the community gets bigger, the gameplay will be better.

I think there are a lot of people that where thinking arma2 is like the other shooter games, just with nice graphic. But it is not! It’s a simulation ïŠ

For me Arma2 will be better then PR, it just takes his time

PR is designed with teamplay enforcement for public games in mind. None of the persistent Arma1 missions had any of these elements in play. And since it allowed stupid gameplay, the gameplay became stupid. Stupid being run & gun with no respect for own or other players lives, and no penalties for constantly respawning etc. There was one attempt on bringing in some PR elements, but I think that was PvP mission only, and not too persistent.

What I want is a Domination type game; lasting forever, jip, pseudu random (instead of todays fully random, to lessen the logistics which now is only about getting the MHQ into place) mission generation. But with elements in place to; increase teamplay necessity, penaltize stupid players (increasing respawn times i.e.), some sort of kit/slot based equipment (to avoid 30 'snipers'), and not all that much hardware going around.

For this kind of coop, we need the full map :) In Arma1 we had Warfare on only the South Sahrani part, and the first thing that arrived was Warfare over the whole island :)

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Yeah, ARMA2 isn't ready yet, compared to PR. I'm enjoying A2 a lot, but I think I'll go back to PR for a while in hopes that A2 will get the bugs fixed and the mods in a more polished state. Things are rough right now. Also I'm not sure how long PvE is going to keep my interest. AI are just so.... predictable and flawed.

A2 needs small 4k by 4k highly detailed maps in the spirit of PR and then some tweaks to the gameplay to make it more PvP friendly. Still, ARMA2 is worth buying and there's a ton of stuff to enjoy with it.

But dude. I don't want to be looking around for servers. I used to play Project Reality. The entire team works together. You can call in Air Support. Laser designate targets etc.

Also....for Capture the flag...why the hell are the flags so close to eachother. It's so dumb. But I'll join TC, see what it's like.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

sorry I meant TG

well whats BIS gona do, they cant force people to play tactically.

well whats BIS gona do, they cant force people to play tactically.

They can facilitate it in the game's UI.

I agree with him in one aspect. Arma 2 online is crap with pugs. Project reality is good in the sense that pugs gather together and play very well together. The problem with arma 2 is, if you die, it's hard to keep the squad together, and see who else in your squad clearly.

With a clan or community designed for teamwork, arma is a fantastic game for it, you can't get much better, but with random public server players, its hard to achieve the same.

They can facilitate it in the game's UI.

You mean the mission makers can do this. IMHO it's not in BI's hands there.

+ I can bet that with maps the size of ArmA ones, PR so awesome teamplay would go out of the window rather fast