Sign in to follow this  
codenamepenryn

Find and Capture Lopotev Help (spoiler warning)

I think this mission is somehow designed not to be possible to get everything. I've tried now for the nth time. This last time:

1) Talked to Dressler and that Jarny fellow.

2) I go to Elektro, spot Bardak, and trigger the capturing. Reload, since I want to get it all. But not until I have to do it all again since now the campaign advances to the next mission, and I'm forced to restart.

3) Do the two empty sites. I always do this mission in a HMMWV M2. Medic on M2 works wonders.

4) Do the third site. Bardak is here, but I have to send in one of the guys to pick up the evidence as to not trigger the capturing.

5) I start driving back south at furious speed. Suddenly Bardak appears in front of me in his car, triggering the capturing. Damn, reload again.

6) Repeat and make it to Elektro. Find the AK but it is not evidence.

7) I continue to the quarry, and about 200m from the entrance, the game hangs.

8) Shutting it down and restarting, the game has now advanced the campaign again.

WTF?

The same kind of stuff has happened numerous times before. Mission ends with semi success by Bardak escaping, and auto advances the campaign.

Is it really ment to be this hard to actually get a high score exit from this mission?

Edit: Ok, advancing to Manhattan yet again with a presumably not fully sucessful mission, I see that we somehow captured Bardak. I'm not aware how that happened though...

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Having read the threads about this mission and after trying for 5 days and umpteen times to complete this mission with all the evidence and a successful capture of

Bardak

I don't believe it is possible in ver. 1.03. I have gotten 3/4 evidence and the 20 minute warning. Move to capture site and wait... up to 3hr. no car, no people. Completely trace, on foot, (I am that bored) all routes the car could take. No car anywhere.

I have also had 3/4 evidence got message and 13 minutes later gotten fail as he escapes.

I have reverted this mission too many times and am very frustrated that with any "fail to capture" ending the mission advances and all save games are lost REQUIRING you to completely restart the mission. For all it's "sim" potential this is still a game and players should be able to restart from any save game.

I no longer try to use Maddox and the helio as 85% of the time he crashes and kills the team. It is an unexpected suprise to have a successful flight. BI really needs to rework his AI code.

I did finally read spoilers and followed, as closely as possible since I use the M2 HMV, the pattern and still have these same issues. Does it really take playing in editor mode the finish this mission?

I don't know if I even want to try and continue playing if the rest of the missions are this difficult to complete.

Just a quick note about Maddox: he seems very clumsy in this mission (he was the main cause of me restarting it many times), but he seems to improve much in Manhattan. I did not have any crashes with him in this mission, although he can still act very weird and land quite far from where you set the LZ...but at least he stays alove, even surrounded by trees...

Maybe he had time to learn :D

Just a quick note about Maddox: he seems very clumsy in this mission (he was the main cause of me restarting it many times), but he seems to improve much in Manhattan. I did not have any crashes with him in this mission, although he can still act very weird and land quite far from where you set the LZ...but at least he stays alove, even surrounded by trees...

Maybe he had time to learn :D

I have to disagree. I used Maddox' transport very often and successful during that mission. I actually wrote a little guide with my experience from that:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=84132

I have to disagree as well. Thanks for your guide but I have personally witnessed instances when Maddox would try to land on houses, trees or electric lines when you have clearly set a LZ in an open and flat field. I think I am not the only one reporting this.

Also, contrary to what you state in your guide, I have seen Maddox take off on me at least three times as soon as my 3 mates were in, even though I was juste a couple of meters away. He took off and hovered above, the only way for me to get in would be to set a new LZ. At least for me, there is definitely counter-examples of Maddox taking off WITH guys inside (I took the habit of waiting for my 3 mates to get inside since every time I'd order to embark and went there as well, the last guy would be unable to comply, forcing me to order embark again).

I really appreciate your work and tips, but I am not the only one reporting such weir behavior, and I doubt all of us who are are noobs purposely asking a helo land on top of pine trees or mountain sides just so we can cry for bugs about it later...

Okay then, I must have been lucky. I had some issues with Maddox too (as stated in the guide), but mainly he did what I expected and the missions worked fine that way.

No worries mate, as said, your insights are greatly appreciated and will surely avoid many newcomers errors :-D

As for Maddox, well, for me he behaves much better in Manhattan which is a relief, and I did not change anything to my LZ setting style hehehehe

There was just this one weird "glitch" during which right after the Lagushina lady pick-up Maddox would systematically land right inside LZ Jersey even though I would set the LZ in neighbouring fields across the road...but at least he did not kill me.

Also, have you seen your team mates injure/kill themselves while trying to board the chopper through the rear rotor? I had to load my game again when it happened :-/

Also, have you seen your team mates injure/kill themselves while trying to board the chopper through the rear rotor? I had to load my game again when it happened :-/

Not yet, but I read that it happened to someone. On the other hand I had a team member dismount the heli and get stuck at the small rear wing opposite to the rotor. So it was just luck that he went out on the "right" side. I could order him to get into the heli again to get him out of his misery. :p

I just can't capture lopo. i've found him on the island, wasted the guards, but then he run away, swam across the sea to the mainland, follow him running until he reach the airport, then he just stand there like a fool......i'm waiting on my BMP-2 hoping that he'll surrender ang get aboard the BMP.......but he just stand there and do nothing.

.........SHOT HIM IN THE HEAD WITH MY BMP-2 CANNON AND TURN OFF MY PC!!!!!!......damn bug!

If you tickle his goulies he will throw a hissy fit - then you can arrest him for disorderly behaviour

:yay:

Glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. But I do know this ... you can't give general advice (search the Power Plant or the Quarry) because what you find differs depending on how the AI handles the sequence of events.

When I enter Staroye from the South directly from Electrovadosk, I met Olegich, but when I enter from the North, I didn't. I believe Lopotev was seen reported in a red hatchback moving to/from Shakhova, just north of Staroye.

I tried to find him in Shakhova, when I entered directly by road from the north, I was met with heavy fire from Chedaki in town. When I flanked and sneaked in through the woods, the town was quiet and filled with with unresisitive but unhelpful locals.

Searches of the powerplant came up empty, saw the gold AK, but no idea what is was for. I also saw a red rabbit hatchback in Solchiniy at the docks, but nobody around, and a friendly a local who sent me to look in the quarry for Chedaki insurgents.

I wasted 3 Chedaki in the quarry, searched the bodies looking for intel but didn't see anything about retrieveable dogtags.

Also, I wish the "Sword-whatever" (the Intel officer's codename) chat coming over the radio appears in the chat log.

Maddox driving is terrible at the beginning. He rear-ended and kept ramming a parked taxicab in Electrovadosk, and I took over driving in populated areas after he ran over and killed a Farmer Lady who was on the side of the road. When I went to try to render assistance to the poor lady, one of the options was "Hide the Body"! I hope if this is chosen the AI instantly hands Cooper a dishonorable discharge from the United States Marine Corps and a one-way ticket to Leavenworth!

Like everyone else, finished the mission, but Lopotev got away. I found the character's speech sound comes and goes at different points in the mission (I'm at Combined Ops 1.07/1.55). Also I think its kind of funny how the Marine voice acting characters accents vary from Ebonic/Afro-American (very authentic) to obviously English to what sounds like a hint of South African English. A Hispanic accent would probably be more authentic in the mix. Are voice actors really that expensive? I'd do it for free if I thought I could do a decent job. Also, what language are the Chernarussians speaking? Is it Russian?

Edited by MissionCreep

@MissionCreep You can find Swordsman's chatlog under Shaftoe.

What I hate about this is that you don't know whether something is working like it should, or if its a bug. When I approached the Quarry, my squad immediately takes out all of the Chedaki there, except one, who manages to escape by running up the impossibly steep cliff face. Cooper says his line about spotting 3 men at the "cottage", but being able to identify them. After moving in closer to the quarry, Cooper then contradicts himself by saying that there is nobody in the Quarry. ???

I only attempted this mission once. I wanted to go back and try again, but as someone pointed out already, for some stupid reason, once the campaign advances, you lose your savepoints. I was in Solnichniy when I got the 20min mission, so I drove to Shakhovka, then from there took the most direct route to Gorka, but I didn't spot any red hatchbacks. Once I arrived in Gorka (which I'm quite sure was under 20 minutes), I got the message that he had escaped.

Quite disappointing really. I had only managed to check one of the camps and the Quarry prior to that. I was hoping I would have more chance to explore the island before the game forced the campaign to advance on me without being able to recover my saves! :mad:

Manhattan lets you take your time, but I've finished all the obvious leads and now I'm just wandering around the country.

Greetings, been a long time.

Hoping to give the ultimate solution for this misison.

I've found an almost certain and easy way of finishing this mission (at least if you plan only to catch Bardak).

Won't go into detail.

After playing it for many hours and reading many posts, it seems to me that the mission is randomized, but there are some predictable parts.

I think the mission works like this: at mission start Bardak is around Pusta. Then he visits all three evidence spots in random order. Once he's done, he goes to Shakhovka. Then you get the 20min message. He usually makes the trip much shorter than 20 mins. Say about 5-7mins.

Another thing: it seems that Bardak decides his whole route at mission start. So you can play the EXACT mission and Bardak will behave the same. BUT if you press restart/revert whatever, Bardak will have a new random route. So it's good to save the mission after listening to the briefing (and remember the save time, so you won't overwrite it).

So, about the execution:

Bardak is close at mission start, but you have to listen to the briefing. In the meantime he gets to a crossroad and you don't know where he goes. After the briefing, I suggest speaking with Dressler. It's probable that there are some triggers if you speaking to him.

The easy but boring way (no evidence, just catching Bardak):

Get the Humvee at the base or take a heli ride to Gorka, go to the road south of Gorka. There is a hill and the road bends. From there you will se from far if Bardak comes. Prepare an ambush and he will come around 12:20. So you probably have to wait about 35-40 minutes.

The harder but complete way (someone already described this solution):

At start go to Dressler, pick the golden AK at the Elektrozavodsk plant, get the dog tags at the quarry, get the maps at the castle, get the photos at the northern most camp and go to Gorka. If you're fast enough, you'll be at Gorka before 12:15. Prepare the ambush like in the easy version. There is also a chance you'll meet him in one of the key places, or in your travels (but then you won't have all the evidence).

There are possible problems though:

You wait at Gorka for ages and no 20min message appears. Bardak got stuck in his travels (thanks to the great driving AI). 2 choices: restart or travel all the roads between the evidence spots and you'll find him probably crashed at some tree. I advise restart in this case.

If you get the 20min message, but Bardak doesn't appear, travel the road from Gorka to Shakhorka and you'll find him stuck somewhere along the road.

If you get a mission fail saying that Bardak got away, you got to Gorka's south road too late. You need to be there before circa 12:15.

And you can't catch Lopotev. (which is already known)

I hope this helps people like me who struggled to finish it.

Bye

kutya

Great research work kutya!

I especially liked the detailed route for Bardak.

I have done some reserch for this mission more than most people too, but still these things are without answer for me:

I tried to talk to all people in Staroye area and the on the roads leading away from there and no-one talked to me. Like said above NAPA partisan Olegich should be in Staroye What does this guy look like and can anyone provide GPS COORS?

When visiting southern most red X in map at GPS COORS 111112 those 4 marines standing there will not talk to me. Is that normal?

In UAV + map mode you can see all friendly units and some enemy units UAV has a visual to. There is one friendly infantry unit in GPS COORS 000000 (which must be a mission design error). Anyone ever travelled that far to see what is there?

Edited by Hanzu