Sign in to follow this  
Mortal-K

Missile Speeds...

Hey guys, I have been enjoying playing arma 2 so far, but I noticed this and found it really anoying... Id like to share my test results from editer.

(This was done with the missiles fired at a static tank either 1000m or 2000m approx depending on aircraft) Also I dont think the game can handle mach numbers scaleing with altitude so I just took it from sea level.

Weapon RL Speed Ingame Speed

AGM-65 Maverick Mach 0.93 (1,139.25 kph) 533.33 kph~

AGM-114 Hellfire Mach 1.3 (1,592.5 kph) 533.33 kph~

Kh-29(Ch-29 Ingame) Mach 1.19 (1,470 kph) 533.33 kph~ (slows very quickly, fire it in a straight line and you can catch up with it in a Su-25, Its Also an Anti Ship/Structure Missile so I dont know why you have it ingame as Anti Armor)

S-8 (S-8KOM ?) Mach 1.79 (2,196 kph) 1800 kph~

9M120 Ataka-V Mach 1.61 (1,980 kph) 1440 kph~

9K114 Shturm Mach 1.01 (1242 kph) 1440 kph~

I may seem a little pernickety but its anoying when your fighting a SAM and your missile takes like a min to get to the target and the AA missile takes seconds. Ive not tested the AA missiles ingame but im going to guess they will be incorrect as well.

Perhaps you can adjust the speeds in a future patch.

Thanks

Good catch, its like the numbers were taken from some ones @$$...

yes i have noticed this as well, also the bombs seems to fall quite slowly as well.

yes i have noticed this as well, also the bombs seems to fall quite slowly as well.

This might be correct for the bombs, if they are retarded (not as in stupid, but delayed by aerodynamic measures :D). But seeing that many numbers in speed are incorrect, I don't doubt that they are a few kph off too...

Good catch, its like the numbers were taken from some ones @$$...

Maybe yours?

Hopefully BIS will take notice and tweak some numbers. If not - hey ACE crew! :)

Alex

What's up with this stupid dependence on modders?

Id agree with ace being a last resort. Arma 2 is ment to be fairly realistic in vanillia these speeds are just so wrong you cant defend them. BI should fix it not modders.

I noticed that the PKT from the MI-8 is firing subsonic rounds. I wonder if it is a related problem?

I put a post in the Physics section about "closing speed", asking whether it was implemented in ArmA 2.

you seem to forget the scale here view distance is a limiting factor, engagements are always at very close distance compared to what they would be in real life and i think this is the reason BIS tweaked the speed.

you seem to forget the scale here view distance is a limiting factor, engagements are always at very close distance compared to what they would be in real life and i think this is the reason BIS tweaked the speed.

What, like we might be more able to dodge a missile? Why should we be able to?

"The scale" in every Operation Flashpoint and ArmA game has been "upwards scaleable". The "scale" isn't set in stone. It is limited by your computer system.

There is absolutely no reason for anything less than realistic speeds (AS ADVERTISED) for all projectiles in the game. Enough of those action shooters with their turtle-slow RPG's!

Then why would the they make the S-8 or Shturm so much faster than the Maverick or Hellfire?

This is ment to be realistic, we have 10k views from aircraft why would we want missiles that travel at snail speed when we could have actual values...

We dont need scaling - and even if weapons and missiles had to be scaled due to game limitations - they could be scaled much better and closer to their RL values than what they at right now.

May I also bring up again the issue of the Russians not actually having a true ATG missile for AT purposes on there winged aircraft the Ch-29 (Kh-29) is like a rocket propelled bomb (320Kg warhead) for destroying perhaps a Factory or a Bridge or even a Ship. Hence the size of the damn thing! :eek:

Are the sidewinder missiles too fast whether it be player fired or? it looks super fast, if it's that fast in real life, :eek:

The sidewinder missiles are designed to shoot down jet fighters so they must be very fast. They seem to have a top speed of mach 2.5 (3000 km/h).

(This was done with the missiles fired at a static tank either 1000m or 2000m approx depending on aircraft)

How did you calculate this? distance to target / time to target?

If so, your conclusions are wrong, since the engine also simulates accelleration and coast time too. If you did calculate according to distace over time, then you would also have to take into account the time taken for the missile to accelerate off the rail to its top speed, meaning that the missiles may well be travelling at the correct top speed.

If, however, you are measuring the actual speed at the terminal stage of flight, then you are correct and the values are wrong.

How did you calculate this? distance to target / time to target?

If so, your conclusions are wrong, since the engine also simulates accelleration and coast time too. If you did calculate according to distace over time, then you would also have to take into account the time taken for the missile to accelerate off the rail to its top speed, meaning that the missiles may well be travelling at the correct top speed.

If, however, you are measuring the actual speed at the terminal stage of flight, then you are correct and the values are wrong.

You are correct that it was just a simple distance/time calculation, I know there is time taken to accelerate. The point of my post was to show that the missiles will never reach there RL speed even if its flight time is across 10km.

Have you tried flying beside a Kh-29 ingame? Do you believe they fly at this speed?

You are correct that it was just a simple distance/time calculation, I know there is time taken to accelerate. The point of my post was to show that the missiles will never reach there RL speed even if its flight time is across 10km.

Have you tried flying beside a Kh-29 ingame? Do you believe they fly at this speed?

Right, and using your method, you cannot tell what speed they reach, only the average speed they travelled at. The is no top speed information to be gained by that test.

I think you might be able to make a script that records the top speed, or even gives you data points for a graph.

Edited by Max Power

I'd want realistic speeds as well,BIS could implement that at the same time as they enlarge the draw distance.. :D

The Kh-29 actually decelerates until it stops and starts flying slowly backwards.

Picking BIS over this is hardly fair, and I agree with Sam75, sometimes realism has to be tweaked a little to avoid stupid things happening ingame.

Example .... high ingame object speeds cause playability issues with MP.

One reason its unfair;

In just 5 minute on Google I found all these references to the speed of the AGM-114 Hellfire;

- Mach 1.7

- Mach 1.1

- unavailable ( LOL )

- supersonic

- 425 m/s (950 mph)

- Mach 1.4

- Mach 1.3

So ... who do you believe? (knowning that for example US forces and weapons contractors do openly admit some weapons specs are deliberately "adjusted" to avoid OPFOR parties from fully understanding/reverse the technology and the defence)

Gnat;1375296']Picking BIS over this is hardly fair' date=' and I agree with Sam75, sometimes realism has to be tweaked a little to avoid stupid things happening ingame.

Example .... high ingame object speeds cause playability issues with MP.

One reason its unfair;

In just 5 minute on Google I found all these references to the speed of the AGM-114 Hellfire;

- Mach 1.7

- Mach 1.1

- unavailable ( LOL )

- supersonic

- 425 m/s (950 mph)

- Mach 1.4

- Mach 1.3

So ... who do you believe? (knowning that for example US forces and weapons contractors do openly admit some weapons specs are deliberately "adjusted" to avoid OPFOR parties from fully understanding/reverse the technology and the defence)[/quote']

I wouldn't have complained at all if they in-game values would be anywhere around any of those values, but it is currently not even close.

There are different speeds specified probably because the speed depends on what height the missile is fired from and/or other factors, and each source did its averaging in a somewhat different manner. But having the in-game at 1/3 of the real speed is a joke, assuming even the acceleration time shouldn't put it THAT far off.