Sign in to follow this  
HeinBloed

GDTMod_HDR

I just checked the mod (can't test it yet). From what I understand it doesn't deal with brightness changes due to season? 0600 differs greatly wrt available light during the summer and winter if you know what I mean.

What it needs is manually setting the HDR level, unfortunately both for day and for night modes. For night it would be a gain control on the device. On day, it would be squinting your eyes or using sun shades. Fixed NVGs by time means harrasement illumination mission become too problematic. Autogain causes the current problems. Adjustable gain can be lived with both in terms of harrasement illumination missions and the lightsources that are causing problem.

Single player compatibility is a must :) For ideas, look at how ACE1 solved this.

From what I've heard, using NVGs in real life is not as easy as it is portrayed in the game:

* Inability to use normal sights

* IR Laser is a requirement to aim, but only at shorter distances

* Limited range compared to Arma

* Limited resolution

* Limited field of view

Great points, but you forgot battery life :D

@HeinBloed

Please could you update this addon since now there is CBA (XEH) available?

@heinbloed

please could you update this addon since now there is cba (xeh) available?

+1 +1 ;)

Excellent Thanks!

Had to use this mod in ArmA1 - thought ArmA2 was cured to till a mission last night!

Installed this and sorted again -now with a better GUI !:yay:

Yeah a new version would be great. Might be wise to wait for 1.03 though

The readme leaves a lot to be desired for those of ust that havent' installed a BIS game addon for 7 years if ever.

Suggested Readme additions:

Place all files within ..\Arma 2\@gdtmod_hdr\Addons\ -- missing theAddons Folder as far as I can tell

default key is 'Home'

The readme leaves a lot to be desired for those of ust that havent' installed a BIS game addon for 7 years if ever.

Suggested Readme additions:

Place all files within ..\Arma 2\@gdtmod_hdr\Addons\ -- missing theAddons Folder as far as I can tell

default key is 'Home'

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&cid=3#Q:18

Edited by CrazyAce
never mind Im an idiot

Leave it in the file/folder it came in.

Just drag the 'userconfig' folder into your arma2 directory.

Thanx Claw, Im an idiot :D

Man this auto save on mission exit crap is a pain in the ass. I can't even load a LAN game, so not only does this mod not work for the campaign, but also the LAN games are affected...

Edited by CrazyAce

Changelog 1.01

- Enhanced compatibility for Key activation by using displayAddEventHandler "KeyUp". For Example: Compatible with the Arma 2 integrated HALO function.

- Alternative start via actionmenu added.

- Using Extended Eventhandlers (XEH).

- Fixed: Single player: Loading a savegame will crash the game.

Thank you!

Edited by Manzilla

Well, that's quite a nice work but you actually completely removed HDR.

I mean, in HDR the D is for Dynamic. There is no auto adjustement of lightning when you put or take off NVG for example, you have to adjust it by yourself. Your mod is simply putting the lightning at a certain level.

I like the fact that putting off my NVG will make me see nothing for a couple of seconds. But with your addon, I will see black forever if I don't adjust it by myself, quite troublesome in a fight I think :(

Still a good idea to get rid off this HDR sometimes really too much present ( like sunset or sunrise ).

Edited by M4Mkey

- Fixed: Single player: Loading a savegame will crash the game.

Mate you have now produced a fixed mod for this game!

EDIT: Thought it was odd the config wasn't pointing to "DTA" folder and having to put it in the root folder .. but hey it works anyay, great job.

Edited by mrcash2009

How do you use this? The instructions are awful.

I think 1.03 patch is causing this mod to function strange.

I have had it running fine, patched to 1.03 then all my brightness was really out of sync to what i'm used to. All my config settings as they were with my brightness and gamma etc nothing changed apart from patching. Also I found a fps hit and slow down with what looks like realy intense HDR glow all over (stupidly intense white glow form clouds and sky around building). I was turning my brightness down from 1.1 right down to silly levels of 0.2 (gamma 0.5) and in the sun it was still overly bright and then obviously really dark in cloudy weather plus this then made the compass etc on map really dark. Also looking at the floor made the HDR flip to an intense bright color burn and not gradual either. Its like its reversing the process and intensifying everything 10 fold.

First I assumed it was the patch, then I disabled this mod and its all back to normal at my normal brightness settings and the FPS was back.

Im not sure what else to add to it, maybe other with nvida cards can maybe check this out now with the 1.03 patch. Either way I can repeat the problem by simply loading back with HDR mod, strange.

I notice this relies on CBA to a point and CBA is having a strange cyclic pause issue, I wonder if thats having an effect on this mod via 1.03 also?

Edited by mrcash2009

I can't help you with the brightness problem. I don't have this, and i don't know anyone who has this. Neither Nvidia nor ATI card users.

But i have the FPS drop too. Some other players have the FPS drop too and others again don't notice any FPS changes (with the key variation, see below).

I've made some tests.

I got the FPS drop only with the key variation (starting the menu via key). With the actionmenu variation (starting the menu via actionmenu) i have definitely no FPS drop on every scenario.

FPS test with the key variation:

scenario / FPS without any addons / FPS with this addon / FPS drop

1 114 88 -23%

2 103 57 -45%

3 39 34 -13%

4 45 33 -27%

Yesterday i installed the new extended eventhandler version from CBA_v0-1-3 (I'm using only the extended eventhandler from CBA).

FPS test after upgrading extended eventhandler to CBA_v0-1-3:

scenario / FPS without any addons / FPS with this addon / FPS drop

1 114 111 -3%

2 103 84 -18%

3 39 39 0%

4 45 45 0%

There is still a FPS drop, but only on high FPS levels.

Conclusion: CBA_v0-1-3 is required to run with Arma 1.03.

I have CBA 0.1.3 and its still the same (yes the pausing is fixed and FPS normal).

If I have it vanilla its normal brightness (for me) 1.1 gamme 0.3 and as normal all is well.

If I simply add the mod and load into game instantly the white glow is far more intense (not touching any values in my settings) that in order to get it less over glow I literally bring brightness down to 0.5 and then most others things using shadows are obviously then far too dark.

Also I loaded a mission played it and used HDR (still with wrong brighness) ... so I then exited and then loaded the mission I edited, then this time the brightness all over looked like I was wearing shades and I needed to then turn its value stupidly high to even see things remotely normal ... its real weird. I understand the default values from the menu that pops up and using the mouse wheel, but its like its all out of kilter and making things far too intense.

One thing I did from the patch recommendations is install the latest direct X update as of march 2009 (Im using XP32) ... now, it "might" be that, has anyone else patched to 1.03 and updated direct x and have everything looking fine with the mod?

All else is cool but I simply cant use HDR mod something kicking its values right in the head.

For the record before 1.03 and DX update (not sure if DX is at fault "yet") everything was fine at my set brightness values / gamma settings that I never change + this mod. Simply removing it and not touching any values in config everything is normal again, its like its upping the glow 10 fold by default when loaded.

Edited by mrcash2009

You can test if the setAperture command (which is used by this addon, and is changing the brightness) is working correctly:

Start ArmA vanilla and place a unit in the editor on Utes with this in the init line:

setAperture 40

On my system on Utes (with the default editor setting) 40 is the value which brings the same brightness like the ArmA HDR.

A higher value (number) will decrease and a lower value will increase the brighness.

I am having issues,i am using the steam version of arma. I installed the mod, and when i went to load into the game i received a message saying

Addon 'GDTModHDR' requires addon 'Extended_Event Handlers'

can anyone please help me?? I am patched to 1.03

also with the other GDT NVG Fullsceen mod, it only displays it in 4:3. on my widescreen display i get side bars....anyway to eliminate that?

I have wide screen and NVG views fine (16:9 for me) ... oops im using the non full screen with black surround haven't tried the full screen version.

As regards even handlers you need that for it to work, its part of the CBA addon pack (including even handlers) to use this and more mods will come out depending on it (its a must have part of mods basically).

Grab and install here : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78622

Maker it top priority in your mod order list (last in the chain).

awesome thank you, so wait, were you saying in your 16:9 it works for you?? i get nasty sidebars in mine....

16:9 is fine BUT ... im not using "full screen" NVG im using the version with the black surround/scope effect.

Havent been using this too much or A2 for a bit and I notice I was the last person to post .. so im here again :)

I still have issue with the brightness that ive posted, running vanilla 1.03 and now 1.04 is blinding some parts of the day, but I will still tweak.

The main reason I post is its been a while ive bothered saving missions, realy just playing via editor then exiting without saves. Ive just realised that this mod for me (1.03 and now 1.04) always crashes when loaded a save game. I fully tested vanilla and just this mod and any mission if i exit and save, then resume ... bam CTD without fail. Remove the mod and all is well.

Anyone else having this? Its weird I assume it was fixed but wont work here.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Ok ... seems I didn't have latest version, older one was tucked in my mod folder, removed old installed new. I now have no strange brightness issues ... good. Save test now works fine without crash, and loads back ok ... fine.

But ... I cant get it back after the save has loaded so HDR is back to normal and home key not working .... not having much luck here. Can anyone confirm that in SP they can save and resume again later and the menu stays active and you can use everything ok?

Im using latest CBA with it and vanilla with just this addon to test using 1.04 currently.