Sign in to follow this  
GIGENE

Demo performance versus Retail/Final?

I agree.

The demo played the same as the full game.

I am playing it on a Toshiba X300 laptop with Vista 64, I get 15 to 20 FPS on high-ish settings.

It's a good laptop but I was surprised it is so playable.

Best game ever made.

Cheers.

BB.

Good to know :) get 19fps in benchmark :D

also

I get some black lines on the left and right of my screen even though i play at the monitor resolution. Is that the demo or is it just my monitor?

Hmm, seen as the demo missions contain hardly any AI on a small island, I would think that a single core would hate the Campaign in the actual game. I struggle to get a playable framerate in the cities and many of the villages with a 2.66ghz Dual Core - on the Scenarios, such as those found in the demo, and custom missions, I get upwards of 40fps. I'm staying off the campaign for the time being becuase it's almost unplayable, instead playing in the editor and through the ported OPF missions.

The full game runs better than demo for me as well.

Good Job Bis

Same here, full game seems to run a little better than the demo.

But, that could be purely subjective thing, since I have full game now, instead only the demo. ;) :p

The game runs the same for me, the only difference being in Chernarus, which runs much slower than the demo (damn those red trees!!). This can probably be attributed to the fact that Chernarus is 10x bigger in the real game.

Edited by LJF

okay so I have played the demo for a while and like it but I don't know how the retail game is going to run on my computer.

This there a difference between the Demo and Retail version of this game when it comes to FPS?

Right now with the demo I get 29FPS to 40fps on the first mission, and 35 to 60 on the 2nd mission. Demo benchmark is 32fps

As you might have guessed "LOL" that's with a lot of the settings on low or normal, but its good enough for me.

System

AMD 6400+ X2 3.22Ghz

2GB OCZ 800

BFG 8800GT OC2

Windows XP 32bit

1400X1050 (LOL ya I know)

I know my system is weak, but it does what I need it to do for now, I can play everything I need it to on full for the most part. I kinda wanna wait tell the next gen cards and CPU's come out before I upgrade and hope the price drops "damn Canadian prices"

My computer only has to play AA3, Far cry 2 and iRacing so that goes to show why I don't really wanna upgrade.

Anyways thanks.

I noticed a drop from probably 60fps down to about 40 or so I think between the demo and the full game, this is only due to the island size however, I'm pretty sure performance wise they are identical if you test them on UTES.

Retail runs worse just because it has way more units and skins than the demo, also the missions are a lot bigger with more AI.

Your system ain't that bad. I think it'll run alright for you, at least on low/normal-ish settings, maybe even better. You beat the official recommended specs by a decent margin at least.

I have not played the demo so couldn't say.

I just installed the full game yesterday and so far its running pretty much the same as the demo, but now with some higher settings.

Not sure where this thread goes, but I figured I'd give it a try. I downloaded the ArmA 2 demo and the game concept is fun and all - but it's practically unplayable. The input lag is atrocious. Even in the benchmark it says I'm getting 30+ FPS, I can barely navigate around due to the game's laggy nature. For shits and giggles, I set everything to lowest except for my resolution, and there's still a hint of mouse lag. How do I fix this? I get 50+ FPS on Crysis on high settings. I don't see why this game should run so poorly.

- Running Windows XP SP3, just reformatted last week.

- 4GB if RAM

- E8400 @ 3.5 ghz

- 9800GTX Overclocked

I couldn't imagine this game ever working for the 360.

Edited by t1337Dude

i think that mouse lag u r experiencing is a bug\glitch\error\boo-boo. it shouldnt be there if the game works fine.

personally i dont get 30 FPS all the time but even when im down at 25 i dont get mouse lag.

some ppl get it and some don't.

i hope that those who do will be able to help u out cuz i sure cant. sorry.

It sounds as if something is not working the way it should. If you realy want to put effort into it go check out some of the threads that deal with the demo and graphic issues. To fight this mouse lag you can increase the mouse floating untill you find a better solution.

Mouse lag may be simple lack of knowledge of the floating zone function, or maybe an issue on your end. I hope you can fix it, as for me the full game is perfect.

As far as this whole crysis thing goes, everyone seems to go on about how they max crysis at 50-60fps. I don't know if you meant high, or maxed, but i have never heard of a pc with your specs achieving anywhere near an average of 50fps in crysis, maybe reconsider what you said.

Also, Arma 2 is not crysis, you can't compare it.

I am sorry to sound so harsh, it's just there are alot of these threads and i get a little frustrated with people going on about how they max crysis at such high frame rates, but can't get high fps in arma 2.

I get an average of 30fps in crysis completely maxed including 8xaa, and an average of 60fps in arma 2, not maxed, but on just as beautiful settings. I think arma 2 is simply a more complex game that requires more.

Regards,

Rich.

Demo benchmark is a cheat anyways since it´s playing on a very tiny part of the original island/map.

Teh full chernarus puts alot more stress on any system.

edit: I´ve got a similar system to the thread starters (8800GT / e8200 @3.2) and ArmA2 is nowhere as performant as ArmA1 was, even with all the bells & whistles on lowest settings or shut off (AA, AF, PP, Terrain Detail).

Sometimes im wondering if it was a dream when in heard/read in a pre-release interview that ArmA2 will run would be running better than ArmA1 on the same rig :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr Burns

As far as this whole crysis thing goes, everyone seems to go on about how they max crysis at 50-60fps. I don't know if you meant high, or maxed, but i have never heard of a pc with your specs achieving anywhere near an average of 50fps in crysis, maybe reconsider what you said.

I clearly said run Crysis on High, 1680x1050. Many PCs have been able to do this with no problems since early 2008. Perhaps you misread what I wrote.

And as for it being a problem with my computer - the demo does the exact same thing on my 2nd computer, which is an E5200 (@3.2ghz), 3GB of RAM, and a Radeon 4850. So I have a hard time believing it's my two specific computers.

I'm not asking for amazing settings. I just want my native resolution, and low/medium (which is kind of a joke considering I breeze through any other game). But ArmA 2 can't even seem to give me that.

I am tempted to write a huge ass guide for new Arma 2 users that contains all explanations about bugs, controls, graphics, gameplay aspects and why this game is the way it is AND WHY YOU SHOULD LOVE IT!

But it's too much work... and to be honest I don't think anyone will read it anyway.

Op if you have the time read around the forums. All the things you mentioned are pretty common here and most have been answered already. The Arma series were always plagued by problems and tweaking as well as working for solutions collectively in the game community IS NOW PART OF THE GAME!

I know it shouldn't be but that's the way it is and there ain't anybody that can do anything about it. Forget everything you know about mainstream gaming. Arma is like those toys you put together for weeks... but you will enjoy it for years. Trust me.

Whether it is an issue with your machine not acting nice with ARMA2 or not, the performance you get in the demo will be the performance you will get in the full version...until we see major improvements in the coming patches.

You were warned :)

Don't listen to the others who don't seem to have played Crysis at all or something. I have a machine with much less power than yours and can run nearly ever setting on high with great framerates. Your machine should be fine to run ARMA2, it is just highly unoptimized right now, which is being worked at, when that will be done, I don't know.

Mouse lag may be simple lack of knowledge of the floating zone function, or maybe an issue on your end. I hope you can fix it, as for me the full game is perfect.

Also, Arma 2 is not crysis, you can't compare it.

I am sorry to sound so harsh, it's just there are alot of these threads and i get a little frustrated with people going on about how they max crysis at such high frame rates, but can't get high fps in arma 2.

I get an average of 30fps in crysis completely maxed including 8xaa, and an average of 60fps in arma 2, not maxed, but on just as beautiful settings. I think arma 2 is simply a more complex game that requires more.

Regards,

Rich.

Even the fastest PCs going (4Ghz i7, Tri/Quad SLI etc) can't run Crysis @ 1920 x 1200 at much over 50 FPS or 1680 x 1050 at much over 70 FPS. I've posted on this before (with links).

Keep in mind that the machines they were using to get that 50/70 FPS were the best you can buy and then OC'd quite substantially.

Eth

Even the fastest PCs going (4Ghz i7, Tri/Quad SLI etc) can't run Crysis @ 1920 x 1200 at much over 50 FPS or 1680 x 1050 at much over 70 FPS. I've posted on this before (with links).

Keep in mind that the machines they were using to get that 50/70 FPS were the best you can buy and then OC'd quite substantially.

Eth

Cool information, but hardly relevant. :p

I clearly said run Crysis on High, 1680x1050. Many PCs have been able to do this with no problems since early 2008. Perhaps you misread what I wrote.

And as for it being a problem with my computer - the demo does the exact same thing on my 2nd computer, which is an E5200 (@3.2ghz), 3GB of RAM, and a Radeon 4850. So I have a hard time believing it's my two specific computers.

I'm not asking for amazing settings. I just want my native resolution, and low/medium (which is kind of a joke considering I breeze through any other game). But ArmA 2 can't even seem to give me that.

Hmm. Actually, you cannot give yourself that apparently. Most of us get along fine. Then the newbs come over and bitch about how Arma 2 sucks, is terrible, etc... When they won't seem to give it the time of day apparently. It is not a 'mainstream gaming' kind of game. I have never had any kind of mouse lag in it on my system, many people don't complain about it because they never had it. This is probably on YOUR END. Not Arma's considering. (Yes it should be optimized better, but this a full head and shoulders above any other game out there currently. I'm willing to give up amazing performance on the get-go for great and unique gameplay.)

Oh and the Crysis benchmark seems to be abit of a joke. (I don't know if you used that) I get about 20FPS higher in that than most places in the game with maxed out settings.

Arma 2's benchmark is also abit of a joke. Don't go by that. Use fraps or some equivalent, then check ingame.

Try turning Vsync off for starters. If your feeling in the mood, check the optimization threads around.

If you've played the other games of this series and enjoy them, then stick with Arma 2 and make it work. With this game you will either 'hate it or love it'. It will provide better gameplay than anything if you enjoy it.

Finally the game currently is very particular on a 'per system' basis. Different systems that are nearly the same performance wise in other games could have a huge gap between their performance in Arma 2. Sometimes even systems which are almost identical perform differently.

Hmm. Actually, you cannot give yourself that apparently. Most of us get along fine. Then the newbs come over and bitch about how Arma 2 sucks, is terrible, etc... When they won't seem to give it the time of day apparently. It is not a 'mainstream gaming' kind of game. I have never had any kind of mouse lag in it on my system, many people don't complain about it because they never had it. This is probably on YOUR END. Not Arma's considering. (Yes it should be optimized better, but this a full head and shoulders above any other game out there currently. I'm willing to give up amazing performance on the get-go for great and unique gameplay.)

Oh and the Crysis benchmark seems to be abit of a joke. (I don't know if you used that) I get about 20FPS higher in that than most places in the game with maxed out settings.

Arma 2's benchmark is also abit of a joke. Don't go by that. Use fraps or some equivalent, then check ingame.

Try turning Vsync off for starters. If your feeling in the mood, check the optimization threads around.

If you've played the other games of this series and enjoy them, then stick with Arma 2 and make it work. With this game you will either 'hate it or love it'. It will provide better gameplay than anything if you enjoy it.

Finally the game currently is very particular on a 'per system' basis. Different systems that are nearly the same performance wise in other games could have a huge gap between their performance in Arma 2. Sometimes even systems which are almost identical perform differently.

This community seems so dead set on the "hate it" or "love it" concept. So black and white to you guys. I like the gameplay, but hate the game's optimization. I honestly would love to go ahead and spend money on the game, but I can't do that knowing the game is going to lag even at modest settings.

And another thing. I know it's not just me. I played the demo with my clan, all with with systems varying from medium end to ridiculously high end. We all had the same complaint : poor optimization and input lag.

I was hoping maybe there's some odd thing I can change in the game's configuration, or some setting that bugged the game out that I could change, and all would be well.

Cool information, but hardly relevant. :p

Very relevant as YOU chose to try and use it as a comparison.

:p