Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

I've been getting bad Z-fighting in the latest betas of OA, but didn't think it was driver related. Can anyone else confirm?

Has anyone else gotten this one with the latest drivers;

Faulting application name: arma2oa.exe, version: 1.60.89.647, time stamp: 0x4f427109

Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 8.17.12.9573, time stamp: 0x4f34782e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x001b9c9d

Faulting process id: 0xff8

Faulting application start time: 0x01ccfa4eb049d586

Faulting application path: K:\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll

Report Id: f9cab7b7-6641-11e1-83a4-001cc018af52

After that crash, A2 will not work, it just uses 50% of cpu and hangs. Reboot fixes it. Got it 2 times yesterday. I have 560 Ti and Windows 7 64bit.

Edited by Atkins

What driver do you have? Ive got ver 295.73, the exact same GPU, OS and havent seen this, yet.

Edit: I can confirm some pretty bad z-fighting now, didnt think about it before.

Edited by DanielV

I am running the latest drivers as well. Haven't noticed, yet, z-fighting, well more than before...

Edited by Atkins

Hello guys, does anyone of you know a solution for this problem?

My FPS are quite good with my Nvidia GTX 260 - I get up to 60 FPS in some occasions and the performance is steady.

But then suddenly I can hear my card slowing down (I hear the fan getting slower) and at that moment the performance drops to 10-15 FPS.

I tried all tweaks and settings in the first post.

Using ATITools I discovered that when the card reaches a temperature of approx. 85, it slows down (FPS drop) until it gets some degrees cooler (approx. 81), then it goes back to normal performane (FPS rise again).

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: I should add that this only happens in Arma. The other day I played Skyrim for about 8 hours and didn't have this problem once.

I would say the first thing to do is check for dust build up in the Card's Heatsink/ Fan area. 85 is quite hot , but not too hot. The card should slow itself down at 105c.

You need to install rivatuner then go to power user ... look for nvidia/overclocking then put "enableforceperflevel" ON

then go to where you overclock your card (on rivatuner) and set all performance levels to "3d performance" then restart your comp.

I will get you a detailed tutorial when i get to home :D

Anyone having any good reviews with latest Nvidia Driver 295 series? I currently have 285.63 but I'm having an issue that my Nvidia Control Panel won't open....so I may look to upgrade to latest drivers (but have heard some bad reviews). I'm running an GTX 590 card.

Also, what is Z-fighting I've heard mentioned above??

All games use some thing called LOD (Level of Detail) for the objects in the game. Objects in the game world (a house, or a tree, or a tank etc) have multiple Levels Of Detail to save computing resources. Obviously you wouldn't want a house that is 500m away to have the same amount of detail as 50m away. So the object swaps between these different Levels Of Detail depending on how close you are to them. The different levels of detail of the object (normally about three levels of detail per model? Not sure exactly how many) change things like the geometry (a house for example: chimney on a roof, 3d window frame, TV aerial) and also the textures (different resolution depending again on your distance to the object)

Z- Fighting is where an object (mostly) in the distance flicks between two different resolutions of the objects texture. You see it as a distracting flickering/glitching of the texture. It happens a lot when using the zoom feature in Arma, as lot of objects are swapping between their different texture LODs. It can also be where you see one of the Low resolution textures coming partially through the high resolution texture, even though you are not moving at all.

Like this:

http://www.zeuscmd.com/tutorials/opengl/images/15-PolygonOffset02.jpg

^ You might see that effect on a texture on the side of house when you are over looking a town with a sniper rifle in Arma, for example.

Edited by -=seany=-

I would say the first thing to do is check for dust build up in the Card's Heatsink/ Fan area. 85 is quite hot , but not too hot. The card should slow itself down at 105c.

seany, that really helped. :D I removed the dust and the card didn't slow down so far.

Thanks for this idea!

Just dot forgot cleaning you PC inside case sometimes, not only software ;) :D

few weaks ago I cleanup GPU cooler and im forgot about artifacts in A2 :D!

Not many reviews on the 590 series drivers for Nvidia yet (other than bad ones). Is anyone using the newest drivers and have them working well??

Every 10 seconds I get a freeze that lasts for 5 seconds and then it stops and I can play but 10 seconds later it freezes agian and It does this non stop

But the thing is when the game is not frozen It play at 40FPS so why am I freezing?

SPECS:

CPU-AMD Athlon 4600+ 2.4ghz

GPU-ZOTAC GT440 512mb DDR5

RAM-3gb

Every 10 seconds I get a freeze that lasts for 5 seconds and then it stops and I can play but 10 seconds later it freezes agian and It does this non stop

But the thing is when the game is not frozen It play at 40FPS so why am I freezing?

SPECS:

RAM-3gb

Are you using the latest 295.73 WHQL nvidia drivers ? if yes roll back to a previous beta or to 285.62 WHQL, latest version is totally broken, look at this link for details

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=223426&st=0

SPECS:

RAM-3gb

What settings/resolution? Honestly it kind of sounds like it might be a VRAM limitation with that 512MB card.

There's an edited .ini floating around that lets you use the drivers on other cards.

Has anyone tested the 301.10 drivers/edited .ini? I haven't had a chance to try them yet, hopefully, I will be able to try them out this weekend and see how it works on a GTX 580.

Nomadd

Has anyone tested the 301.10 drivers/edited .ini? I haven't had a chance to try them yet, hopefully, I will be able to try them out this weekend and see how it works on a GTX 580.

Nomadd

running it with old GTX295 seems to be little better still get black receiving screen and will crash to desktop with game still running.

(Shift + keypad - then type flush will bring it back to normal )