Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

Not to keen on PC specs & wanted best possible notebook available to handle Arma 2 plus other games before mob to Iraq. I purchased the new ASUS G74SX series; Itel i7 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM, Storage 1TB....

Not sure if this is good or great but ArmA 2 Reinforcements game settings are all Very High (Max) and no issues.

Is there something else that I may need to add to this notebook before mob?

Thanks!

Not to keen on PC specs & wanted best possible notebook available to handle Arma 2 plus other games before mob to Iraq. I purchased the new ASUS G74SX series; Itel i7 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM, Storage 1TB....

Not sure if this is good or great but ArmA 2 Reinforcements game settings are all Very High (Max) and no issues.

Is there something else that I may need to add to this notebook before mob?

Thanks!

Dust filters and cleaning tools considering where you are going... Good luck by the way.

JGphins SSD drives work good with arma maybee throw one of them in and use an external for your storage

Arma2 OA Demo ran very well for me. Purchased the game and I get graphic errors as soon as the main menu is loaded. Looks like it is overheating but using the EVGA Precision software I see that it is not and temps are below 80 (which is below most of my games). The graphic errors are so bad I am unable to make it to the Video Setting from the main menu. After a few minutes of this the system either freezes or crashes. Took out the air can and the interior is now clean but still having problems. Why does the demo work but the full game does not?

I have tried a full uninstall re-install of graphic drivers and the game with no affect.

After spending the past three nights reading forums my mind is numb. Most of the help threads are too long to read all the way through and even google isn't helping much. Any advice is appreciated.

Specs:

Purchased and downloaded the full game via Steam.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

GTX 295 running 270.61. Also tried 275.33 drivers and had the same issues so I reverted to 270.61

Intel core i5 2500

Specs:

Purchased and downloaded the full game via Steam.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

GTX 295 running 270.61. Also tried 275.33 drivers and had the same issues so I reverted to 270.61

Intel core i5 2500

perhaps the install is not clean?

this is what I do to ensure a clean install

-uninstall gfx driver, reboot

-clean driver with some app like Driver Sweeper, reboot.

-install new driver, reboot.

-configure settings.

the 295 is a dual gpu card, it uses a SLI profile. is SLI enabled by default?

try v266.58 (i am using 2x gtx275, very similar gpu hardware)

266.58 is the driver I am using and SLI works great.

Thanks for the suggestion Ziggy. I feel like these days one should not have to reboot after uninstalling a graphics driver nor should we have to run a driver cleaner. But you may be right and the install isn't clean so I'll give that a try and install 266.58.

The think I don't get is why does the OA demo run without problems?

there are so many variables when it comes to something negatively affecting game performance that I like to eliminate a possible driver corruption foremost.

perhaps rebooting is not necessary, but the extra effort is worth my peace of mind. :o

report back with v266.58 results please!

-Ziggy-;1992278']report back with v266.58 results please!

Will do. I plan on using Guru's driver sweeper tonight.

Yes, I'd like to hear which driver works best as well. I've been having driver crashes in OA for what seems like a long time.

Uninstalled drivers. Unfortunately Guru3D's driver cleaner is no longer available. Rebooted system and search for any remnants of nvidia drivers (didn't find any). Rebooted one more time for good measure.

Install 266.58, and booted ArmAII OA. Still getting the same problems.

So....

I started from the top of the 3D properties in the Nvidia Control panel and changed one thing at a time. If changing a setting had no discernible affect I restored the settings to default.

Finally got to the Multi-GPU Rendering Mode. I assume this is SLI. I set it to Single GPU and everything worked fine. Was kinda surprised how smoothly it was running so I ran EVGA's Precision to verify only one core was being used, and it was.

So, I remember reading somewhere about a hack or trick to get SLI working. If I recall it had to do with a previous version of the game. Anyone have an idea to get both of my GPU's back in the game?

They should work automatically when you have SLI set to "nVidia Recommended". The only time you had to use a hack or trick was before the SLI profile came out in nVidia drivers. My SLI works fine, other than the driver crashes, and I'm not going to halve my performance by not using both cards. There is simply something wrong with the game or the drivers, and I'm leaning towards the game at this point, since I've never had a single driver crash with any other application, game or otherwise.

EDIT: Also, you want this if you want a driver cleaner: http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/

I first tried the Nvidia recommended setting with no luck. Neither do the two Alternate Rendering modes work. The problem I'm having isn't just low performance, its extreme graphical errors as soon as the main menu screen appears. Its so bad I am unable to use the main menu at all.

sadly, I've seen other examples where Arma2 does not like dual gpu cards, neither AMD or Nvidia. I mean two gpus in one card, not two cards.

what is the exe named for your Steam install?

perhaps provide some dxdiag info.

example: http://pastebin.com/3nMzuFLM

Maverick, which driver are you using?

our hardware and game settings are almost the same, except I am using ATOC=6

(i absolutely hate pixelated grass)

Currently I'm using the latest beta (280.xx), but I've had the same problem with several drivers in the past (i.e. none have really seemed better than the others)

New NViDiA WHQL drivers 280.26 released on 9.8.2011

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

This is the first WHQL-certified from the Release 280 family of drivers. You can read more about this family of drivers on GeForce.com.

This driver package supports GeForce 6, 7, 8, 9, 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500-series desktop GPUs as well as ION desktop GPUs. This driver package also includes the 3D Vision Controller driver.

They seem about the same to me. Did get a driver crash in OA 1.59 vanilla but that's pretty common for OA in my experience.

I understand so no reason for updating the drivers I keep the old ones :)

I do wonder sometimes if people with AMD cards get driver crashes in the same way, or if it's just an nVidia issue...

No problems to report.

Eh? 280.26 is the newest WHQL and there's no newer beta listed.

280.36 are dev drivers and RH linked to them.

There were some small fixes over 280.28 (also dev drivers) but I've had 0 issues with ArmA 2 for a long time now.