Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

Is English your first language?

No Irish why? can you not read my post? spelling mite not be up to standerd cos i type fast.

Edited by baz44331

No Irish why? can you not read my post? spelling mite not be up to standerd cos i type fast.

I type fast as well and my spelling and grammar are fine ;)

I type fast as well and my spelling and grammar are fine ;)

What age are you lol. Really need to get a grip guys this is geting sad, just because i was right about this issue, no need to get all childish, you can clearly read my post fine.

What age are you lol. Really need to get a grip guys this is geting sad, just because i was right about this issue, no need to get all childish, you can clearly read my post fine.

You weren't right about anything :rolleyes:

People moaning on forums doesn't mean there is some critcal flaw in hardware/software.

It's more likely a badly built PC or a poorly maintained OS than it is anything to do with the 4xx GPU or it's respective drivers.

my system specs.

Processor CPU: Intel i7 950 2.80 Ghz 4 Cores

Memory 8GB DDR3 Quad Chanel

Motherboard Asus P6T X58 Deluxe

Video Card 1.536GB Nvidia Geforce GTX480

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

built by a compainy about two weeks ago everything is clean and well built. so no lol, it happends to my two nvida cards 400 series. nvida KNOW about the problems as i said before. god man you dont listen. anyway back on topic guys this is get foolish,

my system specs.

Processor CPU: Intel i7 950 2.80 Ghz 4 Cores

Memory 8GB DDR3 Quad Chanel

Motherboard Asus P6T X58 Deluxe

Video Card 1.536GB Nvidia Geforce GTX480

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

built by a compainy about two weeks ago everything is clean and well built. so no lol, it happends to my two nvida cards 400 series. nvida KNOW about the problems as i said before. god man you dont listen. anyway back on topic guys this is get foolish,

Of course, because someone who gets his system built for him knows so much about what constitutes a well built and well maintained PC and because companies that build PCs always do a good job /sarcasm off.

I don't see anything in those links that shows an ongoing problem or that Nvidia has 'acknowledged' anything. The last post in the Dev-heaven link was over 3 months ago. The only thing I see following the Nvidia link is your post which no one has replied to.

You're right about one thing, this conversation is foolish.

Moving on :D

Edited by BangTail

ok you are blind hahahahahaha

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183681

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183075

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183537

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183413

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183536

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183152

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=176132

hehe ok i think you have the idea i could keep posting it all day with this problem. The reson its so old cos the have bothered to fix any of the problems lol and i posted one to see if it was just arma 2 or was it the card. and look no replied i rest my case. 400 serise are buged over the drivers end of,

i didint build the compter cos i have money hehe my days bulding rigs and geting stress out are over i can get some one todo it for me hahaha so dont just trowing out rash guests please. later zzzz

Edited by baz44331

I love the way he edits his posts every time, yet still it's the content of an eight year old, full of spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

I love the way he edits his posts every time, yet still it's the content of an eight year old, full of spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

Yep, he's on the ignore list.

I know some people think typing that way is 'clever' but it gives me a headache and what building one's own PC has to do with how much money one has I'll never know :rolleyes:

None of those links have anything to do with Arma 2, all random problems with assorted games (none of them Arma 2).

Edited by BangTail

Yep, he's on the ignore list.

Good thinking, Batman!

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

What I can't square away is that people who happily write like that expect us to believe they didn't typo cock up some configuration somewhere along the line?

Anyway, my GTX470 works faultlessly and overall, Nvidia have a pretty good reputation for their drivers, so, with a clear conscience, I'm putting this user's problems down to PEBCAK.

OMG are you for real hahaha im talking about the card them links are to do with bugs from the card hahaha i cant beleave you did not understand that. not arma, im not english so please ignore my mistakes. although i have alot of mate from there that have no problem reading my post but hay you cant please everyone.

Good thinking, Batman!

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

What I can't square away is that people who happily write like that expect us to believe they didn't typo cock up some configuration somewhere along the line?

Anyway, my 470GTX works faultlessly and overall, Nvidia have a pretty good reputation for their drivers, so, with a clear conscience, I'm putting this user's problems down to PEBCAK.

Yah, never had any problems with my 480s either and just ordered a 6870 for my HTPC as they are really pretty impressive.

I'm not going to go down the AMD road vis a vis gaming until AMD and Nvidia release their flagship cards (Nov/Dec) but if the Crossfire scaling really is as good as the reviewers are saying it is (and this is confirmed by end users), it may be time for big red again :)

Time will tell.

Apparently that awesome company that built his computer didn't know that X58's are made for triple channel so 8gb was semi pointless

I'm thinking of getting a GTX 460, 1GB, but I'm torn on something.

I have a 260GTX atm, it works very well with ArmA II, and Arrowhead, but "once in a while" the textures on buildings take a few seconds to draw. I'm guessing it's just the memory trying to catch up at certain moments, but I'm not sure.

My question is; Considering how large ArmA II worlds are, and the fact that the GTX 460 only has a 256-bit memory interface, will this be a bottleneck next to my slower GTX 260 in regards to large overhead redraws, (like when your in an airplane)? There's no question that all the other specs of the 460 blow my card out of the water, but I'm really concerned about the fact that the 460 has a memory interface half that of my older 448-bit memory interface of the 200 series? The bandwidth in still a tinny bit higher on the 460, but if not by much, am I going to achieve further drawing distances while in the air? Is there some other architecture at play that makes up for the narrow memory interface of the newer 400 series?

I'm not sure what technology specs matter for the two issues I've stated. Would it be safe to say that the delay in the textures is related to the fill rate?

And the overhead distances would be more related to memory bandwidth?

Thanks

I run ArmA-II with these settings:

2048 x 1152 native resolution of screen

FSAA in game = Disabled

Terrain = High

Textures = Very High

Filtering = High

Shadows = Normal

Post = Disabled

Edited by starstreams

I'm thinking of getting a GTX 460, 1GB, but I'm torn on something.

I have a 260GTX atm, it works very well with ArmA II, and Arrowhead, but "once in a while" the textures on buildings take a few seconds to draw. I'm guessing it's just the memory trying to catch up at certain moments, but I'm not sure.

My question is; Considering how large ArmA II worlds are, and the fact that the GTX 460 only has a 256-bit memory interface, will this be a bottleneck next to my slower GTX 260 in regards to large overhead redraws, (like when your in an airplane)? There's no question that all the other specs of the 460 blow my card out of the water, but I'm really concerned about the fact that the 460 has memory interface half that of my older 448-bit memory interface? Is there some other architecture at play that makes up for the more narrow interface of the newer 400 series?

Thanks

I run ArmA-II with these settings:

2048 x 1152 native resolution of screen

FSAA in game = disabled

Terrain = High

Textures = Very High

Filtering = High

Shadows = Normal

Post = disabled

I think the slow loading of textures is more to do with storage bandwidth. If you want to cure that, get an SSD or RAMDISK.

The 460 is a good card though. Sometimes I look at my 470 and think "damn, you expensive, room heating, white elephant. Why did I buy you instead of a 460?"

The 460 is a good card though. Sometimes I look at my 470 and think "damn, you expensive, room heating, white elephant. Why did I buy you instead of a 460?"

ya, that makes sense Tankbuster. Being that I never defrag my drives anymore, and the fact that my 260 has only 896 mem instead of 1GB, maybe that's whats happening.

Just out of curiosity, not sure what card you had before, but did you notice quicker redraws with trees, plants and ground textures when looking down from airplanes "after" you picked up the 400 cards?

The game is pretty smooth with my 260 on a 3.0 core 2 with 4GBs memory, but I would really like to get better overhead redraws, maybe the SSD would help that also I guess. I'll look into it, Thanks

I had an 8800GTX before.

I always thought a better VD was dependent more on the CPU than the GPU, but I'm forced to rethink that now. With the same CPU but my new GPU, considerably better VD is useable now. This is on a PCI-E motherboard too, so the mobo is holding the GPU back quite a bit.

In answer to your question, yes, all-round performance is greatly improved, including ground textures seen from the air.

Apparently that awesome company that built his computer didn't know that X58's are made for triple channel so 8gb was semi pointless

So what does this mean? it wont use all the ram? the computer recognizes it though. does it mean it will only use the double ram sticks?

EDIT..... ok everything is fix with the GRAPHICS card lol

new patch 260.99 WHQL release today.

As for Peterson i believe your talking out of your ass lol. where did your get that from haha.

I could not believe i was talking to you guys about a graphics card bug and you two where talking about arma lol nice. foolish yes lol.

But in the end i was right they where working on it haha. end of :D

ok think im done here later,

Edited by baz44331

Tankbuster, I just picked up the EVGA GTX-460 1024MB SC tonight. The first 10 mins of ArmA-II the performance was choppy for some reason, but like my other nVidea cards, it eventually worked itself out. It's odd, but it seems like these nVidea cards have to get use to the system, and then they get more efficient over time. However, I'm having an issue with ground textures and some buildings on the island Chernarus.

I think I might need to try a different driver because I'm getting blurry ground textures on the dirt, grass, and some of the roads are extremely blurry in the game. sometimes if I look at them for a long time, they clear up, but not always. Everything always looked incredible with my GTX-260 card, so I'm guessing this has to be a driver issues. I'm currently running. v260.99-WHQL XP 32-bit. Just out of curiosity, which driver did you find success with?

Edited by starstreams

I'm using the latest.. 160 something - I'm not at my gaming PC at the moment.

Having posted what some might see as a defence of Nvidia, their drivers and hardware, yesterday I spent 30 seconds looking at an uncommanded and unexpected "receiving" black screen and feared I'd be eating the humble pie, but like yours, it sorted itself out and has been flawless ever since.

I've never had to do the previous driver quickstep, they've always been reliable for me.

I havn't had the black screen thing, but when I was at the store yesterday, there was a stack of these things that were marked as reduced price because they had been open. I've seen this before with mother boards. I still bought it because I know that sometimes people will read something on the net and think they got something bad so everyone runs back and returns their stuff.

Well I've got 30 days to use this, and it's got a life time warranty so it's not the end of the world if I did keep it. I don't know, if I can't get this texture issue sorted out in the next 10 days, I might return it and wait for the next line of cards. It's 200 bucks, and performance wise I didn't noticed any difference from my 260, but I know it's a faster card at the hardware level. It's just something is not right atm, I really hope it's a driver problem and not some flaw with the GDDR5.

I read that one of the features of GDDR5 over 3, is that it can optimize it self to your specific system by finding the best timing internally. I thought maybe these blurry textures was a result of the GDDR5 being in the process of finding it's optimal settings. But I would think that would happen in a min or less.

Edited by starstreams

Gosh, you have done your research! Much more than me. :)

I'm not going to chance it,

Edit: I returned the GTX 460-1024 SC, and waiting for something newer, or an update from someone in the community. I put the 260 back in. The 460 did feel a little quicker now that I've compared them. But I can't deal with this texture refresh issue. I have to actually stand over the ground an look at the surface for about 10 seconds before the textures begin to sharpen. Something is not right. It could be a driver issue, or maybe the fact that EVGA overclocked the card. They may have gotten more speed from the core, but may have also introduced other timing/bus refresh issues. I can't speculate that their engineers wouldn't have checked this, but maybe they can't, or have not on this particular game. I have no idea what could cause something like this. It almost seems like at times the card doesn't know what angle your viewing the surfaces and possibly can't determine Anisotropic filtering at certain moments. I just hope this isn't a technology conflict where something new has replaced something old, but not been tested on the ArmA engine.

This is what the ground, and tree textures should look like "all the time". These were taken on my GTX-260:

copy and paste links

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/2oa_lg/arma2oa_2010-08-15_14-21-18-81s.jpg

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/arma2_lg/arma2_2010-05-09_17-42-27-56s.jpg

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/arma2_lg/arma2_2010-05-09_18-19-19-12s.jpg

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/2oa_lg/arma2oa_2010-08-15_15-02-35-25s.jpg

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/2oa_lg/arma2oa_2010-08-15_15-00-29-64s.jpg

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/arma2-2010-10-26-15-55-33-06.jpg

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/arma2-2010-10-26-15-59-50-60.jpg

http://www.pyramid-of-wisdom.com/arma2-2010-10-26-16-02-27-67.jpg

Edited by starstreams